Helpful Links

TV turning off

Highlighted
Tutor

TV turning off

My 2nd tv just turns off by itself since getting uverse. All tech support says, is that its the tv. ( wich is less than 2 yrs old ) Has this happened to anyone else?
Message 1 of 27
Expert

Re: TV turning off

A number of possibilities, is it random or when you do something w/ATT remote?  Is it overheating and shutting down or can you turn it back on immediately?  Wonder if it's momentarily losing power, but not long enough to shut other things down?  Maybe listing when and what's happening, if at all, would help w/diagnosis. :smileysurprised:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO

Message Edited by mibrnsurg on 06-09-2009 02:28 PM
Message 2 of 27
Master

TMcHenry wrote:
My 2nd tv just turns off by itself since getting uverse. All tech support says, is that its the tv. ( wich is less than 2 yrs old ) Has this happened to anyone else?

the stb/dvr left unattended (used ) power off after 6 to 8 hrs   fwiw  (energy star rating)

after that , the tv senses no signal and also powers down ?? 

randy

Message 3 of 27
Tutor

I should have been a little more clear. It happens at different times, Seconds after i turn them both on, or even an hour after. It makes no rhym or reason. I mean the slight chance the tv is not compatible. But that means a few more $$ that i would rather not spend. I never had this issue with DirectTV on that set. Only Uverse. Also doubt im having a power surge on just that outlet and not the dvr reciever..

Still perplexed

Message 4 of 27
Expert

How is the tv connected to the stb?  It shouldn't matter but with this service almost anything is possible.
Message 5 of 27
Tutor

with a coax cable.. and that has been changed by the tech.
Message 6 of 27
Expert

Have you tried connecting the tv to an ac outlet in a different room?
Message 7 of 27
Guru

What type of TV? If it's a DLP, the lamp protection circuit will cause power-offs. Or it could be RFI.
Message 8 of 27
Expert

How is the TV connected to the DVR/STB (not how it is connected to the RG), HDMI, component, s-video, composite or coax? :smileysurprised:

Chris

YRMV IMHO

Message 9 of 27
Tutor

The main TV is connected via HDMI it is a HDTV the TV in question is not HD. It is just a normal old fashion tv. Sorry not too savy with a lot of the terminology...
Message 10 of 27
Expert

If the TV w/the problem is somewhat old, it might be having power supply problems.  As it seems to be shutting off at totally odd times, the hallmark of a short or bad component in the power supply. :smileywink:

Chris

YRMV IMHO

Message 11 of 27
Expert

:smileyvery-happy:  How true!  UV is its own species!

RCSMG wrote:
How is the tv connected to the stb?  It shouldn't matter but with this service almost anything is possible.

Message 12 of 27
Expert

umm hmm
Message 13 of 27
Professor

TMcHenry wrote:

We are having exactly the same issue.  TV is less than two years old also.  Just seems to shut down on it's own once in awhile.  Can't figure it out myself.

Message 14 of 27
Professor

Just happened again, and I have a DLP, but just changed the bulb.  It was doing it before the new bulb, and still doing it after the new bulb.  I don't think it has anything to do with the TV personally, but I also don't know what could be causing it on the UV side either, so I don't know what to blame, but it's very strange.  Doesn't make sense.  Just no rhyme nor reason that I understand. 
Message 15 of 27
Share this topic
Announcements

Learn how connect your AT&T holiday gifts at Unwrapped on Wednesday, 12/27 (1-4pm ET)!

Additional Support