Torrents with U-Verse...I know its been asked before but...

Tutor

Torrents with U-Verse...I know its been asked before but...

I have searched through the threads on this forum and other U-Verse forums but still have not found a specific answer to the question of "Why torrent downloads are slow?" 

Like some other threads, I am receiving D/L speeds of 30-40 kB/s(Kilo Bytes per Second).  I have run the speed tests and seem to be showing 5.6 kb/s(Kilo Bits per second) and am confused by this.

Also, I know what port forwarding is but dont see why it would be used for downloading a torrent.  Also, if it is used, I dont understand how I would set up the uTorrent application to port forward correctly.  Thanks so much for your help.

Message 1 of 19
Scholar

Re: Torrents with U-Verse...I know its been asked before but...

SomeJoe7777 wrote:

donatom3 wrote:

Just wish I could put the stbs on the 3rd party router so I wouldn't have to run a second cat5 to each location to get other devices hard wired.

VLANs.

I didn't think of Vlan's but that looks like it would completely solve that problem.  Now the only part to think of which is more cost effective running that extra wire and the time associated or all the switches needed.  Btw, love the diagrams.

Message Edited by donatom3 on 04-13-2009 02:13 PM
Message 16 of 19

Re: Torrents with U-Verse...I know its been asked before but...

donatom3 wrote:
I didn't think of Vlan's but that looks like it would completely solve that problem.  Now the only part to think of which is more cost effective running that extra wire and the time associated or all the switches needed.  Btw, love the diagrams.
Message Edited by donatom3 on 04-13-2009 02:13 PM

If you don't need gigabit throughput you could always duplex the cat5 you are currently using.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.

Message Edited by Computer-Joe on 04-13-2009 08:25 PM

Message 17 of 19
Contributor

How I corrected the problem

I was having this problem with utorrent. The torrents would work fine for a minute or two, but then would slow to ridiculously low rates (<0.5kbs). To get a decent speed I had to continually stop and start my torrents.

I tried mapping different ports, updating my utorrent client, disabling my firewall, uninstalling my antivirus, disabling peerblock and optimizing my network with TCPOptimizer. None of it worked.

I finally fixed the problem by switching to Vuze, I don't know why it works but it does. I've used utorrent for years and it was annoying to switch but I gotta go with what works.

BTW AT&T U-verse is not listed on Vuse's Bad ISP list so I don't think they throttle torrent traffic.

http://wiki.vuze.com/w/Bad_ISPs 

Message 18 of 19
Guru

Re: How I corrected the problem

I use uTorrent and have had no issues, nor have I seen any throttling.

Downloading Ubuntu releases at 24 Mb/sec is, well...nice.

Message 19 of 19
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support