Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 3, 2010
7:10:21 PM
View profile
UVerse RealTime Question

To SomeJoe7777,

I am kind of concerned that my signal isn't the way it should be since my neighbors on either side of me have a 32,5 profile and I have the 25,2. After taking these screen shots I dug into the readme for the RealTime program and think there are issues with FEC rate, Attenuation, Noise Margin, Power Levels and BitLoading. Everything I read pointed me in the direction of a  "Bridge Tap" problem.

Armed with that possibility, I called support and was told they looked on the computer and didn't see any problem, and unless I was getting pixilation or freezing they wouldn't come out to investigate. But for $55 they would send a tech to investigate with no guarantee of results.

Could you look at these screen shots and tell me if my theory of a "Bridge Tap" issue holds water?  And if so, how to proceed?

Thanks

Don

2374iEFCBED8E6D070FB5

2372iCD82D7E37FA2E922

To SomeJoe7777,

I am kind of concerned that my signal isn't the way it should be since my neighbors on either side of me have a 32,5 profile and I have the 25,2. After taking these screen shots I dug into the readme for the RealTime program and think there are issues with FEC rate, Attenuation, Noise Margin, Power Levels and BitLoading. Everything I read pointed me in the direction of a  "Bridge Tap" problem.

Armed with that possibility, I called support and was told they looked on the computer and didn't see any problem, and unless I was getting pixilation or freezing they wouldn't come out to investigate. But for $55 they would send a tech to investigate with no guarantee of results.

Could you look at these screen shots and tell me if my theory of a "Bridge Tap" issue holds water?  And if so, how to proceed?

Thanks

Don

2374iEFCBED8E6D070FB5

2372iCD82D7E37FA2E922

UVerse RealTime Question

21 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(21)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2010 10:40:17 AM
(0)
Expert

You have a bridge tap on your line.

Follow the directions in this post.

You have a bridge tap on your line.

Follow the directions in this post.

Re: UVerse RealTime Question

2 of 22 (1,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2010 10:54:03 AM
(0)
Scholar

Thanks for spending the time to look at the screen shots. :smileyhappy:

I can't believe how much I've learned/experienced in the 2 weeks of being a customer.

Any suggestion on how to explain to support that I have a potential issue and avoid the $55 truck roll fee?  Can they see the Bit Loading info from their computer systems and act on that?

Thanks for spending the time to look at the screen shots. :smileyhappy:

I can't believe how much I've learned/experienced in the 2 weeks of being a customer.

Any suggestion on how to explain to support that I have a potential issue and avoid the $55 truck roll fee?  Can they see the Bit Loading info from their computer systems and act on that?

3 of 22 (1,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2010 10:57:27 AM
(0)
Expert

Just call tell them you're experiencing pixelation and periodic freezing. :smileyhappy:  Which actually is probably true ... with the FECs you're getitng it would be hard to imagine that you're not.

They'll send the premises tech, once he gets there, show him your bitloading graph, he'll know there's a bridge tap and will get I&R to come look for it.

Just call tell them you're experiencing pixelation and periodic freezing. :smileyhappy:  Which actually is probably true ... with the FECs you're getitng it would be hard to imagine that you're not.

They'll send the premises tech, once he gets there, show him your bitloading graph, he'll know there's a bridge tap and will get I&R to come look for it.

4 of 22 (1,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2010 12:01:03 PM
(0)
Scholar

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

The FECs are some times in the 2k range, but mostly 0. But I get the point, now I see some occasional pixilation and freezing :smileyhappy:

Thanks

Don

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

The FECs are some times in the 2k range, but mostly 0. But I get the point, now I see some occasional pixilation and freezing :smileyhappy:

Thanks

Don

5 of 22 (1,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2010 2:28:46 PM
(0)
Scholar

3:30 PM I called the support number, mentioned jittery picture and slight freezing, she checked on her computer and said she could see an issue and its probably a brige tap.

She scheduled a premise tech for 4-9PM today.

5:15 pm Premise tech calls and tells me he can see theres a bridge tap on his computer. He schedules a line tech to fix the problem and says it could be done as early as  tomorrow, but with the holiday weekend it may get pushed out and it will be definitely done by Wednesday next week.

So far so good.

3:30 PM I called the support number, mentioned jittery picture and slight freezing, she checked on her computer and said she could see an issue and its probably a brige tap.

She scheduled a premise tech for 4-9PM today.

5:15 pm Premise tech calls and tells me he can see theres a bridge tap on his computer. He schedules a line tech to fix the problem and says it could be done as early as  tomorrow, but with the holiday weekend it may get pushed out and it will be definitely done by Wednesday next week.

So far so good.

6 of 22 (1,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 4, 2010 3:10:48 PM
(0)
Expert

Fingers crossed! :smileyhappy:

Fingers crossed! :smileyhappy:

7 of 22 (1,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2010 9:21:27 AM
(0)
Scholar

I have to say, AT&T surprises me LOL

After the phone call from the prem tech yesterday telling me due to the holiday weekend it might push out the time to fix until Wednesday, a line tech knocked on my door first thing this morning (Sunday) to let me know he found the bridge tap, fixed it and just needs to reset my RG.

After the reset, the signal levels are much improved and said he put in to change my profile from 25,2 to 32,5 but that would take a few hours and for me to reboot the RG in the afternoon.

Anyhow, here are the before and after Realtime shots:

Interestingly enough, I am now 100 feet closer to the VRAD.

Before:

2396i95BAA5839FFF13CF

2398iE5E833DC56B4637A

After:

2402iB1C88EE1D8198F1D

2400i53784EDE0B9B5D05

I have to say, AT&T surprises me LOL

After the phone call from the prem tech yesterday telling me due to the holiday weekend it might push out the time to fix until Wednesday, a line tech knocked on my door first thing this morning (Sunday) to let me know he found the bridge tap, fixed it and just needs to reset my RG.

After the reset, the signal levels are much improved and said he put in to change my profile from 25,2 to 32,5 but that would take a few hours and for me to reboot the RG in the afternoon.

Anyhow, here are the before and after Realtime shots:

Interestingly enough, I am now 100 feet closer to the VRAD.

Before:

2396i95BAA5839FFF13CF

2398iE5E833DC56B4637A

After:

2402iB1C88EE1D8198F1D

2400i53784EDE0B9B5D05

8 of 22 (1,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2010 11:45:34 AM
(0)
Expert

He got rid of one bridge tap, but there's another one still on the line.

Your probably still getting pixelation and intermittent freezing. :smileywink:

9 of 22 (1,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2010 12:04:04 PM
(0)
Scholar

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

I was afraid you would say there's another one. :smileysad:

When the tech finished and rebooted, I brought up RealTime, showed him the graph and he was surprised and said OH, you can see the same things we can. I asked if there was another bridge tap and he said he only found 1 about 200 feet from the house.

I guess I'm going to be labeled a frequent caller to CS and never get service.

Edit:

Tried to call the tech that came out today, but no luck.

Called tech support and they looked at my line and said there were no more bridge taps, and then tried something else and said there was another one about 32 feet long, but it didn't show up on the first program screen he looked at.

Very helpful support rep. Maybe the line tech only looked at first screen and not the supplemental???

He couldn't schedule anything for today, but set up a tech for tomorrow.

Asked about the 32.5 profile change and he said it looks like the tech today put it in, but its not gone thru yet, possibly because the billing dept has a holiday weekend???  I didn't see the connection, but OK :smileysurprised:

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

I was afraid you would say there's another one. :smileysad:

When the tech finished and rebooted, I brought up RealTime, showed him the graph and he was surprised and said OH, you can see the same things we can. I asked if there was another bridge tap and he said he only found 1 about 200 feet from the house.

I guess I'm going to be labeled a frequent caller to CS and never get service.

Edit:

Tried to call the tech that came out today, but no luck.

Called tech support and they looked at my line and said there were no more bridge taps, and then tried something else and said there was another one about 32 feet long, but it didn't show up on the first program screen he looked at.

Very helpful support rep. Maybe the line tech only looked at first screen and not the supplemental???

He couldn't schedule anything for today, but set up a tech for tomorrow.

Asked about the 32.5 profile change and he said it looks like the tech today put it in, but its not gone thru yet, possibly because the billing dept has a holiday weekend???  I didn't see the connection, but OK :smileysurprised:

10 of 22 (1,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2010 3:24:30 PM
(0)
Scholar

To SomeJoe7777,

Since I've got a tech coming to house tomorrow could you look at these two Coax/Hpna shots? Sometimes I get extra info with SNR =0 and sometimes not. Just wondering if its something to have them look at or maybe its a glitch in RealTime.

Thanks

Don

2404i3110FD88E97C24A7

2406i3A436988D2801725

To SomeJoe7777,

Since I've got a tech coming to house tomorrow could you look at these two Coax/Hpna shots? Sometimes I get extra info with SNR =0 and sometimes not. Just wondering if its something to have them look at or maybe its a glitch in RealTime.

Thanks

Don

2404i3110FD88E97C24A7

2406i3A436988D2801725

11 of 22 (1,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 5, 2010 9:24:02 PM
(0)
Expert

Ya, that's a little odd.  I don't have any coax-connected STBs so I have not seen this display issue.

I'll look through the code and see if I can see anything that would cause this.

Ya, that's a little odd.  I don't have any coax-connected STBs so I have not seen this display issue.

I'll look through the code and see if I can see anything that would cause this.

12 of 22 (1,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2010 12:12:43 AM
(0)
Scholar

It seems to pop up with the extra lines upon opening RealTime, and about the 3rd or 4th "Gathering Statistics" they drop off and everything looks normal.

It seems to pop up with the extra lines upon opening RealTime, and about the 3rd or 4th "Gathering Statistics" they drop off and everything looks normal.

13 of 22 (1,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2010 9:03:03 AM
(0)
Scholar

Monday 11:30 am

Line tech arrives and we go over my account history,  bridge tap issues and BitLoading graph questions.

He said that due to the number of calls in two weeks of install there are "extra eyes" on my account, he mentioned "Cronic Caller". LOL. I told him I liked UVerse and just wanted good signal.

Anyway he ran some tests and saw all kinds of issues with the line quality and interference and said he would stay the entire day if neccessary and get the line up to specs.

To be continued...

Monday 11:30 am

Line tech arrives and we go over my account history,  bridge tap issues and BitLoading graph questions.

He said that due to the number of calls in two weeks of install there are "extra eyes" on my account, he mentioned "Cronic Caller". LOL. I told him I liked UVerse and just wanted good signal.

Anyway he ran some tests and saw all kinds of issues with the line quality and interference and said he would stay the entire day if neccessary and get the line up to specs.

To be continued...

14 of 22 (1,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2010 9:13:28 AM
(0)
Expert

Don_H wrote:

OK, will take a look and see if I can find anything in the code that would cause this.

Don_H wrote:

OK, will take a look and see if I can find anything in the code that would cause this.

15 of 22 (1,072 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2010 2:35:35 PM
(0)
Scholar

Monday 4:30 PM

After 5 hours of the line tech checking everything from the VRAD to my house, he found a few things to fix. Junction boxes with old rusty wires, connections causing interference ect. Sure enough, on his computer it shows my line now getting 44K down and 6K up. But even though RealTime and his computer indicates a bridge tap, none was to be found.

His theory is that the problem may lie with the ethernet cable the installer ran to to the RG. So he called the shop and a prem tech is scheduled to come out tomorrow. He thew out the caveat that the prem tech may pass it back to the line tech group, but they would work that out tomorrow.

He did say that the line is now good enough to support the higher profile of 32,5 and he would find a "co-operative" level 2 support person to make the change.

As I'm typing the TVs froze, RG beboots and WOO-HOO I'm now 32,5. :smileyhappy::smileyhappy:

Note: When the 32,5 profile loaded, the bridge tap indication practically disappeared. The tech just called to let me know the RG would be rebooting in a few minutes, I told him it already did and the BitLoading appears much better, he checked on his computer and said that never happened before.

Moral of the story is twofold:

1, That AT&T has worked hard to satisfy a customer, and succeeded. :smileyhappy::smileyhappy:  I'm liking my UVerse even better now !!!

2. The RealTime program from SomeJoe7777 works excellently and allows the customer to communicate with techs in almost their language.

Heres the before and after of todays work.

Before:

2414iE5042BD663B7888C

2416i65D0EF6692BABA64

After:

2418i3D138BFE75F01C1B

2420i5A027DE7CFE99406

Monday 4:30 PM

After 5 hours of the line tech checking everything from the VRAD to my house, he found a few things to fix. Junction boxes with old rusty wires, connections causing interference ect. Sure enough, on his computer it shows my line now getting 44K down and 6K up. But even though RealTime and his computer indicates a bridge tap, none was to be found.

His theory is that the problem may lie with the ethernet cable the installer ran to to the RG. So he called the shop and a prem tech is scheduled to come out tomorrow. He thew out the caveat that the prem tech may pass it back to the line tech group, but they would work that out tomorrow.

He did say that the line is now good enough to support the higher profile of 32,5 and he would find a "co-operative" level 2 support person to make the change.

As I'm typing the TVs froze, RG beboots and WOO-HOO I'm now 32,5. :smileyhappy::smileyhappy:

Note: When the 32,5 profile loaded, the bridge tap indication practically disappeared. The tech just called to let me know the RG would be rebooting in a few minutes, I told him it already did and the BitLoading appears much better, he checked on his computer and said that never happened before.

Moral of the story is twofold:

1, That AT&T has worked hard to satisfy a customer, and succeeded. :smileyhappy::smileyhappy:  I'm liking my UVerse even better now !!!

2. The RealTime program from SomeJoe7777 works excellently and allows the customer to communicate with techs in almost their language.

Heres the before and after of todays work.

Before:

2414iE5042BD663B7888C

2416i65D0EF6692BABA64

After:

2418i3D138BFE75F01C1B

2420i5A027DE7CFE99406

16 of 22 (1,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2010 2:54:14 PM
(0)
Expert

There's still a tap somewhere.  Maybe the premises tech can find it within that home run.

The bitloading at least looks like the line can carry the high frequencies.  I'll be curious when they finally get the tap found what it looks like.

There's still a tap somewhere.  Maybe the premises tech can find it within that home run.

The bitloading at least looks like the line can carry the high frequencies.  I'll be curious when they finally get the tap found what it looks like.

17 of 22 (1,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2010 3:37:07 PM
(0)
Scholar

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

The install tech ran a brand new Cat5 from the NID to the RG. Maybe the new wire got crimped or scraped when pulling it through the attic/closet fish ? Anyway it'll get checked out tomorrow.

The line tech put about 50 twists on the 2 wires in the NID and that cleared up alot of the interference. I asked if that made it a twisted pair and we both got a good laugh.

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

The install tech ran a brand new Cat5 from the NID to the RG. Maybe the new wire got crimped or scraped when pulling it through the attic/closet fish ? Anyway it'll get checked out tomorrow.

The line tech put about 50 twists on the 2 wires in the NID and that cleared up alot of the interference. I asked if that made it a twisted pair and we both got a good laugh.

18 of 22 (1,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2010 6:32:09 AM
(0)
Scholar

Tuesday 8:15 am

The prem tech arrived first thing this morning and ran a check on the wiring with meters. He added a device inside the NID, which I think was called a banding (sp) ?, and grounded a wire. He said he always puts one on his installs because he feels it eliminates some interference, thinks other techs don't because its not always needed.

After doing that, booted RG and it looks like my BitLoading, Noise Level, Power and Max Rate all improved.

While not perfect, it certainly appears to me that AT&T has done a good job getting my service to totally satisfactory levels.

2428i8C9EE9C42B25B3F7 

2430i9172E8B8B077AC0B

On a different subject, does anyone know what the large button with the wireless icon on the front of the modem is for?

My neice pushed it over the weekend and it started flashing. I tried pushing it again but the flashing continued, and all my UVerse TVs and wireless remained on, so I rebooted the modem to stop the flashing.

Tuesday 8:15 am

The prem tech arrived first thing this morning and ran a check on the wiring with meters. He added a device inside the NID, which I think was called a banding (sp) ?, and grounded a wire. He said he always puts one on his installs because he feels it eliminates some interference, thinks other techs don't because its not always needed.

After doing that, booted RG and it looks like my BitLoading, Noise Level, Power and Max Rate all improved.

While not perfect, it certainly appears to me that AT&T has done a good job getting my service to totally satisfactory levels.

2428i8C9EE9C42B25B3F7 

2430i9172E8B8B077AC0B

On a different subject, does anyone know what the large button with the wireless icon on the front of the modem is for?

My neice pushed it over the weekend and it started flashing. I tried pushing it again but the flashing continued, and all my UVerse TVs and wireless remained on, so I rebooted the modem to stop the flashing.

19 of 22 (1,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2010 6:34:54 AM
(0)
Expert

Can't see your screenshots yet (but you know that by now). :smileywink:

The skeleton key button is for sharing wireless with Guests.

20 of 22 (1,072 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2010 6:48:00 AM
(0)
Scholar

spd2demun wrote:

Can you explain that feature, or is there a thread about it?

I did a search, but only came up something where you said you can activate it back in March.

Also had asked the prem tech this morning, but he had no idea.

Edit:

Found it under Big Button and answer was:

Randy has given y'all the correct answer TWICE!  :smileyhappy:

1) It is a Guest Pass to allow visitors to your home to access your Wireless without giving them your password.

2) It does NOTHING, AT&T has the feature turned off.

spd2demun wrote:

Can you explain that feature, or is there a thread about it?

I did a search, but only came up something where you said you can activate it back in March.

Also had asked the prem tech this morning, but he had no idea.

Edit:

Found it under Big Button and answer was:

Randy has given y'all the correct answer TWICE!  :smileyhappy:

1) It is a Guest Pass to allow visitors to your home to access your Wireless without giving them your password.

2) It does NOTHING, AT&T has the feature turned off.

21 of 22 (476 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2010 7:35:01 AM
(0)
Expert

Yeah, I was coming back to FINISH my post...power went out here and I was using Ethernet. :smileymad:

But, you found it and that's the story. :smileywink:

Yeah, I was coming back to FINISH my post...power went out here and I was using Ethernet. :smileymad:

But, you found it and that's the story. :smileywink:

22 of 22 (476 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments