Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 20, 2010
8:41:46 PM
View profile
U-verse installed yesterday. Intermittent drops since then :(

Got U-Verse installed yesterday (phone, TV, Internet). Since then until now I would lose service (on phone, TV, Internet) for about 30 secs to a minute every few hours. I called the tech who did the installation and he said that "the signal was weak" and even changing the outside wires from coax to cat5 would not really improve anything. So he advised me to cancel my service and rejoin U-Verse in a few months when an 'enhancement' (currently under test) will increase my signal.

This is unfortunate because I was actually enjoying U-Verse TV (1 HD, 2 SD). Anyway, thought I'd post my stats here in case anyone sees anything obvious I can tell the tech.

Capture1

Got U-Verse installed yesterday (phone, TV, Internet). Since then until now I would lose service (on phone, TV, Internet) for about 30 secs to a minute every few hours. I called the tech who did the installation and he said that "the signal was weak" and even changing the outside wires from coax to cat5 would not really improve anything. So he advised me to cancel my service and rejoin U-Verse in a few months when an 'enhancement' (currently under test) will increase my signal.

This is unfortunate because I was actually enjoying U-Verse TV (1 HD, 2 SD). Anyway, thought I'd post my stats here in case anyone sees anything obvious I can tell the tech.

Capture1

U-verse installed yesterday. Intermittent drops since then :(

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2010 4:27:31 AM
(0)
Master

You are close enough to the VRAD you should be able to get UVerse with no issues.  You may have a bad line to your house or a bad card in the VRAD.  Don't believe everything you're installed said, it sounds like he may have been trying to get out easy.  Contact technical support @ 1-866-465-1496. If they cannot get your issue resolved, contact David David's contact information he or a member of his group will contact you and get your issues fixed.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

You are close enough to the VRAD you should be able to get UVerse with no issues.  You may have a bad line to your house or a bad card in the VRAD.  Don't believe everything you're installed said, it sounds like he may have been trying to get out easy.  Contact technical support @ 1-866-465-1496. If they cannot get your issue resolved, contact David David's contact information he or a member of his group will contact you and get your issues fixed.

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway

Re: U-verse installed yesterday. Intermittent drops since then :(

2 of 8 (1,579 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2010 7:04:47 AM
(0)
Expert

Please also post the bitloading tab from U-Verse Realtime so that we can see if there is further evidence of line problems.

Please also post the bitloading tab from U-Verse Realtime so that we can see if there is further evidence of line problems.

3 of 8 (1,553 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2010 9:32:42 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yea forgot to add the bitloading. I actually captured it the same time as the one above but just forgot to upload it. Thanks.

Capture2

Yea forgot to add the bitloading. I actually captured it the same time as the one above but just forgot to upload it. Thanks.

Capture2

4 of 8 (1,499 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2010 6:53:08 AM
(0)
Expert

There is possible a problem with your line called a bridge tap.  A bridge tap is an extra length of telephone cable attached to your pair that is not connected to anything on the other end.  It causes signal reflections on the line and interferes with DSL signals.

Call technical support (or contact David and his team as instructed above), have a premises tech come out and test the line.  He should call the Installation and Repair (I&R) group (the linesmen) to come and look for the bridge tap and remove it.

When the bridge tap is removed, the max rate reported by UVRT should increase by 5-6 Mbps, and the error rates will go down.  This should correct the pixelation and/or freezing.

There is possible a problem with your line called a bridge tap.  A bridge tap is an extra length of telephone cable attached to your pair that is not connected to anything on the other end.  It causes signal reflections on the line and interferes with DSL signals.

Call technical support (or contact David and his team as instructed above), have a premises tech come out and test the line.  He should call the Installation and Repair (I&R) group (the linesmen) to come and look for the bridge tap and remove it.

When the bridge tap is removed, the max rate reported by UVRT should increase by 5-6 Mbps, and the error rates will go down.  This should correct the pixelation and/or freezing.

5 of 8 (1,466 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2010 10:55:57 AM
(0)
Tutor

I called the tech and told him what was mentioned above and he said he understood what you're saying but the root cause of my issue was due to the fact that I was moved to a pair that is not supported for U-Verse. (He said there were 3 pairs and 1 was available for me and it was 'unconditioned'.) So I'm basically getting my U-verse service on only one pair and that's why I'm seeing these intermittent issues.

He said in about 2 months he'd be able to have Engineering come back and install two pairs to work from instead of the one that I have now. (And this should give me 25/2 instead of the 19 I have now.) I guess this was the 'enhancement' he was talking about in my previous post.

I called the tech and told him what was mentioned above and he said he understood what you're saying but the root cause of my issue was due to the fact that I was moved to a pair that is not supported for U-Verse. (He said there were 3 pairs and 1 was available for me and it was 'unconditioned'.) So I'm basically getting my U-verse service on only one pair and that's why I'm seeing these intermittent issues.

He said in about 2 months he'd be able to have Engineering come back and install two pairs to work from instead of the one that I have now. (And this should give me 25/2 instead of the 19 I have now.) I guess this was the 'enhancement' he was talking about in my previous post.

6 of 8 (1,433 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 22, 2010 11:00:28 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

roro20 wrote:

Pair bonding, when they get the fix for the iNid problem, rebooting when connected to the backup battery, not good. Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-866-465-1496 for direct TS to avoid Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

roro20 wrote:

Pair bonding, when they get the fix for the iNid problem, rebooting when connected to the backup battery, not good. Smiley Wink

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

7 of 8 (1,427 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2010 8:17:11 AM
(0)
Tutor

mibrnsurg wrote:

roro20 wrote:

Chris

Sorry, didn't quite understand that. I'll google iNid but is pair bonding the two pair solution which they'll be installing and it's only available after they fix this iNid problem?

Anyway, since last Thursday the only problems (drops) I've had have been watching pre-recorded shows on one SD TV. This morning my wife was watching her recorded Thu night shows and noticed the drops. I can't tell you if the phone or Internet dropped that night as we weren't home while those shows were taping.

I've not noticed any issues with the Internet, phone, or watching live HDTV since I posted (Wed). I'm only within the first week of my 30 day trial so let's see how it goes.

Thanks.

mibrnsurg wrote:

roro20 wrote:

Chris

Sorry, didn't quite understand that. I'll google iNid but is pair bonding the two pair solution which they'll be installing and it's only available after they fix this iNid problem?

Anyway, since last Thursday the only problems (drops) I've had have been watching pre-recorded shows on one SD TV. This morning my wife was watching her recorded Thu night shows and noticed the drops. I can't tell you if the phone or Internet dropped that night as we weren't home while those shows were taping.

I've not noticed any issues with the Internet, phone, or watching live HDTV since I posted (Wed). I'm only within the first week of my 30 day trial so let's see how it goes.

Thanks.

8 of 8 (1,379 Views)