The 9 Wide Open Wireless 2Wire RGs

Guru

The 9 Wide Open Wireless 2Wire RGs

You know I was Messing with My xbox which Has built in Wireless With all the 2011 TOS changes and that Bandwidth cap 9 Default set 2wire RGs on AT&T's network are potential Problems because if a xbox360 can see them as wide open wireless connections. Surely a cell phone, Laptop and any other device can see these wide open connections. Also couldn't there be the potential for some one to access these connections if they are clever enough to know the 2wire RG defaults to push the bandwidth CAPs for a Default RG over the allowed limits?

There are New RGs in my Area every few weeks as new AT&T ADSL and Uverse VDSL customers get Hooked up.

The 10th RG is Mine I locked it down changed the SSID from the default and the passwords But the Majority of the RGs are just setup by the techs. There all defaults. This could be very bad after May 2nd. Don't you think ?

Message 1 of 5 (474 Views)
Expert

Re: The 9 Wide Open Wireless 2Wire RGs

If anyone is out there with unsecured WEP, then they deserve what they get.

When I was installed, that's how I was set up, and all the 2Wires in my area (MOST do not change their SSIDs), are secured with passwords and WPA, a few WEPs.  I have not found any 2Wires with WPA2 (except mine).

But others could have changed their SSIDs like you and me, so we will never know they are UV people, too. Smiley Happy

I predict a lot of people will be using more free Wi-Fi at hotspots (some serviced by ATT), which is a lot of what started this whole capping thing in the first place, IMO. Smiley Sad

And yes, I do think some will be looking for unsecured connections for surfing.

Message 2 of 5 (467 Views)
Guru

Yeah there Default locked down but My xbox360 can Negotiate around the defaults and It can do it automatically too.

Example: I was connected to my Happy little Home network something Happened The xbox 360 in the background switched to the closes Wireless Network of my Neighbors by it's self with out me knowing it till I backed out of the game I was playing. I saw it found the better connection at that time.

With the Bandwidth caps rules in place I would of blew up my neighbors allowance They might of gotten slapped with that 10 dollar fee if it continued.

This is just one for the seneros I'm worried about.

Message 3 of 5 (460 Views)
Expert

Is your Xbox locked down?

Message 4 of 5 (457 Views)
Highlighted
Guru

spd2demun wrote:

Is your Xbox locked down?

As far as Behind my Home network the RG as far as I know it is

Message 5 of 5 (451 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.