The default DNS servers provided by the uverse DHCP servers are horribly slow

Highlighted
Contributor

The default DNS servers provided by the uverse DHCP servers are horribly slow

I had Uverse for about a year and had serious latency issues (1/2 second per DNS request) for the past 6 months or so.

The solution I found was to force my computer to use OpenDNS servers to override AT&T's default DNS servers.

The issue is that AT&T needs to address this since every user who has that issue has to configure manual DNS settings for every single machine they have at home, including cell phones, Wii, etc.  That's not always an option depending on the device we're talking about.

Similar issue has been posted here:

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=HSIA&message.id=8596&query.id=32180#M8596

Who do I need to contact to get this fixed by AT&T?  I have read other threads of people with a similar issue and AT&T fixed the issue for some of them.

Message 1 of 2 (31,228 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: The default DNS servers provided by the uverse DHCP servers are horribly slow

According to dnsguy at dslreports.com, it is the 2wire RG w/dns problems. A good work around is to

hard code the ATT DNS servers in your connections wired/wireless in the lower right corner of your

Windows taskbar. Double click the wired (do the wireless one next if installed and active) connection,

click 'properties', double click 'internet protocol (TCP/IP)', leave 'obtain IP address' alone. chose 'use

the following dns servers' , plug in 68.94.156.1 and then 68.94.157.1, then click 'ok', then 'ok' again

and 'close'.

For good measure bring up a command prompt and run 'ipconfig /flushdns' then press

'enter', you should be good to go w/o any page load or graphic load problems or 'looking up...' waiting

times. I had tried openDNS, but ended up having these same problems and went back to ATT DNS servers. :smileywink:

Edit:  Recently 'repaired' 2wire RGs failed the DNS tests and were sent back to 2wire to work on them

some more so they will pass and work properly.

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more
Message Edited by mibrnsurg on 09-13-2009 05:22 PM
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 2 (31,228 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.