On the other hand level 2
technician has explained to me that Thunderbird is not compatible with
U-verse?!? :mansurprised:

If anyone have any ideas or
solution please drop me a line, thanks

Message 1 of 28
Scholar

Re: Thunderbird third party email accounts setup. PLEASE HELP

I had issues with getting 100% free and clear port 25 access out of the AT&T network.  Even when they disabled the normal port 25 blocking that AT&T places on all AT&T Yahoo!DSL and Uverse accounts - while I could reach some Yahoo servers on port 25, I could not get port 25 access to my own servers hosted off AT&T everywhere.

After spending time with Tier 2 tech support and trying all sorts of scenarios - we (myself and Tier 2 guy who was quite knowledgable - just not of the deeper workings of the LightSpeed network) that somewhere in the AT&T network - they are still grooming some port 25 connections.

This probably is not a helpful answer other than to say ... you are not alone, and you are not insane.  And I was unable to figure out an answer - so I use a VPN tunnel to get around the problem.  Route your port 25 egress needs to another place.

Message 2 of 28
Guru

I am using Thunderbird with U-verse and it works like a champ.  My email is through AOL and I am using 143 for incoming and 687 for outgoing.  I am not sure why yahoo won't work for you, but Thunderbird does work with U-verse.

If you are still having issues trhy this link http://email.about.com/od/mozillathunderbirdtips/qt/et_free_yahoo.htm

Check out the YPOPS! program they link in the beginning if nothing else works.  I haven't tried it, but it may just work.  The most current version of YPOPS! is here:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=52835

Hope this helps.

-=Scott=-

Message 3 of 28
Contributor

Ok, I figured this out on my own.  It seems the support for At&T is not weel versed in all the e-mail programs, but this will work (I had my share of frustrations as the insistence of supporting only Outlook):

In ThunderBird do the following:

View Settings for This Account

In default identity-

Your name : Your name

Email adress:  whatever-you-chose@att.net <---IMPORTANT  THIS IS THE KEY to MAKING SURE THE SMTP GATEWAY ALLOWS THE E-MAIL

Reply-To Adress: youroldemail@yourolddomain.com

This will alow you to send e-mail through the gateway and receieve responses throuhg your old e-mail addy.  It is not the most elegant, but it works!

SMTP SETTINGS:

GO TO Outbound SMTP Settings

Description: u-verse

Server name: smtp.att.yahoo.com

Port: 465

check '"use name and password"

Username:  whatever-you-chose@att.net <---IMPORTANT  THIS IS THE KEY to MAKING SURE THE SMTP GATEWAY ALLOWS THE E-MAIL

Choose SSL

Check by sending e-mail, see if it works.

I am using a Mac w/ OS X 10.4.11 PPC Dual Proc 2Ghz.

Good luck.

-J

Message 4 of 28
Scholar

Yes that is correct

BUT, do not forget you need to "register" your third party email at att.yahoo.com

before att will allow you to send the email

-you get the "Error 553"

Message 5 of 28
Contributor

I did no such thing and I have had no problems.  Thanks for the heads up.
Message 6 of 28
Employee

AT&T does not seem to think there is any software except Microsoft. It has gotten better but Many of their sites did not work well with Firefox it has gotten better.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 7 of 28
Contributor

What do you mean "register?"  Please provide steps, as this does not make any sense to me.
Message 8 of 28
Scholar

the following will assist you

http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/mail/original/manage/sendfrom-07.html

jayesel wrote:
What do you mean "register?"  Please provide steps, as this does not make any sense to me.

Message 9 of 28
Contributor

Setting Up Third Party Email Accounts with MacBook / MacMail

As I discovered after a lot of time on the Internet, with Tier 2 ATT&T support, and with Uverse support, Mac Mail and Uverse will support outgoing e-mail.  But, some settings need to be tweaked, and the e-mail below outlines what finally turned out to be the key step for us:  putting our att.net username and password into the SMTP settings (for Macs, under Mail, Preferences, Accounts Tab, Account Information Tab, drop down menu on Outgoing Mail Server, then Edit SMTP Server List).  Go to the "Advanced" Tab, and select "Password," and then put in your AT&T information.

Here were the other steps we had take prior to that:

Having Port 25 unblocked by Uverse;

Registering each third-party e-mail account through the Mail Options on the Uverse website (and deselecting the Filters option, though I don't know if that actually made a difference);

Selecting SSL Authentication.

Putting in the Password and User information turned out to be the key step.  Neither Tier 2 Support nor the paid Support Plus mentioned that, and their familiarity with Macs was only passing.

I hope this helps, because it sure took up a lot of time figuring all of this out! 

Message 10 of 28
Teacher

All you have to do is call AT&T Support and ask them to remove the SMTP block that is in place on all DSL and U-verse interent accounts.  Once the block has been removed you are able to send email on port 25 only.

Message 11 of 28
Contributor

An att chat guy, gabriel by name, set me up perfectly.  He did this first in the automated setup run by t-bird. First, for incoming the entry is pop.att.yahoo.com; for outgoing it's stmp.att.yahoo.com.  Incoming port is 995, outgoing port is 465.  Choose tls/ssl in both cases.  He let t-bird do its test. I believe he then just pushed (he had control of my PC) button in the lower right corner (he might have pressed run test with adjustments before this--sorry, I forget and you may have to try both).  He then he went manual--so this is all done in manual setup and, forgive me again, for any ambiguity, he may have done this after t-bird automatically set up the account and I found myself look at the opening window of t-bird. Highlight  the new account name in the left box of the t-bird opening window  and continue the setup by choosing "account settings" in right (big) box. Incoming and outgoing entries and ports are as I said above.  (By the way these entries are done in two separate dialogue boxes, server settings and outgoing server). He used "normal password" for both incoming(server settings) and stmp(outgoing server)-don't leave it blank.  Use ssl/tls in both.  You'll enter the correct port in each. User name (here is where I goofed) is the email address of the account you wish to import into t-bird, i.e. myaccount@att.net.  I mistakenly  thought the user name was, well, myaccount, not the whole damned email address.  One more thing, which I believe is not essential.  He made one of my att accounts the default (I import three accounts, and one of them is a gmail account, which had been the default--he changed this.)  That was it, and it worked like a charm.  I know I've been a bit long-winded, but did not want to overlook any details.  I wish I had paid closer attention to his actions.  Good luck--and remember, you can go to att-yahoo help and fire up a chat box, and then let the att CSR set up your t-bird remotely.  If you do, you must use IE (god help you, it is so ungainly).

Message 12 of 28
Contributor

OOPS!  Forgot an important detail.  You first go your email page and in the upper right corner click on options, then more options, then POPing and Forwarding.  You have make sure the POPing feature is chosen, not the forwarding.  Then click save at the top (goddammit, they make it backwards and hard).  just put the save button right  underneath the 

the last alternative, as most other sites do it.  Anyway, this enables using the client software, in my case t-bird.

Message 13 of 28
Contributor

buzmoi

Thanks so much for for going through all that trouble, I changed a couple of settings and it worked.  Never could find that second options button but guess I did not need it, triple THANKS:smileyvery-happy:

Message 14 of 28
Tutor

I have seen several posts about the sending problem under t-bird in many locations. I have tried many combinations of each of the solutions, but I have not been as fortunate as some. My t-bird client still cannot send email.

I have "verified" my non-ATT email address through my att.net account.

I currently have set each of the following in t-bird:

Email address: <user>@att.net

Reply-to: <my non-ATT address>

IMAP server settings: pop.att.yahoo.com, port: 995, username: <user>@att.net, connection: SSL/TLS

Auth: Normal password (though no place to enter a password)

SMTP server settings: smtp.att.yahoo.com, port: 465, username: <user>@att.net, connection: SSL/TLS

Auth: Normal password (though no place to enter a password)

I would be interested in hearing about any other parameters to check or change. Thanks.

Message 15 of 28
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support