Posted May 1, 2011
1:55:13 PM
View profile
Temporarily DIsconnect Wireless Service

Hi,

I need some help with temporarily disconnecting my wireless Internet. I need to be able to disconnect the wireless, so I can plug the ethernet cord directly into my laptop to use the Internet. However, I have no idea how to do this! I only need to do this for a few minutes to run a test on my system, then I need to reconnect.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

I need some help with temporarily disconnecting my wireless Internet. I need to be able to disconnect the wireless, so I can plug the ethernet cord directly into my laptop to use the Internet. However, I have no idea how to do this! I only need to do this for a few minutes to run a test on my system, then I need to reconnect.

Thanks in advance.

Temporarily DIsconnect Wireless Service

7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
View all replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2011 2:04:49 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

If you really need to turn it off you use the address of the RG ( http://192.168.1.254/). You also turn it on at the same window,

If you turn it off, you need a wired connection to turn it back on.

I think you need to  pick ethernet (instead of wireless) on your computer for net access. This lets you do your wired test without turning off the wireless. You should make yourself comfortable with this before you turn off the wireless.

On the RG window click the wireless icon then you can toggle between enabled/disabled over your wired connection.

If you really need to turn it off you use the address of the RG ( http://192.168.1.254/). You also turn it on at the same window,

If you turn it off, you need a wired connection to turn it back on.

I think you need to  pick ethernet (instead of wireless) on your computer for net access. This lets you do your wired test without turning off the wireless. You should make yourself comfortable with this before you turn off the wireless.

On the RG window click the wireless icon then you can toggle between enabled/disabled over your wired connection.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Temporarily DIsconnect Wireless Service

2 of 8 (1,282 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2011 9:32:49 PM
(0)
Expert

I think most of the newer Wireless cards have a setting that lets the Wireless automatically turn off if Ethernet is detected.

Or your keyboard may have a hotkey button for turning off the Wireless signal.

You should also be able to click on your Wireless connection in your tray, select your Wi-Fi network and hit the Disconnect button.

I think most of the newer Wireless cards have a setting that lets the Wireless automatically turn off if Ethernet is detected.

Or your keyboard may have a hotkey button for turning off the Wireless signal.

You should also be able to click on your Wireless connection in your tray, select your Wi-Fi network and hit the Disconnect button.

3 of 8 (1,259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2011 9:34:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by oz_1 on May 2, 2011 at 9:52:51 AM

Soory about this post did not have compatibility turned on . As with what Speed said most newer models will auti connect.

Soory about this post did not have compatibility turned on . As with what Speed said most newer models will auti connect.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
4 of 8 (1,236 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2011 9:50:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Be sure to update drivers just got one on my HP not to long ago.

Be sure to update drivers just got one on my HP not to long ago.

5 of 8 (1,233 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2011 6:37:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

Ok, I thought I was just a tad bit computer literate, but apparently not. What's the hot tray?

I want to disable the wireless, connect to the modem via the ethernet cord, then reconnect the wireless.

Your explanation sounded really easy, but I'm still lost!

Thanks for your help.

Ok, I thought I was just a tad bit computer literate, but apparently not. What's the hot tray?

I want to disable the wireless, connect to the modem via the ethernet cord, then reconnect the wireless.

Your explanation sounded really easy, but I'm still lost!

Thanks for your help.

6 of 8 (1,211 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2011 6:54:30 PM
(0)
Contributor

I figured it out!!!!!! Thanks everyone!

I figured it out!!!!!! Thanks everyone!