USB Port

USB Port

I just spotted a USB Port on the front of my box. Can I use this for anything?
Thanks
Lenny
Message 1 of 21
Master

Re: USB Port

blockisle9 wrote:
Thanks
Lenny

no  hopefully in the future  imho

randy
Message 2 of 21
Professor

blockisle9 wrote:
Thanks
Lenny

You can use it to charge things that use a USB cable like an Xbox 360 controller, PS3 controller, bluetooth headset, cell phone, etc, but that is about it for now.
Message 3 of 21

Thanks all!
Lenny
Message 4 of 21
Highlighted
Contributor

So, the USB ports on the front and back were anticipated for gaming use, not an actual functional use, such as connecting an external drive containing... say movies?  When do you think this capability will be available?  Thanks.
Tags (2)
Message 5 of 21
Professor

The USB ports were included on a standard DVR and STB designed by Motorola. AFAIK, these units were not designed specifically for Uverse, so there may be an IPTV service somewhere with them active for whatever purpose.

Personally, I would be totally surprised if the USB ports were ever activated for use with external storage. I think that the DRM for this would be a nightmare.
Message 6 of 21
Master

brandon721 wrote:
So, the USB ports on the front and back were anticipated for gaming use, not an actual functional use, such as connecting an external drive containing... say movies?  When do you think this capability will be available?  Thanks.

brandon no one really know the answer to that here on utalk. you could buy a 1tb hdd and hope it's soon or just keep the dvr cleaned up so you don't run out of recording space which is what happens here at our place. when they do authorize it this will probably be the place you find out about it...
Dennis
Message 7 of 21
Scholar

callmeox wrote:
I think that the DRM for this would be a nightmare.

DTV has had the eSATA port enabled for an external HD for a while now.  The HD only works with the box you set it up on…No swapping of boxes or computer.I guess that's how they get away with it?

Message 8 of 21
Expert

I could live with that.  Let me put whatever size hd on my dvr and allow access by the other non dvr stbs and you have a winner.
Message 9 of 21

I just had Uverse installed Sunday...the installer said I could hook up an external harddrive for extra storage. Was he wrong?
Message 10 of 21
Master

ddschneider1972 wrote:
I just had Uverse installed Sunday...the installer said I could hook up an external harddrive for extra storage. Was he wrong?  yes

less something has changed we are unaware of .......

Message 11 of 21
Expert

Unfortunately he was not correct with that statement.  We are all hoping that the usb port on the dvr will be activated for that very reason.  But at this time the usb port is not active.  Hopefully in the not too distant future.
Message 12 of 21
Teacher

Koolkid1935 wrote:

blockisle9 wrote:
Thanks
Lenny

You can use it to charge things that use a USB cable like an Xbox 360 controller, PS3 controller, bluetooth headset, cell phone, etc, but that is about it for now.

Hmmm, I read this and so tried charging the PS3 wireless game controller on the [front] DVR USB port.

Normally when the game controller is plugged into either the PS3 or a PC, a row of LEDs on the controller flash while charging.

But, plugged into the [front] DVR USB port, no lights were on or flashing on the game controller.  So I then plugged it into my PC and the LEDs started flashing (as expected).

My thinking from that would be that perhaps the [front] USB port on the DVR was not charging the game controller.  But  I haven't more thoroughly tested it yet.

Message 13 of 21
Master

i heard it went active today, hurry to bestbuy and get a 1tb hdd and hook it up...:smileyvery-happy:
Dennis
Message 14 of 21
Professor

I think the way in which the PS3 controller charges vs. the 360 controller are different.  The PS3 controller needs to have an active communication link to the host to charge, whereas the 360 controller does not.  All the 360 controller needs is power.  I listed that as an example because personally I never tried the PS3 controller on mine, only the 360 controller.  My initial thought was they would both work if they both used the same charging method, I was wrong in assuming they both did.  The point of the matter is that the USB ports do indeed have power, but not much of anything else.
Message 15 of 21
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support