Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted May 28, 2011
10:46:19 AM
View profile
Trying to setup my Dlink Router with Bonded Pair setup

Hello I am new to Uverse & Im not having any progress on getting my existing DLink Wireless N Router  to work with the i3812V + i38hg setup.

The ATT Tech said it should work even without the i38HG but we couldn't get it to work no matter how it was connected.

1. Tried direct connection to i3812V

2. Tried Connecting Dlink thru i38HG

3. Tried connecting both i38HG & Dlink  thru network Switch

At this point we decided it had to be router settings that need setup to work with Uverse. I have tried searching but everything I have found is more towards a single pair system using different equipment.

I have tried many different settings with no luck. I don't mind buying a new router if that is the real problem but I need Wireless N capability because of frequent network file sharing.

I am thinking at this point somehow I need to setup a static IP but I am not sure so thought I would ask here?

Thanks in advance

Hello I am new to Uverse & Im not having any progress on getting my existing DLink Wireless N Router  to work with the i3812V + i38hg setup.

The ATT Tech said it should work even without the i38HG but we couldn't get it to work no matter how it was connected.

1. Tried direct connection to i3812V

2. Tried Connecting Dlink thru i38HG

3. Tried connecting both i38HG & Dlink  thru network Switch

At this point we decided it had to be router settings that need setup to work with Uverse. I have tried searching but everything I have found is more towards a single pair system using different equipment.

I have tried many different settings with no luck. I don't mind buying a new router if that is the real problem but I need Wireless N capability because of frequent network file sharing.

I am thinking at this point somehow I need to setup a static IP but I am not sure so thought I would ask here?

Thanks in advance

Trying to setup my Dlink Router with Bonded Pair setup

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2011 11:59:43 PM
(0)
Explorer

Anyone????

Thanks

Anyone????

Thanks

Re: Trying to setup my Dlink Router with Bonded Pair setup

2 of 10 (979 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2011 10:57:30 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by SomeJoe7777 on May 30, 2011 at 10:58:26 AM

To set up the D-Link as a wireless access point, you will plug it into the i38HG using an Ethernet cable going from one of the Ethernet ports on the i38HG to one of the LAN Ethernet ports on the D-Link.

Do that then follow the rest of the directions here:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-anoth...

You will probably then also need to turn off the wireless on the i38HG.

To set up the D-Link as a wireless access point, you will plug it into the i38HG using an Ethernet cable going from one of the Ethernet ports on the i38HG to one of the LAN Ethernet ports on the D-Link.

Do that then follow the rest of the directions here:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Residential-Gateway/U-verse-for-BUSINESS-2Wire-3600HGV-bridge-mode-or-another-AT-amp/m-p/2723261#M313

You will probably then also need to turn off the wireless on the i38HG.

[ Edited ]
3 of 10 (959 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 30, 2011 10:42:39 PM
(0)
Explorer

Thanks for the help Joe I really appreciate it & I will try it out tomorrow just got in from a day on the boat.

Question the tech seemed to think with the bonded pair setup I shouldn't  have needed the i38GH at all. He kept trying to get the Dlink to connect directly to the outside box without the i38GH?

I am not thinking based on your directions this isn't possible?

Thanks Again,

Thanks for the help Joe I really appreciate it & I will try it out tomorrow just got in from a day on the boat.

Question the tech seemed to think with the bonded pair setup I shouldn't  have needed the i38GH at all. He kept trying to get the Dlink to connect directly to the outside box without the i38GH?

Thanks Again,

4 of 10 (943 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2011 7:43:12 AM
(0)
Expert

mcgyver210 wrote:

It is, but only if the proper wiring and setup is used.

Normally, the i38HG is connected to the iNID (i3812V, outside) using a single-pair link, which uses HPNA as the protocol.  HPNA will not work with your own router, so if HPNA is used for this link, you must use the i38HG.

There is a single Ethernet port in the i3812V outside.  If you have full 4-pair Cat5e wiring going from outside to inside, then you can terminate that on both ends with an RJ45, plug it into the Ethernet port in the i3812V, and then use that for your router.  But that is not normally installed or set up by AT&T.  Also, the default setting of the i3812V's Ethernet port is disabled.  You will have bring up the web browser to go to the settings of the i3812V and turn the Ethernet port on via this page:

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_5

(Note that I'm not positive about that page.  The Ethernet port option is only on the iNID, which I don't have, so I'm guesstimating that from memory).

mcgyver210 wrote:

It is, but only if the proper wiring and setup is used.

Normally, the i38HG is connected to the iNID (i3812V, outside) using a single-pair link, which uses HPNA as the protocol.  HPNA will not work with your own router, so if HPNA is used for this link, you must use the i38HG.

There is a single Ethernet port in the i3812V outside.  If you have full 4-pair Cat5e wiring going from outside to inside, then you can terminate that on both ends with an RJ45, plug it into the Ethernet port in the i3812V, and then use that for your router.  But that is not normally installed or set up by AT&T.  Also, the default setting of the i3812V's Ethernet port is disabled.  You will have bring up the web browser to go to the settings of the i3812V and turn the Ethernet port on via this page:

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_5

(Note that I'm not positive about that page.  The Ethernet port option is only on the iNID, which I don't have, so I'm guesstimating that from memory).

5 of 10 (930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2011 10:10:35 AM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by mcgyver210 on May 31, 2011 at 11:07:59 AM

I have checked the link you provided but it was the statistics page  I assumed you meant the Wired Interface page http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_2 it says:

Outside Unit (iNID) Ethernet Port

Outside EthernetEnable
Speed & Duplex Mode AutoDetect

So would this mean I should be able to completely bypass the need for the i38HG by using the outside eithernet port instead of the RJ45 surface mount jack installed next to my patch pannel?

Or is there a good reason to keep the leased i38HG & use your other instructions to bridge it  which I have never done but didn't seem that difficult?

Thanks Again for your help & valuable time on this Joe, wish I had more of your knowledge WOW!

PS. I am going to do as you said & connect directly to the outside port because I know the tech used one pair of the Cat5 to power the battery which means 4 pair wasn't available inside.

I have checked the link you provided but it was the statistics page  I assumed you meant the Wired Interface page http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_2_2 it says:

Outside Unit (iNID) Ethernet Port

Outside EthernetEnable
Speed & Duplex Mode AutoDetect

So would this mean I should be able to completely bypass the need for the i38HG by using the outside eithernet port instead of the RJ45 surface mount jack installed next to my patch pannel?

Or is there a good reason to keep the leased i38HG & use your other instructions to bridge it  which I have never done but didn't seem that difficult?

Thanks Again for your help & valuable time on this Joe, wish I had more of your knowledge WOW!

PS. I am going to do as you said & connect directly to the outside port because I know the tech used one pair of the Cat5 to power the battery which means 4 pair wasn't available inside.

[ Edited ]
6 of 10 (924 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2011 4:17:07 PM
(0)
Explorer

Ok I now have the DLink Router working without using the i38HG at all.

All I really had to do was turn of the internal DHCP Server of the Dlink which made it work so far.

I have everything to do with set top boxes for TV & internet working off the eithernet port first thru a Switch then thru the Dlink router. The switch is supplying my TVs & Router & all seem to be working as they are supposed to.

Now I may not need the i38HG for anything.

Thanks Joe for all your advice & help.

Please let me know if you think I have done something wrong?

Ok I now have the DLink Router working without using the i38HG at all.

All I really had to do was turn of the internal DHCP Server of the Dlink which made it work so far.

I have everything to do with set top boxes for TV & internet working off the eithernet port first thru a Switch then thru the Dlink router. The switch is supplying my TVs & Router & all seem to be working as they are supposed to.

Now I may not need the i38HG for anything.

Thanks Joe for all your advice & help.

Please let me know if you think I have done something wrong?

7 of 10 (899 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 31, 2011 5:19:06 PM
(0)
Expert

Cool, that sounds good.  I don't see anything wrong with that setup.  Let us know if you have other issues.

Cool, that sounds good.  I don't see anything wrong with that setup.  Let us know if you have other issues.

8 of 10 (896 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2011 12:55:12 PM
(0)
Explorer
Edited by mcgyver210 on Jun 2, 2011 at 1:14:04 PM

Hey Joe? 

I have run into an issue which I think is to do with the way the iNid handles DHCP. It seems that the router works perfectly but every so many minutes it looses connection & must be signed on to again or sometimes will come back up in a few seconds on its own.

This also seems to happen with the i38HG at times & I have noticed the i38HG has trouble connecting & always shows an error that it can't connect offering to run diagnostic but sometimes it just starts up after you press Cancel & then sometimes it takes a few tries.

Do you know a fix for this?

Hey Joe? 

I have run into an issue which I think is to do with the way the iNid handles DHCP. It seems that the router works perfectly but every so many minutes it looses connection & must be signed on to again or sometimes will come back up in a few seconds on its own.

This also seems to happen with the i38HG at times & I have noticed the i38HG has trouble connecting & always shows an error that it can't connect offering to run diagnostic but sometimes it just starts up after you press Cancel & then sometimes it takes a few tries.

Do you know a fix for this?

[ Edited ]
9 of 10 (871 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 2, 2011 4:20:20 PM
(0)
Expert
If you have a personal firewall or other 3rd-party firewall software on your PC, turn it off and see what happens.
If you have a personal firewall or other 3rd-party firewall software on your PC, turn it off and see what happens.

10 of 10 (857 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments