Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 21, 2009
5:27:34 PM
Too many recorded movies

Our 2 Grandsons have had us record too many movies on our DVR. 

Since I am already familiar with PCs and routers, if I connect an ethernet cable between a router and the back of the STB, will I be able to retrieve those movies to write them to a DVD?  If so, how will the STB be identified to my PC?  Also, how will I tell the STB which movie I want to retrieve, or will the STB just show up as a box with a hard drive and will the movies appear in a format that the PC will recognize (assume Win XP w/SP3 as the OS)?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Our 2 Grandsons have had us record too many movies on our DVR. 

Since I am already familiar with PCs and routers, if I connect an ethernet cable between a router and the back of the STB, will I be able to retrieve those movies to write them to a DVD?  If so, how will the STB be identified to my PC?  Also, how will I tell the STB which movie I want to retrieve, or will the STB just show up as a box with a hard drive and will the movies appear in a format that the PC will recognize (assume Win XP w/SP3 as the OS)?

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

Too many recorded movies

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2009 5:36:39 PM
(0)
Professor
The Uverse DVR does not support streaming a recording to a PC or copying programs off to external media.

There are ways to use a video capture card or appliance to record to a DVD or VHS in real time, but those require special hardware on the PC.

The Uverse DVR does not support streaming a recording to a PC or copying programs off to external media.

There are ways to use a video capture card or appliance to record to a DVD or VHS in real time, but those require special hardware on the PC.

Re: Too many recorded movies

2 of 12 (536 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2009 10:17:50 PM
(0)
Guru
One possibility is a bit more basic, and will only work if you have non-copy protected movies (usually from the non-pay channels like USA or A&E), is to connect a DVR recorder to the Composite (Red/White/Yellow) cable from the STB.  Of course the DVR will only get a 480i signal, but the DVDs that result aren't all that bad.  As I'm writing this, I realized you could probably direct that Composite signal to a PC capture card, and do the same thing.  Should work with a Component (Blue/Green/Red) connection also, if your DVR or PC Capture card will support it.
One possibility is a bit more basic, and will only work if you have non-copy protected movies (usually from the non-pay channels like USA or A&E), is to connect a DVR recorder to the Composite (Red/White/Yellow) cable from the STB.  Of course the DVR will only get a 480i signal, but the DVDs that result aren't all that bad.  As I'm writing this, I realized you could probably direct that Composite signal to a PC capture card, and do the same thing.  Should work with a Component (Blue/Green/Red) connection also, if your DVR or PC Capture card will support it.

3 of 12 (536 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2009 6:28:07 AM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks, folks, I appreciate your responses!

We do have a VCR that I can plug in between the STB and the TV, then play each movie and record as it passes through the VCR, so I guess we'll go that route. 

I was looking for a way to use the PC to create DVDs because our Daughter doesn't have a VCR to play them, but since I don't have a capture card in my computer, and don't want to spend the cash for one, I guess I'm left with only one option.

Oh well, Thanks, again, for your input and knowledge!

Ken

Thanks, folks, I appreciate your responses!

We do have a VCR that I can plug in between the STB and the TV, then play each movie and record as it passes through the VCR, so I guess we'll go that route. 

I was looking for a way to use the PC to create DVDs because our Daughter doesn't have a VCR to play them, but since I don't have a capture card in my computer, and don't want to spend the cash for one, I guess I'm left with only one option.

Oh well, Thanks, again, for your input and knowledge!

Ken

4 of 12 (536 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2009 8:47:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Ken: A capture card may be a good investment and may be relatively cheap.  Also you may find various Happague (or other branded) TV cards for sale cheap on eBay as some Media Center users are undoubtedly taking out their old NTSC (nee analog TV) TV cards after the DTV transition, and many of those double as a captture card.
Ken: A capture card may be a good investment and may be relatively cheap.  Also you may find various Happague (or other branded) TV cards for sale cheap on eBay as some Media Center users are undoubtedly taking out their old NTSC (nee analog TV) TV cards after the DTV transition, and many of those double as a captture card.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 12 (536 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2009 9:35:27 AM
(0)
Guru
Another capture option is the external Dazzle family of devices.  They just plug into an available USB port, and avoid the bother of getting into the guts of your PC.
Another capture option is the external Dazzle family of devices.  They just plug into an available USB port, and avoid the bother of getting into the guts of your PC.

6 of 12 (536 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2009 11:24:23 AM
(0)
Scholar

if available in your area, you can call cust support and request a larger DVR box.

you would probably have to pay a truck roll fee.. but thats also a option

if available in your area, you can call cust support and request a larger DVR box.

you would probably have to pay a truck roll fee.. but thats also a option

7 of 12 (536 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2009 6:33:40 PM
(0)
Teacher

elliswl,

That's an interesting idea!  Do you have any idea how that would work with the AT&T/Motorola DVR?  Would it need to be connected to the PC at the same time?

Thanks for the info/idea!

elliswl,

That's an interesting idea!  Do you have any idea how that would work with the AT&T/Motorola DVR?  Would it need to be connected to the PC at the same time?

Thanks for the info/idea!

8 of 12 (536 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2009 7:30:50 PM
(0)
Guru
I'm doing it with my Motorola 1225 as we speak, and yes, the PC must be on and connected via the composite (Red/White/Yellow) cables and obviously have a video capture program running.  You should be able to record anything that comes off the STB.
I'm doing it with my Motorola 1225 as we speak, and yes, the PC must be on and connected via the composite (Red/White/Yellow) cables and obviously have a video capture program running.  You should be able to record anything that comes off the STB.

9 of 12 (536 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 22, 2009 7:35:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

elliswl wrote:

Where there's a will there's a way.

elliswl wrote:

Where there's a will there's a way.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

10 of 12 (536 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2009 5:20:20 PM
(0)
Teacher

Bill,

You wrote: "and obviously have a video capture program running"...isn't that what the Dazzle hardware is, coupled with the "Pinnacle Studio™ software (includes Pinnacle InstantDVD Recorder software)" included with the hardware?

Thanks, one more time!

Bill,

You wrote: "and obviously have a video capture program running"...isn't that what the Dazzle hardware is, coupled with the "Pinnacle Studio™ software (includes Pinnacle InstantDVD Recorder software)" included with the hardware?

Thanks, one more time!

11 of 12 (162 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2009 5:32:06 PM
(0)
Guru
The Dazzle works with many capture programs, of which Pinnacle is one.  Just this morning I got an ad for a hardware/software combo from Roxio fot $79.99.  It has their Creator 2009 software, plus a USB capture device.  Looks like it will take composite (red/white/yellow) as well as s-video input.
The Dazzle works with many capture programs, of which Pinnacle is one.  Just this morning I got an ad for a hardware/software combo from Roxio fot $79.99.  It has their Creator 2009 software, plus a USB capture device.  Looks like it will take composite (red/white/yellow) as well as s-video input.

12 of 12 (162 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments