Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jun 24, 2010
10:19:23 AM
U-Verse Realtime Named STB Mac Address

Named MAC Address does not show up anywhere else.  Expected to see it on the Coax/HPNA page.  Mac addresses shown there don't match anything in my network.  Am I misinterpreting something?

1724iB432958CD058EC8A1725i58828DD1C10D7285

Named MAC Address does not show up anywhere else.  Expected to see it on the Coax/HPNA page.  Mac addresses shown there don't match anything in my network.  Am I misinterpreting something?

1724iB432958CD058EC8A1725i58828DD1C10D7285

U-Verse Realtime Named STB Mac Address

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2010 11:02:58 AM
(0)
Expert

UVRT gets the MAC address information in these two pages from different sources.

The MAC addresses on the Coax/HPNA tab are what's reported by the RG on this page.

The MAC addresses on the Channels/Streams tab are what is being seen on the network via packet capture.

They should be the same, but perhaps there is something else going on.

How many STBs do you have?  It looks like you have 4 (DVR + 3 STBs).

Can you check the bottom of each STB/DVR and see what the MAC address is that's printed on the bottom of each?  See if that matches the listings in one of the tabs.

UVRT gets the MAC address information in these two pages from different sources.

The MAC addresses on the Coax/HPNA tab are what's reported by the RG on this page.

The MAC addresses on the Channels/Streams tab are what is being seen on the network via packet capture.

They should be the same, but perhaps there is something else going on.

How many STBs do you have?  It looks like you have 4 (DVR + 3 STBs).

Can you check the bottom of each STB/DVR and see what the MAC address is that's printed on the bottom of each?  See if that matches the listings in one of the tabs.

Re: U-Verse Realtime Named STB Mac Address

2 of 12 (1,465 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2010 12:44:27 PM
(0)
Tutor

My devices' MAC addresses, as stamped on the casings, are properly displayed on

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_0, matching the info on the CHANNELS/STREAMS tab.

However, http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_5 does match the info on the Coax/HPNA tab.

My devices' MAC addresses, as stamped on the casings, are properly displayed on

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_0, matching the info on the CHANNELS/STREAMS tab.

However, http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_5 does match the info on the Coax/HPNA tab.

3 of 12 (1,465 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2010 1:27:54 PM
(0)
Expert

OK, please do the following to get some of the HTML source code from your RG, this will help me troubleshoot:

There is information from two URLs that I need:

1. http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_5

2. http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_0

Go to each of these URLs by clicking on it.  Then, for each URL:

1. Right-click somewhere within the web page and select View Source (Internet Explorer) or View Page Source (Firefox).

2. In the window that pops up, click in it and hit Ctrl-A to select all text, and Ctrl-C to copy the text to the clipboard.

3. Create a new reply here on the UTalk forum in this thread.  Click the code button (looks like this:   ) in the toolbar.  In the window that pops up, hit Ctrl-V to paste the HTML source code.

4. Click the Insert button to insert the code into your reply post.  Then click the Post button to post your reply.

This will allow me to see if there is a problem with the Coax/HPNA information and or the Channels/Streams information.

OK, please do the following to get some of the HTML source code from your RG, this will help me troubleshoot:

There is information from two URLs that I need:

1. http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_5

2. http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_0

Go to each of these URLs by clicking on it.  Then, for each URL:

1. Right-click somewhere within the web page and select View Source (Internet Explorer) or View Page Source (Firefox).

2. In the window that pops up, click in it and hit Ctrl-A to select all text, and Ctrl-C to copy the text to the clipboard.

3. Create a new reply here on the UTalk forum in this thread.  Click the code button (looks like this:   ) in the toolbar.  In the window that pops up, hit Ctrl-V to paste the HTML source code.

4. Click the Insert button to insert the code into your reply post.  Then click the Post button to post your reply.

This will allow me to see if there is a problem with the Coax/HPNA information and or the Channels/Streams information.

4 of 12 (1,465 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2010 1:59:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

Forum will not let me insert that large a message.

Forum will not let me insert that large a message.

5 of 12 (1,465 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2010 2:05:04 PM
(0)
Expert

OK, in that case, save the web pages as an .html file (2 files, one for each page), and e-mail them to me.  I will PM you my e-mail address.

OK, in that case, save the web pages as an .html file (2 files, one for each page), and e-mail them to me.  I will PM you my e-mail address.

6 of 12 (1,465 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2010 9:04:50 PM
(0)
Expert

OK, found out what's going on.

The STBs actually use two different MAC addresses internally.  One is the MAC address of the actual network interface of the STB, where all packets come from and are sent to.  This is the MAC address on the bottom of the unit and the MAC address that shows up in the Channels/Streams tab.

The HPNA port has it's own MAC address specifically for the coax/HPNA interface.  This MAC address is equivalent to the MAC address of a switch port -- it's there but normally invisible because it doesn't generate or receive traffic, it only switches it between media types.  The Coax/HPNA tab, which gets information from the C_2_5 page of the RG, reports these HPNA MAC addresses which are different.

What I will have to do in a future version is allow independent renaming of STBs on the Coax/HPNA page.  Currently, the RG appears to have no way to tie the HPNA MAC addresses to either the IP address or the network interface MAC address.

OK, found out what's going on.

The STBs actually use two different MAC addresses internally.  One is the MAC address of the actual network interface of the STB, where all packets come from and are sent to.  This is the MAC address on the bottom of the unit and the MAC address that shows up in the Channels/Streams tab.

The HPNA port has it's own MAC address specifically for the coax/HPNA interface.  This MAC address is equivalent to the MAC address of a switch port -- it's there but normally invisible because it doesn't generate or receive traffic, it only switches it between media types.  The Coax/HPNA tab, which gets information from the C_2_5 page of the RG, reports these HPNA MAC addresses which are different.

What I will have to do in a future version is allow independent renaming of STBs on the Coax/HPNA page.  Currently, the RG appears to have no way to tie the HPNA MAC addresses to either the IP address or the network interface MAC address.

7 of 12 (1,465 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 24, 2010 11:49:42 PM
(0)
Tutor

How would someone id which HPNA port corresponds to which Channels/Streams port?

How would someone id which HPNA port corresponds to which Channels/Streams port?

8 of 12 (1,465 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 25, 2010 9:18:32 AM
(0)
Expert

About the only way to do that is to write down the MAC addresses in the Coax/HPNA tab, then write down the MAC addresses in the Channels/Streams tab, then one at a time disconnect each STB from the coax.

After the STB is disconnected, one MAC address will disappear from both tabs.  Look at your list and see which MAC address in each list is missing, and now you have a correlation.

Be aware that UVRT only updates the Coax/HPNA tab once every 5 minutes, so it may take up to that long for a MAC address to disappear from there.  If you want to get quicker results, go directly to the C_2_5 page of the RG, and it should disappear from the last table on that page fairly quickly once it's disconnected.

About the only way to do that is to write down the MAC addresses in the Coax/HPNA tab, then write down the MAC addresses in the Channels/Streams tab, then one at a time disconnect each STB from the coax.

After the STB is disconnected, one MAC address will disappear from both tabs.  Look at your list and see which MAC address in each list is missing, and now you have a correlation.

Be aware that UVRT only updates the Coax/HPNA tab once every 5 minutes, so it may take up to that long for a MAC address to disappear from there.  If you want to get quicker results, go directly to the C_2_5 page of the RG, and it should disappear from the last table on that page fairly quickly once it's disconnected.

9 of 12 (1,465 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2010 6:57:54 PM
(0)
Tutor

I may try that.

But first, could the order of destination devices listed in the Coax/HPNA be the same as found on the Channels/Streams page?

I may try that.

But first, could the order of destination devices listed in the Coax/HPNA be the same as found on the Channels/Streams page?

10 of 12 (1,465 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 26, 2010 8:19:49 PM
(0)
Expert

Currently, the entries on the Coax/HPNA tab are in the same order as reported in the RG's C_2_5 page.

The entries on the Channels/Streams tab are sorted in order by MAC address, then by the multicast IP address.

Since the network interface MAC and the HPNA MAC are not related to each other, if I sort both lists the same way, that still doesn't guarantee that the STB units would match up by position in the list.

Currently, the entries on the Coax/HPNA tab are in the same order as reported in the RG's C_2_5 page.

The entries on the Channels/Streams tab are sorted in order by MAC address, then by the multicast IP address.

Since the network interface MAC and the HPNA MAC are not related to each other, if I sort both lists the same way, that still doesn't guarantee that the STB units would match up by position in the list.

11 of 12 (783 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 31, 2010 5:14:19 AM
(0)
Expert

I am seeing the same thing, so that at least explains it.  Noticed that the last 4 numbers in the HPNA MACs were off by 1 digit.

And maybe this is why my Cat5 lines stay named and the HPNA ones will disappear in UVRT?  (even though I read you store this info separate so it stays saved?)

I am seeing the same thing, so that at least explains it.  Noticed that the last 4 numbers in the HPNA MACs were off by 1 digit.

And maybe this is why my Cat5 lines stay named and the HPNA ones will disappear in UVRT?  (even though I read you store this info separate so it stays saved?)

12 of 12 (783 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments