UVerse RealTime Question

Scholar

UVerse RealTime Question

To SomeJoe7777,

I am kind of concerned that my signal isn't the way it should be since my neighbors on either side of me have a 32,5 profile and I have the 25,2. After taking these screen shots I dug into the readme for the RealTime program and think there are issues with FEC rate, Attenuation, Noise Margin, Power Levels and BitLoading. Everything I read pointed me in the direction of a  "Bridge Tap" problem.

Armed with that possibility, I called support and was told they looked on the computer and didn't see any problem, and unless I was getting pixilation or freezing they wouldn't come out to investigate. But for $55 they would send a tech to investigate with no guarantee of results.

Could you look at these screen shots and tell me if my theory of a "Bridge Tap" issue holds water?  And if so, how to proceed?

Thanks

Don

2374iEFCBED8E6D070FB5

2372iCD82D7E37FA2E922

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 22
Scholar

Re: UVerse RealTime Question

Monday 4:30 PM

After 5 hours of the line tech checking everything from the VRAD to my house, he found a few things to fix. Junction boxes with old rusty wires, connections causing interference ect. Sure enough, on his computer it shows my line now getting 44K down and 6K up. But even though RealTime and his computer indicates a bridge tap, none was to be found.

His theory is that the problem may lie with the ethernet cable the installer ran to to the RG. So he called the shop and a prem tech is scheduled to come out tomorrow. He thew out the caveat that the prem tech may pass it back to the line tech group, but they would work that out tomorrow.

He did say that the line is now good enough to support the higher profile of 32,5 and he would find a "co-operative" level 2 support person to make the change.

As I'm typing the TVs froze, RG beboots and WOO-HOO I'm now 32,5. :smileyhappy::smileyhappy:

Note: When the 32,5 profile loaded, the bridge tap indication practically disappeared. The tech just called to let me know the RG would be rebooting in a few minutes, I told him it already did and the BitLoading appears much better, he checked on his computer and said that never happened before.

Moral of the story is twofold:

1, That AT&T has worked hard to satisfy a customer, and succeeded. :smileyhappy::smileyhappy:  I'm liking my UVerse even better now !!!

2. The RealTime program from SomeJoe7777 works excellently and allows the customer to communicate with techs in almost their language.

Heres the before and after of todays work.

Before:

2414iE5042BD663B7888C

2416i65D0EF6692BABA64

After:

2418i3D138BFE75F01C1B

2420i5A027DE7CFE99406

Tags (1)
Message 16 of 22
Expert

There's still a tap somewhere.  Maybe the premises tech can find it within that home run.

The bitloading at least looks like the line can carry the high frequencies.  I'll be curious when they finally get the tap found what it looks like.

Tags (1)
Message 17 of 22
Scholar

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

There's still a tap somewhere.  Maybe the premises tech can find it within that home run.

The bitloading at least looks like the line can carry the high frequencies.  I'll be curious when they finally get the tap found what it looks like.

The install tech ran a brand new Cat5 from the NID to the RG. Maybe the new wire got crimped or scraped when pulling it through the attic/closet fish ? Anyway it'll get checked out tomorrow.

The line tech put about 50 twists on the 2 wires in the NID and that cleared up alot of the interference. I asked if that made it a twisted pair and we both got a good laugh.

Tags (1)
Message 18 of 22
Scholar

Tuesday 8:15 am

The prem tech arrived first thing this morning and ran a check on the wiring with meters. He added a device inside the NID, which I think was called a banding (sp) ?, and grounded a wire. He said he always puts one on his installs because he feels it eliminates some interference, thinks other techs don't because its not always needed.

After doing that, booted RG and it looks like my BitLoading, Noise Level, Power and Max Rate all improved.

While not perfect, it certainly appears to me that AT&T has done a good job getting my service to totally satisfactory levels.

2428i8C9EE9C42B25B3F7 

2430i9172E8B8B077AC0B

On a different subject, does anyone know what the large button with the wireless icon on the front of the modem is for?

My neice pushed it over the weekend and it started flashing. I tried pushing it again but the flashing continued, and all my UVerse TVs and wireless remained on, so I rebooted the modem to stop the flashing.

Tags (1)
Message 19 of 22
Expert

Can't see your screenshots yet (but you know that by now). :smileywink:

The skeleton key button is for sharing wireless with Guests.

Tags (1)
Message 20 of 22
Scholar

spd2demun wrote:

Can't see your screenshots yet (but you know that by now). :smileywink:

The skeleton key button is for sharing wireless with Guests.

Can you explain that feature, or is there a thread about it?

I did a search, but only came up something where you said you can activate it back in March.

Also had asked the prem tech this morning, but he had no idea.

Edit:

Found it under Big Button and answer was:

Randy has given y'all the correct answer TWICE!  :smileyhappy:

1) It is a Guest Pass to allow visitors to your home to access your Wireless without giving them your password.

2) It does NOTHING, AT&T has the feature turned off.

Message 21 of 22
Highlighted
Expert

Yeah, I was coming back to FINISH my post...power went out here and I was using Ethernet. :smileymad:

But, you found it and that's the story. :smileywink:

Message 22 of 22
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support