Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 1, 2009
9:53:31 PM
Tech installed a new RG - how to set up my static IP Address on the RG?

I have only had my u-verse for about 1/2 a month, and don't know the ins and outs of the system yet, but I do know it has not been very reliable, and the techs are not very knowledgable about setting up static IP addresses yet, so I need to figure out how myself.

How do I go into the 3800hgv-b RG and set up my external static IP address so my I can start receiving my mail on my mail server at my home?

Rocktaxi

I have only had my u-verse for about 1/2 a month, and don't know the ins and outs of the system yet, but I do know it has not been very reliable, and the techs are not very knowledgable about setting up static IP addresses yet, so I need to figure out how myself.

How do I go into the 3800hgv-b RG and set up my external static IP address so my I can start receiving my mail on my mail server at my home?

Rocktaxi

Tech installed a new RG - how to set up my static IP Address on the RG?

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2009 10:32:53 PM
(0)
Expert

Did you purchase a block of 8 (5 useable) static IP addresses?  As far as I know, AT&T only will sell them in a block of 8, not a single one.

Did you purchase a block of 8 (5 useable) static IP addresses?  As far as I know, AT&T only will sell them in a block of 8, not a single one.

Re: Tech installed a new RG - how to set up my static IP Address on the RG?

2 of 7 (732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2009 10:35:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yes, I bought a block, but am only using one externally for my server.  It was all set up and working until yesterday....now when I look on the uverse RG setup screen, it appears I am not connect via my static, and I cannot ping my server, so I assume I need to set the RG to connect via my static so I can get mail and web site hosting up again.

Ed

Message Edited by Rocktaxi on 12-01-2009 10:37 PM

Yes, I bought a block, but am only using one externally for my server.  It was all set up and working until yesterday....now when I look on the uverse RG setup screen, it appears I am not connect via my static, and I cannot ping my server, so I assume I need to set the RG to connect via my static so I can get mail and web site hosting up again.

Ed

Message Edited by Rocktaxi on 12-01-2009 10:37 PM

3 of 7 (732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2009 10:47:45 PM
(0)
Expert

Well, the external IP address on the RG isn't configurable by you, that's assigned by AT&T.  To assign one of your IP addresses to your server:

1. Navigate to your RG's configuration page at http://192.168.1.254.
  2. Go to Home Network -> Advanced Settings.
  3. Check the box to Enable the public routed subinterface.
  4. Your block of 8 IP addresses is set up like this: The first address in the block is not usable (reserved for network).  The last address in the block is not usable (reserved for broadcast).  Now you need one address of the remaining 6 (usually the 2nd address in the block) to assign to the RG.  Type this address into the router address field.
  5. Use 255.255.255.248 for the subnet mask.
  6. Click the Save button.
  7. Set up your server to use DHCP, it will get a private IP address in the 192.168.1.x range.
  8. Go back to the RG configuration page, Home Network -> Advanced Settings, and click on the Edit Address Allocation settings button.
  9. Find your device in the list.  Under the Address allocation pull-down menu, select "Public (Select WAN IP Mapping)".
  10. Under the WAN IP Mapping pull-down menu, select one of the 5 remaining IP addresses that you want to use for your server.
  11. (Optional) uncheck the Firewall Protection checkbox if you want the server to be wide open to the internet.  Leave it checked to have full firewall protection (you will have to go into the firewall configuration and allow certain applications or ports if you leave it checked).
  12. Click the Save button at the bottom.
  13. Reboot the server, it will receive the IP from your public block via DHCP.

If you left the Firewall Protection checkbox checked, now you will have to go into the firewall configuration to allow your application (SMTP/Mail).

Well, the external IP address on the RG isn't configurable by you, that's assigned by AT&T.  To assign one of your IP addresses to your server:

1. Navigate to your RG's configuration page at http://192.168.1.254.
  2. Go to Home Network -> Advanced Settings.
  3. Check the box to Enable the public routed subinterface.
  4. Your block of 8 IP addresses is set up like this: The first address in the block is not usable (reserved for network).  The last address in the block is not usable (reserved for broadcast).  Now you need one address of the remaining 6 (usually the 2nd address in the block) to assign to the RG.  Type this address into the router address field.
  5. Use 255.255.255.248 for the subnet mask.
  6. Click the Save button.
  7. Set up your server to use DHCP, it will get a private IP address in the 192.168.1.x range.
  8. Go back to the RG configuration page, Home Network -> Advanced Settings, and click on the Edit Address Allocation settings button.
  9. Find your device in the list.  Under the Address allocation pull-down menu, select "Public (Select WAN IP Mapping)".
  10. Under the WAN IP Mapping pull-down menu, select one of the 5 remaining IP addresses that you want to use for your server.
  11. (Optional) uncheck the Firewall Protection checkbox if you want the server to be wide open to the internet.  Leave it checked to have full firewall protection (you will have to go into the firewall configuration and allow certain applications or ports if you leave it checked).
  12. Click the Save button at the bottom.
  13. Reboot the server, it will receive the IP from your public block via DHCP.

If you left the Firewall Protection checkbox checked, now you will have to go into the firewall configuration to allow your application (SMTP/Mail).

4 of 7 (732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 1, 2009 10:59:40 PM
(0)
Tutor

That worked!  Email is now coming in, web site is back up.....you are awesome!

Thanks a million for your support!

Ed

That worked!  Email is now coming in, web site is back up.....you are awesome!

Thanks a million for your support!

Ed

5 of 7 (732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2010 12:08:06 PM
(0)
Tutor
I am having issues again, and now the software looks different. Where do I find these functions on the same rg now?
I am having issues again, and now the software looks different. Where do I find these functions on the same rg now?

6 of 7 (732 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 2, 2010 2:51:45 PM
(0)
Expert

Under the new RG firmware, the place where you enable the public routed subinterface in step 3 is:

Settings -> Broadband -> Link Configuration, where it says "Add Additional Network"

The IP Address Allocation page used in step 8 is:

Settings -> LAN -> IP Address Allocation

The firewall protection setting is no longer a checkbox, it is now a pull-down menu that has Enabled or Disabled.

Under the new RG firmware, the place where you enable the public routed subinterface in step 3 is:

Settings -> Broadband -> Link Configuration, where it says "Add Additional Network"

The IP Address Allocation page used in step 8 is:

Settings -> LAN -> IP Address Allocation

The firewall protection setting is no longer a checkbox, it is now a pull-down menu that has Enabled or Disabled.

7 of 7 (732 Views)