U-verse DVR

Tutor

U-verse DVR

I have an external archieve hard drive that was connected to my former Dish Network DVR. Has anyone found a way to transfer these programs to a viewable format? Are their plans in the works for the U-verse DVR to accept an expernal hard drive?

Message 1 of 6 (1,386 Views)
Expert

Re: U-verse DVR

Currently, an external hard drive cannot be connected to the U-verse DVR.  Even if the U-verse DVR supported an external hard drive, the programs on the external hard drive that you used with your Dish DVR could not be viewed because of the way the files are encoded.  As far as I know, the programs on that external hard drive can only be viewed on a Dish DVR.

Message 2 of 6 (1,386 Views)
Tutor

Thanks for the reply. I have tons of programs stored on that external hard drive and am very disappointed to lose all of it. I guess that's the price to pay for choosing more features that are now available on u-verse. My salelsman told me that it would work on the u-verse DVR. This was one of the first questions I asked him. Oh well, I am still in the 30 day trial period. I have only been activated for a week and I still have Dish connected.

Message 3 of 6 (1,386 Views)
Expert

Salespeople are the least likely to give you accurate information about a service. :smileyhappy:

Message 4 of 6 (1,386 Views)
Expert

Sorry to read about your situation with your information on your hard drive.  Don't get rid of it yet though.  Someone may come along with an option for you to be able to watch those saved programs.  I am sure there is software/hardware available for you to view the content.  The question is how much would it cost?

Message 5 of 6 (1,386 Views)
Expert

The document found in the link below mentions the following considerations about using an external hard drive with your Dish DVR DVR:

http://www.dishnetwork.com/receivers/expandYourDVR/document/1LDVRStorage.pdf 

Considerations

• This feature is currently supported on only the ViP 612, ViP 622, ViP 722 and ViP 722k HD satellite receiver models. Your receiver model is listed on the System Information screen (accessed by pressing the
  • Dedicate the external hard drive
  • If content contains copy protection that will impact recording to the external hard drive, you will see a pop-up message with more information. For any DRM/copy protection restrictions, go to www.dishnetwork.com/faq/copy_protection/
  • Content on the external hard drive can only be viewed on ViP DVR satellite receivers listed on an authorized account. If the receiver used to record the event is no longer available (due to an equipment return, for example), the content can still be viewed using a compatible receiver or replacement receiver on the account.
  • Ensure the hard drive is kept in a cool, well-ventilated location for optimum hard drive longevity. Do not move the drive while it is on.
  •  

Since you still have your Dish DVR, it is possible to play back recorded programming and transfer it to a DVD recorder, VCR or use tools to transfer those recordings to a pc; however, you cannot attach the external hard drive to another DVR or transfer files directly from the external hard drive in order to view the recorded programming.

Message 6 of 6 (1,386 Views)
    Share this topic
    Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.