USB Port

USB Port

I just spotted a USB Port on the front of my box. Can I use this for anything?
Thanks
Lenny
Message 1 of 21
Contributor

Re: USB Port

I'm new here, and was just wondering if you were serious about it being active. Wondering if the smiley face was actually in celebration.

Thanks.

Message 16 of 21
Contributor

Does anybody have an update on if you can use the USB for an external hard drive expander?

Message 17 of 21
Expert

fuel52 wrote:

Does anybody have an update on if you can use the USB for an external hard drive expander?

No, you cannot.

Message 18 of 21
Professor

It is used to plug in the rechargeable optional remote

Message 19 of 21
ACE - Master

AND for a power source, it never did fully charge my cell phone via the USB port.  Maybe the voltage may be right but not the amperage?  or V V?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 21
Highlighted
Teacher

USB ports have limited low power so devices that require lots need an external source. You can receive charging power but if you ever tried to use the USB port for a WiFi access point you will discover it rarely works. Bus card APs get far more power compared to the range of USB APs.

The Cisco USB port, as with other STBs, is typically used for firmware upgrades via cable or flash drive. Sony's devices like the PSP have this feature. My guess is that the port is for this purpose allowing AT&T to add services to the STB in the future (or fix some future security issue). That said, the USB port would connect to the voltage bus and the firmware chipset. A future use of the port for a HDD would require a new module or replacement STB.

Message 21 of 21
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support