Tips of Calibration

Highlighted
Mentor

Tips of Calibration

Greetings colleagues:

IMHO, Here is my collective thought on calibration:  First of all I would like to thank SomeJoe, Randyl, and the other learned uverse colleagues on their continued support on this community.  With their input, I have achieved the perfect HD picture on uverse.  For your reference, my television set is Samsung, pn50b450.

If you look into my history, you will see that I am truly concerned with quality HD picture and proper calibration.  I personally rewired my home for uverse service, studied SomeJoe's calibration technique using HDNET pattern, reviewed Randyl's caution regarding calibration, and the calibration for dummies website, among other things.  This was about two years of research and trial & error.  Guess what?  With patience, they do work.

Initially, I tried to achieve the perfect D6500K (313,329) picture, but this PQ is usually assigned to the movie/cinema mode which is a little too dark for some people or in some environments.  The standard or normal mode, which is a little brighter than the movie mode, may be a better calibration choice for a brighter picture.  From my research, this standard/normal mode may have a technical reference point of x=.288, and y=.296 (calibration jargon), if you are using the user menu's white balance in the advanced settings and a colorimeter.  

Using a blue ray player source with the DVE calibration dvd, I set all of the adjustments to default and turned off the additional features like enhancements, etc.  Calibrating the contrast, brightness, and white balance to the above reference point produced a decent picture, with gamma referenced on the colorimeter at 2.22.  During this calibration, I found out that the contrast was too high and reduced it accordingly, per calibration for dummies website.  The gamma adjustment in the advanced settings in the user menu was also adjusted to -1 to get a measurement on the colorimeter close to 2.2.

Next, I had to adjust the picture setting (brightness only) for uverse.  I switched the hdmi connection from the blue ray player to the uverse stb and turned on the HDnet calibration pattern, which I previously recorded.  I only adjusted the brightness, with the sharpness turned all the way down.  Result? Immediate perfect picture.  The calibration technical temperature for the standard mode is running about 9000K, which is higher than the D6500K goal, but the picture looks great.

If you are interested, here are my settings:

For uverse hdmi source: standard mode, cell 4, contrast 72, brightness 51 but adjusted to 46 for uverse, sharpness 0, color tint default 50, black tone off, dynamic contrast off, gamma -1, color space native, white balance: r setoff 24, g setoff 25, b setoff 36, r gain 28, g gain25, b gain 34, flesh tone 0, edge enhancement off,  color tone normal, size screen fit, digital nr off, hdmi black level low, film mode off.

My (untested) blue ray settings for movies are (No uverse adjustments) movie mode @ D6500K,

movie, cell 7, contrast 82, brightness 51, sharpness 0, color tint default 50, black tone off, dynamic contrast off, gamma 2, color space native, white balance: r setoff 20, g setoff 25, b setoff 30, r gain 40, g gain25, b gain 40, flesh tone 0, edge enhancement off,  color tone normal, size screen fit, digital nr off, hdmi black level low, film mode off.

These above settings may or may not work on your samsung, as all televisions are different.

Thanks again to the learned uverse colleagues.  I believe that Uverse does indeed deliver a quality HD picture.

IMHO,

Vincentfam, no longer the hermit.

Message 1 of 5 (1,053 Views)
Expert

Re: Tips of Calibration

Thanks for posting proof it CAN be done (improved PQ on UV). :smileywink:

Message 2 of 5 (1,053 Views)
Guru

I decided to follow some of your setting suggestions.  There were menu options that seem to not exist on my Samsung TV so I only did a few of the settings.  Even with the few adjustments that I've made it has made the picture look a whole lot better.  The macroblocking is nowhere near as noticable (especially on dark scenes) as it once was for me.

Only thing that seems to present macroblocking right now is when the whole picture changes.  But that's probably because my TV's only a 60 Hz TV as versus some of the more advanced 120 and 240 Hz TVs.

Thanks!

Message 3 of 5 (1,053 Views)
Mentor

spd2demun, you do of course realize that you are one of the respected learned uverse peers?

Always in high def,

Vincentfam, no longer the hermit.

Message 4 of 5 (1,053 Views)
Expert

:smileysurprised:  I'm just glad to see someone post that by following SJs and others' instructions here, it can be improved.  May you be an example to all the naysayers who come here and say otherwise.  :smileywink:

Message 5 of 5 (1,053 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.