Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted May 25, 2010
6:21:36 AM
View profile
Troubleshooting line - worth it?

Well, it's been over a year since I registered here to try to solve the disconnections I've been getting. I've got a "High probablility of noisy or unstable VDSL line". I've called tech support over a dozen times, usually they ignore that and try to do something remotely. I've had 4 or 5 techs come out to try to troubleshoot the line, they all say it 'looks good, can't find anything wrong with it', give me a new RG, and take off.

SomeJoe777's comment below seems to indicate to me that pretty much any electrical device in my apartment building could be causing this problem. I guess my question is, should I bother jumping through the TS hoops again? Or is it likely that some random light bulb a mile away that I'll never find is causing the problem?

"Do you have any AM radio stations near you?  A transmitter within a mile or so at 1550 KHz could cause this.  Are there any HAM radio operators in the area? ... You can also extend this further to other electrical devices in the house, especially devices with a ballast or other electronic control for a high power device like a dimmable lamp or light.  Halogen "torch"-style lamps and fluorescent lights both fall into this category.  So do outside lights that are gas-discharge (mercury vapor or sodium vapor style)... We've even seen street lights with a bad ballast cause interference like this on occasion."

Well, it's been over a year since I registered here to try to solve the disconnections I've been getting. I've got a "High probablility of noisy or unstable VDSL line". I've called tech support over a dozen times, usually they ignore that and try to do something remotely. I've had 4 or 5 techs come out to try to troubleshoot the line, they all say it 'looks good, can't find anything wrong with it', give me a new RG, and take off.

SomeJoe777's comment below seems to indicate to me that pretty much any electrical device in my apartment building could be causing this problem. I guess my question is, should I bother jumping through the TS hoops again? Or is it likely that some random light bulb a mile away that I'll never find is causing the problem?

"Do you have any AM radio stations near you?  A transmitter within a mile or so at 1550 KHz could cause this.  Are there any HAM radio operators in the area? ... You can also extend this further to other electrical devices in the house, especially devices with a ballast or other electronic control for a high power device like a dimmable lamp or light.  Halogen "torch"-style lamps and fluorescent lights both fall into this category.  So do outside lights that are gas-discharge (mercury vapor or sodium vapor style)... We've even seen street lights with a bad ballast cause interference like this on occasion."

Troubleshooting line - worth it?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2010 6:41:32 AM
(0)
Expert

Download 2WireRealtime from here, run it and post screenshots of the IP/Profile and Bitloading tabs. This should give us some information on your line and its capabilities, and if there are any problems that need to be looked at.

Download 2WireRealtime from here, run it and post screenshots of the IP/Profile and Bitloading tabs. This should give us some information on your line and its capabilities, and if there are any problems that need to be looked at.

Re: Troubleshooting line - worth it?

2 of 4 (610 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2010 10:19:55 AM
(0)
Tutor

1650i32025D3EE55465181651i20B39C43FE6F4E17

This is what I've been looking at:

1652i30842B124D151E6A

1650i32025D3EE55465181651i20B39C43FE6F4E17

This is what I've been looking at:

1652i30842B124D151E6A

3 of 4 (610 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2010 1:48:25 PM
(0)
Expert

You're pretty close to the VRAD, which is good.  But there's some severe interference going on in the 700 kHz to 1500 kHz range and it's causing a lot of FEC and CRC errors.  This is right in the middle of the AM radio band.

Pull up Radio Locator, and put in your zip code.  See what AM radio transmitters are within 10 miles of you.  For those less than 10 miles away, click on the yellow information icon (with the "i" in the middle) to get information on that transmitter, including the map of the location, radiation pattern, and transmitter power.

My hunch is that you might be very near a "farm" of transmitters, and/or you have arial wire drops vice buried drops to your house.  The arial wire drops pick up more AM interference.

Sometimes, the transmitter details will also show if the station transmits differently during different times of the day.  I have a transmitter at 850 kHz 5 miles away from me that broadcasts 10 KW during the day and only 150 W at night.  During the day, there is a notable black line at 850 kHz on my bitloading chart, and it disappears at night.

A good start to troubleshoot this would be to have the U-Verse techs come and change what pair you're on.  The interference might be coming from somewhere else, and changing the pair might help.

You're pretty close to the VRAD, which is good.  But there's some severe interference going on in the 700 kHz to 1500 kHz range and it's causing a lot of FEC and CRC errors.  This is right in the middle of the AM radio band.

Pull up Radio Locator, and put in your zip code.  See what AM radio transmitters are within 10 miles of you.  For those less than 10 miles away, click on the yellow information icon (with the "i" in the middle) to get information on that transmitter, including the map of the location, radiation pattern, and transmitter power.

My hunch is that you might be very near a "farm" of transmitters, and/or you have arial wire drops vice buried drops to your house.  The arial wire drops pick up more AM interference.

Sometimes, the transmitter details will also show if the station transmits differently during different times of the day.  I have a transmitter at 850 kHz 5 miles away from me that broadcasts 10 KW during the day and only 150 W at night.  During the day, there is a notable black line at 850 kHz on my bitloading chart, and it disappears at night.

A good start to troubleshoot this would be to have the U-Verse techs come and change what pair you're on.  The interference might be coming from somewhere else, and changing the pair might help.

4 of 4 (610 Views)