U-Verse now available, but $149 install fee??

Tutor

U-Verse now available, but $149 install fee??

Hey gang, U-verse just became available to me today, which is great since in regular DSL I can only get the 3 Mpbs due to all the 6 mpbs nodes, or whatever you call them, already being used (had 6 mpbs at one point here.) Anyhow, I went to look at ordering it and they want $100 for the 3600HGV. Fine, considering the savings for a year, I would get 4x as fast internet for the same prices once you figure out that $100 modem over $12 months considering ATT's current discount.However, they want $149 for professional installation. That seems really high considering all they are probably going to do is take the gateway, plug it into my phone line and hand me an ethernet cable. Is there anything special that they install out at my pole? I currently just have the old standard phone box for my DSL and phone line (which we may drop since we don't use it much.) If they don't install anything special, can I get that fee waved somehow by calling in?

Thanks,

Matthew

Message 1 of 8
Expert

Re: U-Verse now available, but $149 install fee??

The fee is waived when you also have U-verse TV installed.

Message 2 of 8
Tutor

Yeah, I have zero interest in getting TV installed as my budget won't allow for it and I hate waiting for programs to start instead of just having them on-demand.

Message 3 of 8
Teacher

A word of caution!

If you are a online gamer, your pings will go UP 40ms plus.

Look through this forum for other posts pertaining to HIGH PINGS.

I am working with AT&T right now to get my DSL back.

Message 4 of 8
Tutor

Still wondering what happens during an Internet only install? Does new cable or something have to be run?
Message 5 of 8
Scholar

"If you are a online gamer, your pings will go UP 40ms plus."

This is not true for everyone. I don't see a 40ms increase in latency.

Message 6 of 8
Teacher

DSL only installs are not free.  And with a "VDSL" service such as your 3600 modem you can do a self-install but I would not recommend it unless you can run an isolated cat-5 cable to the modem.  The installer will verify signal to your the box outside your house or terminal in your apartment.  From there to your modem is where you need a direct connection.  If not, your signal "splits" off to all of the other jacks on your line and could lose necessary signal quality.  The professional installation includes testing to the modem to verify a good quality signal and desired service.

Message 7 of 8
Tutor

U-slave wrote:

DSL only installs are not free.  And with a "VDSL" service such as your 3600 modem you can do a self-install but I would not recommend it unless you can run an isolated cat-5 cable to the modem.  The installer will verify signal to your the box outside your house or terminal in your apartment.  From there to your modem is where you need a direct connection.  If not, your signal "splits" off to all of the other jacks on your line and could lose necessary signal quality.  The professional installation includes testing to the modem to verify a good quality signal and desired service.

Does the 3600 modem plug into a phone jack in my house, or is there a special box they put out at the pole and then run cat5 in from to the 3600? If they are doing a lot of work, running new cable, installing other things, then I understand the fee. But I remember for the DSL they wanted a fee, I said no because all it took was plugging in the filter, plug in the modem, and put in my username/password.

Message 8 of 8
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support