U-Verse Realtime v1.2.1.0

Expert

U-Verse Realtime v1.2.1.0

U-Verse Realtime v1.2.1.0 is released.

The program (.exe installer) may be downloaded here.

If you already installed v1.2.0.0, you can install this version on top of it and it will upgrade.  This version fixes a bug that resulted in the program not detecting STBs.

U-Verse Realtime is a standalone program that can retrieve information from a typical residential installation of the AT&T U-Verse IPTV system. Some of the information displayed consists of VDSL line analysis, network interface data rates, DVR information, and STB channel and stream information. This program requires that your U-Verse Residential Gateway (the 2Wire 3800HGV) be running firmware version 6.1.9.24 only. Previous versions will not work with this program.

U-Verse Realtime v1.2.1.0 is the evolution of the previous program, 2WireRealtime. The new features added to UVerse Realtime expand its functionality beyond simply looking at statistics from the 2Wire 3800HGV router, so the program was renamed to better reflect its scope. 2WireRealtime will not auto-update to U-Verse Realtime, you must download the new installer.

Fixes and New Features

• Program renamed to U-Verse Realtime to better reflect the scope of functionality.
  • Fix last digit of coax station MAC addresses
  • Add date/time to panel so it appears in screenshots
  • Add comma & significant figures to FEC/CRC rates
  • Fix Bits in use highlighting - yellow vice red @ 100%
  • Add Hardware version to IP and Gateway information
  • Change to ListView control for coax/HPNA reporting for better line-up of information
  • Add STB channels tab with current channels being watched, stream totals, and DVR space analysis.
  • Change ReadMe to PDF vice .txt file to be able to hold graphics.
  • Change to MSI installer to allow user to install WinPcap.
  • (1.2.1) Fix STB packet detection bug.
  • (1.2.1) Fix close program multithreading deadlock bug.

System Requirements Change

System requirements have been modified significantly from 2WireRealtime -- please read the documentation in the ReadMe file!

Basic System Requirements

• U-Verse Realtime requires a Windows XP, Vista, 7, Server 2003, Server 2008, or Server 2008R2 system to run. U-Verse Realtime is an x86 (32-bit) application, but will run on x64 machines with no issues.
  • U-Verse Realtime requires that the Microsoft .Net Framework v3.5 is installed on your system. If it is not, the installer will prompt you to install it. If you want to manually install it, go to Windows Update and look under the Optional updates.

Additional System Requirements for STB Channels/Streams Feature

• Use of the STB Channels/Streams feature requires a wired Ethernet network interface – U-Verse Realtime will not be able to gather this information on a computer with only a wireless interface.
  • Use of the STB Channels/Streams feature will probably require that any software firewalls be disabled completely. Note that it is not enough to “allow” or “whitelist” the U-Verse Realtime executable file because the packet capture techniques will still not work under that condition. In fact, some software firewalls may have to be removed from the computer completely rather than just disabled because they interfere with WinPcap.
  • It is highly recommended that the computer running U-Verse Realtime is directly connected to the RG, with no intervening network switch. If the computer is instead connected to a network switch, U-Verse Realtime will cause a large amount of extra network traffic that may interfere with other devices when the STB Channels/Streams feature is used.
  • The STB Channels/Streams feature is turned off by default. If you meet the above system requirements, you can turn it on by checking the “Enable Gathering STB Channel/Stream Data” setting on the Configuration tab.

As always, please post here with any comments or bugs.

Message 1 of 37 (1,441 Views)
Mentor

Re: U-Verse Realtime v1.2.1.0

BTW, this version also fixed my issue.  I wanted to add a local channel to the database also.  Please see below.

Multicast IP Address.  239.192.54.9

Channel Number. 1004

Channel Name.  NBC

Zip.  43221 (Columbus, OH)

Multicast IP Address.  239.192.54.8

Channel Number. 1006

Channel Name.  ABC

Multicast IP Address.  239.192.54.13

Channel Number. 1005

Channel Name.  WWHO CW Affiliate

Multicast IP Address.  239.192.54.10

Channel Number. 1010

Channel Name.  CBS

Multicast IP Address.  239.192.54.11

Channel Number. 1028

Channel Name.  FOX

Multicast IP Address.  239.192.54.12

Channel Number. 1034

Channel Name.  WOSU

Message 2 of 37 (1,413 Views)
Scholar

I installed this update and while the program now 'sees' the STB's, it only does so when there is no program being shown.  In other words, when you watch a given TV and activate the STB (or STB/DVR) the listing for that box disappears!  And there's no detection of what sort of stream (SD or HD) is being used. 

The capacity of the hard drive is shown at all times, however.  But that was also the case with your prior iteration. 

My computer (a PC running XP) running your software is connected directly to the RG via ethernet.  There is no software firewall running.  The RG feeds the DVR via ethernet (to a box (switch?) where my Blu-Ray and plasma TV also hook up to the network via ethernet) while feeding 2 other STB's via coax.  There is no distinction based on which method the RG is connected to the STB, however.

And thanks for your efforts in providing this free tool!:smileyhappy:

Message 3 of 37 (1,413 Views)
Expert

wiltshp,

I will get your channels added.  Can you also give me the multicast addresses for the SD versions of the channels?

Message 4 of 37 (1,413 Views)
Expert

Shyster,

Please do the following:

On the computer that you've got directly connected to the DVR:

• Download Wireshark
  • Install it, run it
  • In the upper left, there are 3 network icons, one of which is "Start a capture with options".  Click on that.
  • In the dialog box, there is a spot for a capture filter.  Type the following:

ip proto 2 and (dst host 224.0.0.1 or dst host 224.0.0.22)

• Start U-Verse Realtime, enable STB data gathering
  • Run the capture in Wireshark, capture for about 2 minutes
  • Stop the capture
  • Stop and close U-Verse Realtime
  • Save the capture in Wireshark
  • Send me the capture file via e-mail, I will PM you the E-mail address.

Message 5 of 37 (1,413 Views)
Scholar

Will do, SomeJoe7777.

Message 6 of 37 (1,413 Views)
Mentor

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

wiltshp,

I will get your channels added.  Can you also give me the multicast addresses for the SD versions of the channels?

I will do that this evening.  As of the channels.  Does this program connect to the database on the fly or am I going to need to re-download the app once you update the database.  I.E. for every grouping of channels you add will we have to re-download the app, or does this program connect to a database on the web somewhere that is just constantly active?

Message 7 of 37 (1,413 Views)
Expert

wiltshp wrote:

I will do that this evening.  As of the channels.  Does this program connect to the database on the fly or am I going to need to re-download the app once you update the database.  I.E. for every grouping of channels you add will we have to re-download the app, or does this program connect to a database on the web somewhere that is just constantly active?

Neither. :smileyhappy:

The channel database is kept in a file in the UVRT directory called "channelDB.dat".  When UVRT starts up, it checks my web server for a new version of this file, if it finds it then it is automatically downloaded to replace the existing one.

This is the best of both worlds.  No need to reinstall or update to get a new channel database file, and no need for a constant internet connection to make queries to the database.

By the way, the current version of the channel database file is shown in the About tab.

Message 8 of 37 (1,413 Views)
Mentor

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

wiltshp,

Multicast IP Address.  239.192.54.1

Channel Number. 4

Channel Name.  NBC

Multicast IP Address.  239.192.54.2

Channel Number. 6

Channel Name.  ABC

Multicast IP Address.  239.192.54.7

Channel Number. 5

Channel Name.  WWHO CW Affiliate

Multicast IP Address.  239.192.54.3

Channel Number. 10

Channel Name.  CBS

Multicast IP Address.  239.192.54.4

Channel Number. 28

Channel Name.  FOX

Multicast IP Address.  239.192.54.5

Channel Number. 34

Channel Name.  WOSU

Message 9 of 37 (1,413 Views)
Expert

Very cool, thanks, wiltshp.

Do you also have channels 48 and 51?  I already have the names/callsigns, I just need the multicast IPs.

As soon as I get those, I'll push out a channel DB update.  It will include Columbus, OH; Detroit, MI; Springfield, IL; and Milwaukee, WI.

Message 10 of 37 (1,413 Views)
Mentor

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

Very cool, thanks, wiltshp.

Do you also have channels 48 and 51?  I already have the names/callsigns, I just need the multicast IPs.

As soon as I get those, I'll push out a channel DB update.  It will include Columbus, OH; Detroit, MI; Springfield, IL; and Milwaukee, WI.

48:  239.192.54.20

51:  239.192.54.6

Message 11 of 37 (1,396 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

Cool, thanks!

New Channel DB is pushed out: 2010-06-19-1332-001.

Message 12 of 37 (1,396 Views)
Expert

I have posted a technical document that discusses IP multicast, IGMP, U-Verse Realtime's interaction with the local network, and the U-Verse IPTV system in general.

This document is intended for advanced network users.

It is available for download here.

Message 13 of 37 (1,396 Views)
Expert

Shyster,

I received your capture file.  The channels you were watching at the time are not in the 239.192.x.x subnet like all other channels seen to date, they're in 239.193.x.x.  I will have to add code to handle this and bump the version.

Thanks for your capture.

Message 14 of 37 (1,396 Views)
Scholar

Thanks.  I appreciate your time & effort!:smileyhappy:

Message 15 of 37 (1,396 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.