Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Aug 23, 2010
11:47:31 PM
Tearing my hair over "red light" outages

I've had the U-verse Internet, Voice and TV package for about 18 months, and for the last few weeks, I've been frustrated by intermittent “red light” outages on my network connection.  The Broadband Light on the RG will turn red for about 10 seconds then my network will go down for about 2 or 3 minutes, freezing or pixellating my TV, dropping any ongoing phone calls and halting my PC's internet connection.   I've called Support, viewed the recommended videos on Ch. 411, and tried the various fixes advised such as multiple resets and power cycles.  Each time, the brief outages go away for a day or two, but then come back occurring as often as a dozen times an hour.  It's especially annoying to have my phone conversations cut off by the dropped access.

Any suggestions?  (before I go bald!)

I've had the U-verse Internet, Voice and TV package for about 18 months, and for the last few weeks, I've been frustrated by intermittent “red light” outages on my network connection.  The Broadband Light on the RG will turn red for about 10 seconds then my network will go down for about 2 or 3 minutes, freezing or pixellating my TV, dropping any ongoing phone calls and halting my PC's internet connection.   I've called Support, viewed the recommended videos on Ch. 411, and tried the various fixes advised such as multiple resets and power cycles.  Each time, the brief outages go away for a day or two, but then come back occurring as often as a dozen times an hour.  It's especially annoying to have my phone conversations cut off by the dropped access.

Any suggestions?  (before I go bald!)

Tearing my hair over "red light" outages

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2010 7:06:06 AM
(0)
Professor

Have you had a tech out yet to check your lines and connections?

Have you had a tech out yet to check your lines and connections?

Re: Tearing my hair over "red light" outages

2 of 11 (1,029 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2010 7:52:45 AM
(0)
Mentor

You need a tech, either you have a bad RG or line

You need a tech, either you have a bad RG or line

3 of 11 (1,029 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2010 9:42:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Looks like you may have a bad splitter in your installation.  The same thing happened to me late last year.  Call ts using the number in my sig and request a tech be sent out.

Looks like you may have a bad splitter in your installation.  The same thing happened to me late last year.  Call ts using the number in my sig and request a tech be sent out.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 11 (1,029 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2010 10:05:31 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I had a similar issue when AT&T linesman (not U-Verse specific) were doing a major wiring overhaul in our area.  They had mis-configured some wiring and our twisted pair "got twisted" with another customers wires.  It tried to work but finally got so many errors that the RG went "flashing red.'  Once contacted, a linesman had it going in less than an hour.

I had a similar issue when AT&T linesman (not U-Verse specific) were doing a major wiring overhaul in our area.  They had mis-configured some wiring and our twisted pair "got twisted" with another customers wires.  It tried to work but finally got so many errors that the RG went "flashing red.'  Once contacted, a linesman had it going in less than an hour.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 11 (1,029 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2010 7:25:35 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks for the suggestions, also to RCSMG for the tech support number.  I'm having trouble getting my phone connection to last long enough to get through to a human -- my connections last less than 5 min. before dropping.  (I'd use my cell but my home area has a signal strength that's almost nil -- I'll have to remember to call tomorrow when I'm out of the house.)

It could be that they're doing some wiring overhaul in this area but I doubt if it's anything big deal.  Quite a few AT&T employees live in my area (I live just 2 miles from AT&T's huge San Ramon campus), but I haven't heard about local system upgrades from my neighbors who work for AT&T.  I have a feeling it probably is my RG so hopefully I can get a tech out to check it.

Thanks for the suggestions, also to RCSMG for the tech support number.  I'm having trouble getting my phone connection to last long enough to get through to a human -- my connections last less than 5 min. before dropping.  (I'd use my cell but my home area has a signal strength that's almost nil -- I'll have to remember to call tomorrow when I'm out of the house.)

It could be that they're doing some wiring overhaul in this area but I doubt if it's anything big deal.  Quite a few AT&T employees live in my area (I live just 2 miles from AT&T's huge San Ramon campus), but I haven't heard about local system upgrades from my neighbors who work for AT&T.  I have a feeling it probably is my RG so hopefully I can get a tech out to check it.

6 of 11 (1,029 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 24, 2010 7:44:35 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Contact David by clicking on the hyper link in my signature.  Send him an email with all of your info and he or a member of his staff will be in touch with you.

Contact David by clicking on the hyper link in my signature.  Send him an email with all of your info and he or a member of his staff will be in touch with you.

7 of 11 (1,029 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 25, 2010 3:29:22 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks very much for the offer, but I finally managed to get through to Tech Support this morning during a period when the network was holding steady, and have scheduled a technician to make an onsite inspection Thursday afternoon.  I'll post the results and hopefully the solution.  I appreciate the help!

Thanks very much for the offer, but I finally managed to get through to Tech Support this morning during a period when the network was holding steady, and have scheduled a technician to make an onsite inspection Thursday afternoon.  I'll post the results and hopefully the solution.  I appreciate the help!

8 of 11 (1,029 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2010 7:01:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Also ask the tech to check the pair between the vrad an your home.  Mine was replaced.  Although it turned out that I had been upgraded to a higher profile and my service couldn't handle it initially.  When my service was set at the lower profile all of the freezing and disconnects went away.

Also ask the tech to check the pair between the vrad an your home.  Mine was replaced.  Although it turned out that I had been upgraded to a higher profile and my service couldn't handle it initially.  When my service was set at the lower profile all of the freezing and disconnects went away.

9 of 11 (1,029 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 26, 2010 10:31:10 PM
(0)
Tutor

The scheduled U-verse technician, Rick, came by my house this afternoon, checked everything out and replaced the filter and the diplexer and tightened a few loose connections.  So far this evening, I've had a constant signal to the RG without any interruptions or outages.  The access to the FTTN VRAD seems to be OK, but he did warn me about the 37 year old coax cables in my home which eventually become old and brittle.  I may have to replace those in the future.

So thanks Rick, and thank you too RCSMG and everyone else who offered helpful suggestions here.  I'll keep my fingers crossed and hopefully it will be smooth sailing from now on.  I've enjoyed U-verse in the 18 months I've had it, and would hate to have to go back to Comcast!

The scheduled U-verse technician, Rick, came by my house this afternoon, checked everything out and replaced the filter and the diplexer and tightened a few loose connections.  So far this evening, I've had a constant signal to the RG without any interruptions or outages.  The access to the FTTN VRAD seems to be OK, but he did warn me about the 37 year old coax cables in my home which eventually become old and brittle.  I may have to replace those in the future.

So thanks Rick, and thank you too RCSMG and everyone else who offered helpful suggestions here.  I'll keep my fingers crossed and hopefully it will be smooth sailing from now on.  I've enjoyed U-verse in the 18 months I've had it, and would hate to have to go back to Comcast!

10 of 11 (1,029 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 27, 2010 2:08:58 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Your welcome.  Hopefully all of your issues are behind you.  Enjoy.

Your welcome.  Hopefully all of your issues are behind you.  Enjoy.

11 of 11 (382 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments