Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 30, 2009
3:34:21 PM
Update broke my Dolby 5.1 setup

The update AT&T pushed out a couple of days ago, broke my Dolby 5.1 setup. I have my AVR connected via Toslink and my HDTV connected via HDMI.

If I set the output for 5.1 surround, my HDTV goes silent. If I set it for stereo, then no surround from my AVR.

I need it like it used to be, where we could use the TV speakers without turning on the AVR, and get surround from the AVR without having to change any settings.

U-verse, please fix this so we can go back to enjoying the service the way it was.

The update AT&T pushed out a couple of days ago, broke my Dolby 5.1 setup. I have my AVR connected via Toslink and my HDTV connected via HDMI.

If I set the output for 5.1 surround, my HDTV goes silent. If I set it for stereo, then no surround from my AVR.

I need it like it used to be, where we could use the TV speakers without turning on the AVR, and get surround from the AVR without having to change any settings.

U-verse, please fix this so we can go back to enjoying the service the way it was.

Update broke my Dolby 5.1 setup

21 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(21)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 4:39:06 PM
(0)
Scholar
Should be a fix in a few days, atleast from what I am reading on here....
Should be a fix in a few days, atleast from what I am reading on here....

Re: Update broke my Dolby 5.1 setup

2 of 22 (528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 4:57:20 PM
(0)
Employee

It fixes itself when your city has finished updating.

If not working in about 4 days from the time you got the update call support.

It fixes itself when your city has finished updating.

If not working in about 4 days from the time you got the update call support.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

3 of 22 (528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 9:26:15 PM
(0)
Scholar
The update broke it because the digital out function now supports "stereo" and "surround sound".  You have to go to the Menu > Options > Language/Audio Settings > Digital Audio Out..... set to surround sound.  Should fix it right up.  I had the same issue and that fixed it.
The update broke it because the digital out function now supports "stereo" and "surround sound".  You have to go to the Menu > Options > Language/Audio Settings > Digital Audio Out..... set to surround sound.  Should fix it right up.  I had the same issue and that fixed it.

4 of 22 (528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 9:50:53 PM
(0)
Tutor

pennmw83 wrote:

Doesn't work. When set to surround sound, my HDTV goes silent.

pennmw83 wrote:

5 of 22 (528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 11:00:47 PM
(0)
Guru

parksnaro wrote:

pennmw83 wrote:

Please read this thread.

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=thdvr&message.id=4801#M4801

parksnaro wrote:

pennmw83 wrote:

Please read this thread.

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=thdvr&message.id=4801#M4801

6 of 22 (528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2009 7:22:35 AM
(0)
Expert

parksnaro wrote:

Unfortunately, that is not going to happen.  Your setup was taking advantage of the manner in which the box previously operated, which wasn't actually correct.  The new update is going to end up removing this functionality for you.

Here is the issue: Previously, there was no choice in how the digital audio was output from the box.  Optical output was 2.0-channel PCM on SD channels, or 5.1 Dolby Digital (DD) on HD channels, both of which could be handled by your AVR.  HDMI audio output was always 2.0 PCM regardless, which could be handled by your TV.

But your TV will only handle PCM audio on the HDMI input.  This is the root of the problem, because under the new system, the following happens:

Surround sound option set to stereo: Optical outputs 2.0 PCM always, HDMI outputs 2.0 PCM always.  This works for your TV, but doesn't give you 5.1 audio on the HD channels.

Surround sound option set to surround sound: Optical outputs 5.1 DD, HDMI outputs 5.1 DD.  This works for your AVR, but your TV cannot decode the DD audio on HDMI, so your TV is silent.

What you actually need is independent control of the audio options on each output, but that is not available.

Recommendation: Switch TV connection to component video with RCA L/R audio.  RCA L/R audio is always output as stereo regardless of the surround sound setting.  This will get you 2.0 audio on the TV at all times, and a properly calibrated picture as well (HDMI from the AT&T U-Verse boxes has a black level problem that is impossible to calibrate out for many TVs).

parksnaro wrote:

Unfortunately, that is not going to happen.  Your setup was taking advantage of the manner in which the box previously operated, which wasn't actually correct.  The new update is going to end up removing this functionality for you.

Here is the issue: Previously, there was no choice in how the digital audio was output from the box.  Optical output was 2.0-channel PCM on SD channels, or 5.1 Dolby Digital (DD) on HD channels, both of which could be handled by your AVR.  HDMI audio output was always 2.0 PCM regardless, which could be handled by your TV.

But your TV will only handle PCM audio on the HDMI input.  This is the root of the problem, because under the new system, the following happens:

Surround sound option set to stereo: Optical outputs 2.0 PCM always, HDMI outputs 2.0 PCM always.  This works for your TV, but doesn't give you 5.1 audio on the HD channels.

Surround sound option set to surround sound: Optical outputs 5.1 DD, HDMI outputs 5.1 DD.  This works for your AVR, but your TV cannot decode the DD audio on HDMI, so your TV is silent.

What you actually need is independent control of the audio options on each output, but that is not available.

Recommendation: Switch TV connection to component video with RCA L/R audio.  RCA L/R audio is always output as stereo regardless of the surround sound setting.  This will get you 2.0 audio on the TV at all times, and a properly calibrated picture as well (HDMI from the AT&T U-Verse boxes has a black level problem that is impossible to calibrate out for many TVs).

7 of 22 (528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2009 7:26:28 AM
(0)
Scholar

parksnaro wrote:

Here is a suggestion.  I am not sure if this is correct, but something to think about.  If you have the 5.1 from the STB to your AVR via Toslink and your HDTV is connected to the STB via HDMI that might be the problem.  Before the update HDMI with U-Verse did not support 5.1 audio, now it does.  Maybe your STB is not sure which output to send the 5.1 audio through since both HDMI and a Toslink cable are connected.  Not sure if your AVR supports an HDMI connection but you can try that or switch to component video cables (some say you can notice picture quality differences with this instead of HDMI but everyone has different preferences) with the Toslink.  If you chose that remember to set the audio options on the STB to surround.  Just a thought.

parksnaro wrote:

Here is a suggestion.  I am not sure if this is correct, but something to think about.  If you have the 5.1 from the STB to your AVR via Toslink and your HDTV is connected to the STB via HDMI that might be the problem.  Before the update HDMI with U-Verse did not support 5.1 audio, now it does.  Maybe your STB is not sure which output to send the 5.1 audio through since both HDMI and a Toslink cable are connected.  Not sure if your AVR supports an HDMI connection but you can try that or switch to component video cables (some say you can notice picture quality differences with this instead of HDMI but everyone has different preferences) with the Toslink.  If you chose that remember to set the audio options on the STB to surround.  Just a thought.

8 of 22 (528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2009 11:30:47 AM
(0)
Contributor
Has anyone experienced what sounds like a sound malfunction when using the 5.1 sound output option on the STB, going through HDMI to the HDTV?  I first tried out the new sound option last night.  I was watching a recorded HD show (DVR is in another room).  Initially, the sound option made the audio from my Samsung (LN40a650) sound better, but after a few minutes, the audio suddenly turned into a louder, garbledy, noise with very short dropouts (scared the heck out of my wife who was dozing off).
Has anyone experienced what sounds like a sound malfunction when using the 5.1 sound output option on the STB, going through HDMI to the HDTV?  I first tried out the new sound option last night.  I was watching a recorded HD show (DVR is in another room).  Initially, the sound option made the audio from my Samsung (LN40a650) sound better, but after a few minutes, the audio suddenly turned into a louder, garbledy, noise with very short dropouts (scared the heck out of my wife who was dozing off).

9 of 22 (528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2009 12:00:32 PM
(0)
Scholar
was the show recorded before the Phase 2 upgrade?   I wonder if there will be issues with shows recorded before the upgrade being played on the upgraded software.  :smileysad:
was the show recorded before the Phase 2 upgrade?   I wonder if there will be issues with shows recorded before the upgrade being played on the upgraded software.  :smileysad:

10 of 22 (528 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2009 1:31:26 PM
(0)
Guru

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

parksnaro wrote:

Great explanation. I haven't got the update yet but now I won't have to scratch my head about the changes. I guess I'll just set my tv to stereo when I'm watching the lcd without the stereo system on and switch it to surround when I turn it on. I just won't be able to have both going anymore from what you posted. 

Message Edited by caliuser on 07-01-2009 01:32 PM

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

parksnaro wrote:

Great explanation. I haven't got the update yet but now I won't have to scratch my head about the changes. I guess I'll just set my tv to stereo when I'm watching the lcd without the stereo system on and switch it to surround when I turn it on. I just won't be able to have both going anymore from what you posted. 

Message Edited by caliuser on 07-01-2009 01:32 PM

11 of 22 (142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2009 2:42:06 PM
(0)
Tutor

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Thanks, I'll try the component connection. Are the RCA outs variable? I was thinking of connecting powered speakers to them.

The reason I ask is, I was trying to change the volume on my TV with a Harmony remote when a U-verse volume bar popped up on my screen. I had never seen this using the Uverse remote and assumed it was a volume indicator for the RCA outs. Also, I wonder how you program the Uverse remote to control the STB volume?

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Thanks, I'll try the component connection. Are the RCA outs variable? I was thinking of connecting powered speakers to them.

The reason I ask is, I was trying to change the volume on my TV with a Harmony remote when a U-verse volume bar popped up on my screen. I had never seen this using the Uverse remote and assumed it was a volume indicator for the RCA outs. Also, I wonder how you program the Uverse remote to control the STB volume?

12 of 22 (142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 1, 2009 2:47:57 PM
(0)
Expert

parksnaro wrote:

Yes, the RCA outs are variable, the U-Verse box has a volume control for them.  As for programming the remote, I don't have that in front of me, but there is a remote programming guide in a thread here somewhere (check the equipment forum, it might be in the sticky up at the top).

I use a Harmony remote myself, so I'm not that familiar with the U-Verse remote.

Be aware that on the variable audio out, I am assuming that it does not alter the digital audio at all (that is the way it is set up in the STB firmware from before the THDVR update), but I am not sure that they haven't changed this in the new THDVR phase 2 firmware.  (I don't have the phase 2 firmware yet, so I can't verify).

In the previous firmware, if you turn the variable audio down to 0, it mutes all the digital audio outputs.  The variable audio must be at 1 or higher to get the 5.1 DD optical or 2.0 HDMI digital audio feeds.

parksnaro wrote:

Yes, the RCA outs are variable, the U-Verse box has a volume control for them.  As for programming the remote, I don't have that in front of me, but there is a remote programming guide in a thread here somewhere (check the equipment forum, it might be in the sticky up at the top).

I use a Harmony remote myself, so I'm not that familiar with the U-Verse remote.

Be aware that on the variable audio out, I am assuming that it does not alter the digital audio at all (that is the way it is set up in the STB firmware from before the THDVR update), but I am not sure that they haven't changed this in the new THDVR phase 2 firmware.  (I don't have the phase 2 firmware yet, so I can't verify).

In the previous firmware, if you turn the variable audio down to 0, it mutes all the digital audio outputs.  The variable audio must be at 1 or higher to get the 5.1 DD optical or 2.0 HDMI digital audio feeds.

13 of 22 (142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2009 8:30:12 AM
(0)
Mentor

I don't see a Menu/Options/Audio option on my motorola box.

Where do I set up the 5.1 sound?

14 of 22 (142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2009 8:35:52 AM
(0)
Guru

jbodean96 wrote:

You probably do not have the hotfix yet for the audio options if you just recently received the Phase II update. The hotfix will follow in a few days.

jbodean96 wrote:

You probably do not have the hotfix yet for the audio options if you just recently received the Phase II update. The hotfix will follow in a few days.

15 of 22 (142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2009 8:46:03 AM
(0)
Mentor

Guy at tech support told me that "there is no option to select this, the box/reveiver automatically detects it"

Guy at tech support told me that "there is no option to select this, the box/reveiver automatically detects it"

16 of 22 (142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2009 9:01:16 AM
(0)
Expert

jbodean96 wrote:

"Guy at tech support" is clueless as usual.

jbodean96 wrote:

"Guy at tech support" is clueless as usual.

17 of 22 (142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2009 9:06:40 AM
(0)
Mentor

He also said HDMI will not do 5.1, period.

My option (as my current setup is) is HDMI to reveiver, Optical from STB to receiver, HDMI out to tv.  I was hoping eliminate the optical need, but looks like this can't be done?

My option (as my current setup is) is HDMI to reveiver, Optical from STB to receiver, HDMI out to tv.  I was hoping eliminate the optical need, but looks like this can't be done?

18 of 22 (142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 2, 2009 10:53:01 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

jbodean96 wrote:

Does he have Uverse?  Too many people have posted the opposite who have and are using the service.

jbodean96 wrote:

Does he have Uverse?  Too many people have posted the opposite who have and are using the service.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

19 of 22 (142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2009 8:37:42 PM
(0)
Scholar

I am experiencing intermittant audio drops when using the "surround sound" setting to get DD 5.1 with either HDMI or toslink. I have tried other DD sources with my preamp with no drops, so I am inclined to believe the problem is with the set top box. I have tried two diffetent boxes with the same result though.

Setting the digital audio output to "stereo" to get 2 channel PCM works fine (no drops) but at the cost of using the preamp to use PLII processing which is significtanly worse than DD.

Anyone else having similar problems? 

I am experiencing intermittant audio drops when using the "surround sound" setting to get DD 5.1 with either HDMI or toslink. I have tried other DD sources with my preamp with no drops, so I am inclined to believe the problem is with the set top box. I have tried two diffetent boxes with the same result though.

Setting the digital audio output to "stereo" to get 2 channel PCM works fine (no drops) but at the cost of using the preamp to use PLII processing which is significtanly worse than DD.

Anyone else having similar problems? 

20 of 22 (142 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2009 4:50:25 AM
(0)
Contributor

Yup.  While I can't say anything about 5.1 using Toslink, I have the same problem with HDMI.  Please see my earlier post:

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=thdvr&message.id=5597#M5597

Yup.  While I can't say anything about 5.1 using Toslink, I have the same problem with HDMI.  Please see my earlier post:

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=thdvr&message.id=5597#M5597

21 of 22 (191 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 24, 2009 10:56:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
I don't know if either of you have tried this, but unplug the ac cable from the stb for 30 seconds and then reconnect it.  (Hard reset)  Go to audio settings and make sure surround is selected.  Then see if drop outs continue.
Message Edited by RCSMG on 07-24-2009 10:57 AM
I don't know if either of you have tried this, but unplug the ac cable from the stb for 30 seconds and then reconnect it.  (Hard reset)  Go to audio settings and make sure surround is selected.  Then see if drop outs continue.
Message Edited by RCSMG on 07-24-2009 10:57 AM
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

22 of 22 (191 Views)