Update broke my Dolby 5.1 setup

Tutor

Update broke my Dolby 5.1 setup

The update AT&T pushed out a couple of days ago, broke my Dolby 5.1 setup. I have my AVR connected via Toslink and my HDTV connected via HDMI.

If I set the output for 5.1 surround, my HDTV goes silent. If I set it for stereo, then no surround from my AVR.

I need it like it used to be, where we could use the TV speakers without turning on the AVR, and get surround from the AVR without having to change any settings.

U-verse, please fix this so we can go back to enjoying the service the way it was.

Message 1 of 22 (561 Views)
Scholar

Re: Update broke my Dolby 5.1 setup

Should be a fix in a few days, atleast from what I am reading on here....
Message 2 of 22 (559 Views)
Employee

It fixes itself when your city has finished updating.

If not working in about 4 days from the time you got the update call support.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 22 (559 Views)
Scholar

The update broke it because the digital out function now supports "stereo" and "surround sound".  You have to go to the Menu > Options > Language/Audio Settings > Digital Audio Out..... set to surround sound.  Should fix it right up.  I had the same issue and that fixed it.
Message 4 of 22 (559 Views)
Tutor

pennmw83 wrote:
The update broke it because the digital out function now supports "stereo" and "surround sound".  You have to go to the Menu > Options > Language/Audio Settings > Digital Audio Out..... set to surround sound.  Should fix it right up.  I had the same issue and that fixed it.

Doesn't work. When set to surround sound, my HDTV goes silent.
Message 5 of 22 (559 Views)
Guru

parksnaro wrote:

pennmw83 wrote:

Doesn't work. When set to surround sound, my HDTV goes silent.

Please read this thread.

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=thdvr&message.id=4801#M4801
Message 6 of 22 (559 Views)
Expert

parksnaro wrote:
I need it like it used to be, where we could use the TV speakers without turning on the AVR, and get surround from the AVR without having to change any settings.

Unfortunately, that is not going to happen.  Your setup was taking advantage of the manner in which the box previously operated, which wasn't actually correct.  The new update is going to end up removing this functionality for you.

Here is the issue: Previously, there was no choice in how the digital audio was output from the box.  Optical output was 2.0-channel PCM on SD channels, or 5.1 Dolby Digital (DD) on HD channels, both of which could be handled by your AVR.  HDMI audio output was always 2.0 PCM regardless, which could be handled by your TV.

But your TV will only handle PCM audio on the HDMI input.  This is the root of the problem, because under the new system, the following happens:

Surround sound option set to stereo: Optical outputs 2.0 PCM always, HDMI outputs 2.0 PCM always.  This works for your TV, but doesn't give you 5.1 audio on the HD channels.

Surround sound option set to surround sound: Optical outputs 5.1 DD, HDMI outputs 5.1 DD.  This works for your AVR, but your TV cannot decode the DD audio on HDMI, so your TV is silent.

What you actually need is independent control of the audio options on each output, but that is not available.

Recommendation: Switch TV connection to component video with RCA L/R audio.  RCA L/R audio is always output as stereo regardless of the surround sound setting.  This will get you 2.0 audio on the TV at all times, and a properly calibrated picture as well (HDMI from the AT&T U-Verse boxes has a black level problem that is impossible to calibrate out for many TVs).

Message 7 of 22 (559 Views)
Scholar

parksnaro wrote:

The update AT&T pushed out a couple of days ago, broke my Dolby 5.1 setup. I have my AVR connected via Toslink and my HDTV connected via HDMI.

If I set the output for 5.1 surround, my HDTV goes silent. If I set it for stereo, then no surround from my AVR.

U-verse, please fix this so we can go back to enjoying the service the way it was.

Here is a suggestion.  I am not sure if this is correct, but something to think about.  If you have the 5.1 from the STB to your AVR via Toslink and your HDTV is connected to the STB via HDMI that might be the problem.  Before the update HDMI with U-Verse did not support 5.1 audio, now it does.  Maybe your STB is not sure which output to send the 5.1 audio through since both HDMI and a Toslink cable are connected.  Not sure if your AVR supports an HDMI connection but you can try that or switch to component video cables (some say you can notice picture quality differences with this instead of HDMI but everyone has different preferences) with the Toslink.  If you chose that remember to set the audio options on the STB to surround.  Just a thought.
Message 8 of 22 (559 Views)
Contributor

Has anyone experienced what sounds like a sound malfunction when using the 5.1 sound output option on the STB, going through HDMI to the HDTV?  I first tried out the new sound option last night.  I was watching a recorded HD show (DVR is in another room).  Initially, the sound option made the audio from my Samsung (LN40a650) sound better, but after a few minutes, the audio suddenly turned into a louder, garbledy, noise with very short dropouts (scared the heck out of my wife who was dozing off).
Message 9 of 22 (559 Views)
Scholar

was the show recorded before the Phase 2 upgrade?   I wonder if there will be issues with shows recorded before the upgrade being played on the upgraded software.  :smileysad:
Message 10 of 22 (559 Views)
Guru

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

parksnaro wrote:

Unfortunately, that is not going to happen.  Your setup was taking advantage of the manner in which the box previously operated, which wasn't actually correct.  The new update is going to end up removing this functionality for you.

Here is the issue: Previously, there was no choice in how the digital audio was output from the box.  Optical output was 2.0-channel PCM on SD channels, or 5.1 Dolby Digital (DD) on HD channels, both of which could be handled by your AVR.  HDMI audio output was always 2.0 PCM regardless, which could be handled by your TV.

But your TV will only handle PCM audio on the HDMI input.  This is the root of the problem, because under the new system, the following happens:

Surround sound option set to stereo: Optical outputs 2.0 PCM always, HDMI outputs 2.0 PCM always.  This works for your TV, but doesn't give you 5.1 audio on the HD channels.

Surround sound option set to surround sound: Optical outputs 5.1 DD, HDMI outputs 5.1 DD.  This works for your AVR, but your TV cannot decode the DD audio on HDMI, so your TV is silent.

What you actually need is independent control of the audio options on each output, but that is not available.

Recommendation: Switch TV connection to component video with RCA L/R audio.  RCA L/R audio is always output as stereo regardless of the surround sound setting.  This will get you 2.0 audio on the TV at all times, and a properly calibrated picture as well (HDMI from the AT&T U-Verse boxes has a black level problem that is impossible to calibrate out for many TVs).

Great explanation. I haven't got the update yet but now I won't have to scratch my head about the changes. I guess I'll just set my tv to stereo when I'm watching the lcd without the stereo system on and switch it to surround when I turn it on. I just won't be able to have both going anymore from what you posted. 

Message Edited by caliuser on 07-01-2009 01:32 PM
Message 11 of 22 (173 Views)
Tutor

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Thanks, I'll try the component connection. Are the RCA outs variable? I was thinking of connecting powered speakers to them.

The reason I ask is, I was trying to change the volume on my TV with a Harmony remote when a U-verse volume bar popped up on my screen. I had never seen this using the Uverse remote and assumed it was a volume indicator for the RCA outs. Also, I wonder how you program the Uverse remote to control the STB volume?

Message 12 of 22 (173 Views)
Expert

parksnaro wrote:
Thanks, I'll try the component connection. Are the RCA outs variable? I was thinking of connecting powered speakers to them.

The reason I ask is, I was trying to change the volume on my TV with a Harmony remote when a U-verse volume bar popped up on my screen. I had never seen this using the Uverse remote and assumed it was a volume indicator for the RCA outs. Also, I wonder how you program the Uverse remote to control the STB volume?

Yes, the RCA outs are variable, the U-Verse box has a volume control for them.  As for programming the remote, I don't have that in front of me, but there is a remote programming guide in a thread here somewhere (check the equipment forum, it might be in the sticky up at the top).

I use a Harmony remote myself, so I'm not that familiar with the U-Verse remote.

Be aware that on the variable audio out, I am assuming that it does not alter the digital audio at all (that is the way it is set up in the STB firmware from before the THDVR update), but I am not sure that they haven't changed this in the new THDVR phase 2 firmware.  (I don't have the phase 2 firmware yet, so I can't verify).

In the previous firmware, if you turn the variable audio down to 0, it mutes all the digital audio outputs.  The variable audio must be at 1 or higher to get the 5.1 DD optical or 2.0 HDMI digital audio feeds.

Message 13 of 22 (173 Views)
Mentor

I don't see a Menu/Options/Audio option on my motorola box.

Where do I set up the 5.1 sound?

Message 14 of 22 (173 Views)
Guru

jbodean96 wrote:

I don't see a Menu/Options/Audio option on my motorola box.

Where do I set up the 5.1 sound?

You probably do not have the hotfix yet for the audio options if you just recently received the Phase II update. The hotfix will follow in a few days.
Message 15 of 22 (173 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.