U-Verse Realtime v1.3.0.0

Expert

U-Verse Realtime v1.3.0.0

U-Verse Realtime v1.3.0.0 is released.

The program (.exe installer) may be downloaded here.

If you have already installed v1.2.x.x, you can install this version on top of it and it will upgrade.  Those versions will also auto-update to this new version.

U-Verse Realtime is a standalone program that can retrieve information from a typical residential installation of the AT&T U-Verse IPTV system. Some of the information displayed consists of VDSL line analysis, network interface data rates, DVR information, and STB channel and stream information. This program requires that your U-Verse Residential Gateway (the 2Wire 3800HGV) be running firmware version 6.1.9.24 only. Previous versions will not work with this program.

U-Verse Realtime v1.3.0.0 is the evolution of the previous program, 2WireRealtime. The new features added to UVerse Realtime expand its functionality beyond simply looking at statistics from the 2Wire 3800HGV router, so the program was renamed to better reflect its scope. 2WireRealtime will not auto-update to U-Verse Realtime, you must download the new installer.

A significant improvement in this version is the elimination of the requirement to be directly connected to the RG.  Also, the large amount of IPTV traffic that was generated to the computer running U-Verse Realtime is no longer present.

Fixes and New Features

• Change STB detection method to use SSDP packets vice IGMP
  • Remove IGMP query packet generation
  • Eliminate requirement to be directly-connected to the RG
  • Eliminate large bandwidth usage to computer running UVRT
  • Streams Analysis now tracks WAN streams, DVR Ingress streams, and DVR Egress streams
  • STBs and Channels now tracks which streams are being watched and recorded
  • STBs and Channels now tracks separately if a STB is watching VOD or Recorded TV separately from "Off"
  • Decoupled stream gathering thread from STB Channels information display thread to remove multithreading bug
  • STBs and Channels now updates more quickly, reflecting stream changes in less than 5 seconds
  • Improve accuracy of time left for recording on DVR for both HD and SD
  • Add profile override for WAN, DVR Ingress, and DVR Egress
  • Update channel database, Chicago locals now included, fix QVC & HSN channel numbers
  • Fix crash when selecting an invalid NIC, add user-friendly error message
  • Fix date/time not locked onto Windows form when window resized
  • Add renaming of STBs on Coax/HPNA tab
  • Remove warning dialog box before enabling STB Channels/Streams gathering, no longer required
  • Remember selected tab on program startup
  • Add better graceful shutdown code for background threads
  • Tweak highlighting colors
  • Update main documentation (ReadMe) with new features and screenshots
  • Update technical documentation with contents of U-Verse pseudo-SSDP packets

A peek at the new STB Channels/Streams screen:

As always, please post here with comments or bugs.

Message 1 of 72 (1,123 Views)
Expert

Re: U-Verse Realtime v1.3.0.0

Hi RJSinMO,

Yes, up in message 7 of the thread, I relayed some reports I got that some wireless cards are actually working.  I had not tested this, but apparently if the wireless card is a modern one that can emulate an Ethernet card in promiscuous mode, it will work.

The documentation in future versions will be changed to reflect this.

For your St. Louis locals, please also post the multicast IP addresses for the following SD channels:

2, 4, 5, 9, 11, 24, 30, and 46.

Once your SD channels are posted also, I will put them in the channel database.

Thanks in advance for that information!

Message 16 of 72 (799 Views)
Mentor

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

For your St. Louis locals, please also post the multicast IP addresses for the following SD channels:

2, 4, 5, 9, 11, 24, 30, and 46.

2: 239.192.30.1

4: 239.192.30.2

5: 239.192.30.3

9: 239.192.30.4

11: 239.192.30.5

24: 239.192.30.6

30: 239.192.30.7

46: 239.192.30.8

Message 17 of 72 (799 Views)
Expert

New channel database released, version 2010-07-04-2247-001, 624 channels.

• Add St. Louis, MO locals

Message 18 of 72 (799 Views)
Guru

Data Collection Time: 2010/07/05 10:17:50 CDT
HPNA Multicast Rate (Mbps): 112 
DestinationSourcePHY Rate (Mbps)Signal to Noise Ratio (dB)Pre-LARQ PER (%)
Station IDMac Addr.Station IDMac Addr.   
100:24:56:59:33:d9300:23:be:07:41:4f11229-2.00e+02
100:24:56:59:33:d9200:1e:6b:64:52:4f9626-7.50e+02
200:1e:6b:64:52:4f100:24:56:59:33:d911228-4.00e+02
300:23:be:07:41:4f100:24:56:59:33:d9112280.00e+00

SomeJoe7777,

Checking  my PHY Rate I noticed a possible gremlin. 96? What does this mean? I tried to get a screenshot from your Realtime program but couldn't get it to work. Duh? It's me.

This from RG Homepage.

Thanks for the program and any ideas you may have.

Message 19 of 72 (799 Views)
Guru

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

For the settings retaining across program versions ... I'll look into this, but I'm not sure much can be done about it without a fairly substantial change.  I currently hold program preferences within .Net's framework for application settings.  When the executable gets replaced with a new one, .Net believes that the old settings are for a different program, and therefore all settings are restored to default.  (Exception: The STB names/MAC addresses are stored in a separate file, so those get retained).

I will investigate other ways to hold program settings that would persist across versions.

SJ:

I've never bothered with the .NET settings framework.  Instead when I write code I create a config file and use that.  Not sure which .NET language you use, but in VB.NET I use Environment.GetFolderPath(Environment.SpecialFolder.ApplicationData) to get the location of the "Application Data" folder (in XP it's "C:\Documents and Settings\<userid>\Application Data" and in Vista/7 I think it's "C:\Users\<userid>\AppData\Roaming"), then create a folder within for my app, then a structured config file within that.

Lets me do whatever I want.  :smileyhappy:

Message 20 of 72 (799 Views)
Expert

Cheer,

Yep, that's one way to do it.  I did some research last night and there are mechanisms in .Net to move settings from a previous version to a new one, and I could also store STB MAC address data there as well.

I'll be investigating some of these possibilities.

Message 21 of 72 (797 Views)
Mentor

So I've come up with another suggestion.  I completely understand that this application isn't really designed to do this, but I would LOVE to know the amount of TV and what channels are being watched on a daily basis.  In regards to storing off information (I.E. MAC Address Names, Default settings, etc)  while the program is running, would it be possible to store off the 5 second snap shots of the channels being watched by day, into some type of .txt file that could then be calculated to determine how many hours of tv watching are being done on a particular day.  (I'm sure there is a better way, just a quick thought)  Again, I understand this app isn't really designed to do this, however maybe in a future release down the road, this would be a valuable tool.  Maybe even have some type of built in pretty report by v 4.6.7.0   :-)  Just a thought.  Thanks!

Message 22 of 72 (797 Views)
Teacher

Hi, I just letting you know that my Intel 5300 AGN card in my Dell Latitude shows as a Microsoft Network adapter and I can view the STB information.  That was a pleasant surprise. I am glad that I don't have to plug into the wall any more.

Chris

Message 23 of 72 (797 Views)
Expert

chris_r11 wrote:

Hi, I just letting you know that my Intel 5300 AGN card in my Dell Latitude shows as a Microsoft Network adapter and I can view the STB information.  That was a pleasant surprise. I am glad that I don't have to plug into the wall any more.

Very cool, thanks.

It appears that many modern wireless cards actually do work.  Most of the ones I've seen that are working are 802.11n cards, so if people are looking for a particular wireless card that should work with this program, it appears that at least most 802.11n cards will work.

Message 24 of 72 (797 Views)
Expert

New channel database released, version 2010-07-08-1854-001, 645 channels.

• Add Oklahoma City, OK locals.
  • Fix HBO Zone HD (channel 1812) description.  Both 1812 and 1813 were labeled as the "West" feed, only 1813 should be.

Message 25 of 72 (797 Views)
Expert

New channel database released, version 2010-07-12-1814-001, 662 channels.

• Add Nashville, TN locals.

Message 26 of 72 (797 Views)
Expert

You are really busy with this app.:smileyhappy:

Message 27 of 72 (797 Views)
Expert

Channel database adds are pretty easy.  Once someone PMs me or posts the multicast addresses for all the channels in a certain market, it only takes me 10 minutes or so to enter them in the spreadsheet and generate a new database file.  Then I just copy it to the server, and the UVRT installations out in the field will see the new file and download it on their next launch.

Message 28 of 72 (797 Views)
Expert

This is a very nice app.  I don't consider myself adept on the electronics end of electronic equipment.  But this app has enabled me to monitor my system.  And I understand most of if not all of the answers you give others about how to use it.  If I do need more info I will feel free to ask.  I like it.

Message 29 of 72 (797 Views)
Mentor

Just curious, if there is a next release, what updates might be coming?  A teaser maybe?  :-)

Message 30 of 72 (797 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.