U-verse destroying my work at home DSL AT&T unit

Contributor

U-verse destroying my work at home DSL AT&T unit

I am a nurse working at home for an insurance company. They provide me with computer equipment and pay for my AT&T DSL line. This is an independent phone line where I take incoming calls. I have enjoyed my U-verse wireless internet connection in my home for the past year and this is my personal home system. Now my employer is telling me that the U-verse program will interfere and destroy the operation of my work DSL unit. Both are AT&T and they suggest I remove the U-verse from my home. Does anyone know about this issue and is there anything I can do to stop the U-verse from destroying my work DSL unit?

Message 1 of 9 (810 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: U-verse destroying my work at home DSL AT&T unit

If it's two separate phone lines that come in together, there could be a problem of crosstalk between the VDSL of Uverse and ADSL of ATT DSL.  It may cause problems on your work at home and if you want to keep that job, you might consider it strongly as I've seen discussions that VDSL and ADSL will cause problems when together.  Sorry :smileysad:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 9 (810 Views)
Master

You can not have both on the same line.
Message 3 of 9 (810 Views)
Employee

It is possible that the ADSL (work) and the VDSL(U-Verse) won't play well together on the same cable form the local box and the drop to your home. 

It is completely situational and varies greatly with a few critical variables. 

If you call UV tech support and ask them to access "Broadband Tools"; one of the stats they can look at is an indicator of xDSL interference (CPE Realtime screen). It should give a general indication of the level of interference, at least from the VDSL perspective. 

Tech support for your DSL service (will be a different number) can also look at their stats to see if there is any significant interference. *Usually* ADSL is more of an interferer to VDSL than the other way around. 

If you haven't yet  had the ADSL installed, they -may- be able to bring in a second drop and completely isolate the two systems from each other (again, this is situational, depending on how your neighborhood is wired up, how old the plant is, etc.).

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 9 (810 Views)
Scholar

Barbie Doll wrote:

I am a nurse working at home for an insurance company. They provide me with computer equipment and pay for my AT&T DSL line. This is an independent phone line where I take incoming calls. I have enjoyed my U-verse wireless internet connection in my home for the past year and this is my personal home system. Now my employer is telling me that the U-verse program will interfere and destroy the operation of my work DSL unit. Both are AT&T and they suggest I remove the U-verse from my home. Does anyone know about this issue and is there anything I can do to stop the U-verse from destroying my work DSL unit?

Several of the responses have strayed from you base question. If you have both services active today and they both work then you are good to go. If your company's IT team has a specific problem with you having both services in your home, ask them for the specific reason.

There is no physical problem / reason that your U-Verse would destroy your DSL unit. The most that could happen is as someone posted earlier, one of the lines might experience interference but that is easy to test if you start to have problem in the future.

Dave

Message 5 of 9 (810 Views)
Scholar

Do they require that you to segregate the company line from the personal line or is this not an issue? If it is not an issue why not just collapse to a higher bandwidth UVerse internet line and have the company subsidize this. If they do require seperate lines then I don't see why you would be forced to drop the UV line if everything is working. I expect the IT group understands that you cannot ADSL and VDSL on the same line and may think you are trying to do that?
Message 6 of 9 (810 Views)
Scholar

You can have both ADSL and VDSL on the same cabling, just not the same wire pair, as I have both. As long as you keep the 2 seperated and not on the same network cabling and isolated from each other, you will be fine. The only issue I could see is if you get cross-talk between the pairs, but that would depend on the shape of your wire pairs. I have not had any issues with mine.
Message 7 of 9 (810 Views)
Employee

If I read you post correctly you already have both services working. You did not indicate you were having any problems with either system. So it would seem your IT department is finding problems that do not exist..

I would try to talk to someone in your organization that will listen and not make the problem. worst. I would hate to see you lose your job over a non issue. If you don't bring the subject up maybe they will forget about your Uverse and find a real problem to fix.

If the billing is seperate how would they know if you still had Uverse installed. I would wait them out unless you can give you  more details as to why they think there is  a problem. 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 8 of 9 (810 Views)

If I understand:

You have a work phone line with DSL.

You have uVerse wireless internet for your home.

We dropped our DSL line when uVerse offered static IP addresses in our neighborhood. We now have uVerse for both our home phone and for internet. The phone costs less and does more. The internet costs less and is faster. I wonder if your employer can switch to uVerse, get you better service and save a buck or two?

(kudos for working at home!)

Gary

Message 9 of 9 (810 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.