Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted Jun 9, 2009
11:07:31 AM
TV turning off
My 2nd tv just turns off by itself since getting uverse. All tech support says, is that its the tv. ( wich is less than 2 yrs old ) Has this happened to anyone else?
My 2nd tv just turns off by itself since getting uverse. All tech support says, is that its the tv. ( wich is less than 2 yrs old ) Has this happened to anyone else?

TV turning off

26 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(26)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2009 11:27:57 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

A number of possibilities, is it random or when you do something w/ATT remote?  Is it overheating and shutting down or can you turn it back on immediately?  Wonder if it's momentarily losing power, but not long enough to shut other things down?  Maybe listing when and what's happening, if at all, would help w/diagnosis. :smileysurprised:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO

Message Edited by mibrnsurg on 06-09-2009 02:28 PM

A number of possibilities, is it random or when you do something w/ATT remote?  Is it overheating and shutting down or can you turn it back on immediately?  Wonder if it's momentarily losing power, but not long enough to shut other things down?  Maybe listing when and what's happening, if at all, would help w/diagnosis. :smileysurprised:

Chris

YRMV IMHO

Message Edited by mibrnsurg on 06-09-2009 02:28 PM
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: TV turning off

2 of 27 (721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2009 11:49:31 AM
(0)
Master

TMcHenry wrote:

the stb/dvr left unattended (used ) power off after 6 to 8 hrs   fwiw  (energy star rating)

after that , the tv senses no signal and also powers down ?? 

randy

TMcHenry wrote:

the stb/dvr left unattended (used ) power off after 6 to 8 hrs   fwiw  (energy star rating)

after that , the tv senses no signal and also powers down ?? 

randy

3 of 27 (721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2009 12:54:26 PM
(0)
Tutor

I should have been a little more clear. It happens at different times, Seconds after i turn them both on, or even an hour after. It makes no rhym or reason. I mean the slight chance the tv is not compatible. But that means a few more $$ that i would rather not spend. I never had this issue with DirectTV on that set. Only Uverse. Also doubt im having a power surge on just that outlet and not the dvr reciever..

Still perplexed

I should have been a little more clear. It happens at different times, Seconds after i turn them both on, or even an hour after. It makes no rhym or reason. I mean the slight chance the tv is not compatible. But that means a few more $$ that i would rather not spend. I never had this issue with DirectTV on that set. Only Uverse. Also doubt im having a power surge on just that outlet and not the dvr reciever..

Still perplexed

4 of 27 (721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2009 1:28:09 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
How is the tv connected to the stb?  It shouldn't matter but with this service almost anything is possible.
How is the tv connected to the stb?  It shouldn't matter but with this service almost anything is possible.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 27 (721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2009 2:00:56 PM
(0)
Tutor
with a coax cable.. and that has been changed by the tech.
with a coax cable.. and that has been changed by the tech.

6 of 27 (721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2009 2:16:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Have you tried connecting the tv to an ac outlet in a different room?
Have you tried connecting the tv to an ac outlet in a different room?

7 of 27 (721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 9, 2009 2:17:39 PM
(0)
Guru
What type of TV? If it's a DLP, the lamp protection circuit will cause power-offs. Or it could be RFI.
What type of TV? If it's a DLP, the lamp protection circuit will cause power-offs. Or it could be RFI.

8 of 27 (721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2009 9:04:20 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

How is the TV connected to the DVR/STB (not how it is connected to the RG), HDMI, component, s-video, composite or coax? :smileysurprised:

Chris

YRMV IMHO

How is the TV connected to the DVR/STB (not how it is connected to the RG), HDMI, component, s-video, composite or coax? :smileysurprised:

Chris

YRMV IMHO

9 of 27 (721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2009 9:35:39 AM
(0)
Tutor
The main TV is connected via HDMI it is a HDTV the TV in question is not HD. It is just a normal old fashion tv. Sorry not too savy with a lot of the terminology...
The main TV is connected via HDMI it is a HDTV the TV in question is not HD. It is just a normal old fashion tv. Sorry not too savy with a lot of the terminology...

10 of 27 (721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 10, 2009 9:46:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

If the TV w/the problem is somewhat old, it might be having power supply problems.  As it seems to be shutting off at totally odd times, the hallmark of a short or bad component in the power supply. :smileywink:

Chris

YRMV IMHO

If the TV w/the problem is somewhat old, it might be having power supply problems.  As it seems to be shutting off at totally odd times, the hallmark of a short or bad component in the power supply. :smileywink:

Chris

YRMV IMHO

11 of 27 (299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2009 4:49:57 AM
(0)
Expert
:smileyvery-happy:  How true!  UV is its own species!

RCSMG wrote:

:smileyvery-happy:  How true!  UV is its own species!

RCSMG wrote:

12 of 27 (299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2009 1:05:14 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
umm hmm
umm hmm

13 of 27 (299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2009 5:21:42 AM
(0)
Professor

TMcHenry wrote:

We are having exactly the same issue.  TV is less than two years old also.  Just seems to shut down on it's own once in awhile.  Can't figure it out myself.

TMcHenry wrote:

We are having exactly the same issue.  TV is less than two years old also.  Just seems to shut down on it's own once in awhile.  Can't figure it out myself.

14 of 27 (299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2009 8:19:02 AM
(0)
Professor
Just happened again, and I have a DLP, but just changed the bulb.  It was doing it before the new bulb, and still doing it after the new bulb.  I don't think it has anything to do with the TV personally, but I also don't know what could be causing it on the UV side either, so I don't know what to blame, but it's very strange.  Doesn't make sense.  Just no rhyme nor reason that I understand. 
Just happened again, and I have a DLP, but just changed the bulb.  It was doing it before the new bulb, and still doing it after the new bulb.  I don't think it has anything to do with the TV personally, but I also don't know what could be causing it on the UV side either, so I don't know what to blame, but it's very strange.  Doesn't make sense.  Just no rhyme nor reason that I understand. 

15 of 27 (299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2009 9:35:41 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Mark, I'd get a long enough extension cord to get power from a different circuit to see if it's that circuit or power strip/surge protector it's on that's causing a problem.  If it works okay, then you know it's something from that power source, if not then it probably is the TV. :smileywink:

Chris

YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Mark, I'd get a long enough extension cord to get power from a different circuit to see if it's that circuit or power strip/surge protector it's on that's causing a problem.  If it works okay, then you know it's something from that power source, if not then it probably is the TV. :smileywink:

Chris

YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

16 of 27 (299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2009 11:33:07 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Mark I am curious.  This shouldn't make any difference but, how is your tv connected to the stb?  I'm asking because I have seen some strange behavior between televions and set top boxes.
Mark I am curious.  This shouldn't make any difference but, how is your tv connected to the stb?  I'm asking because I have seen some strange behavior between televions and set top boxes.

17 of 27 (299 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2009 12:00:14 PM
(0)
Master

Not sure this is your problem but as an installer I am seeing a lot of power supplies die in rear projection televisions that are barely over 2 and 3

years old and its not just one brand and when you look at the swollen cheap caps you understand why. 

Not sure this is your problem but as an installer I am seeing a lot of power supplies die in rear projection televisions that are barely over 2 and 3

years old and its not just one brand and when you look at the swollen cheap caps you understand why. 

18 of 27 (300 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2009 12:22:50 PM
(0)
Professor

RCSMG wrote:

HDMI, since day one and have never had a problem with it.

RCSMG wrote:

HDMI, since day one and have never had a problem with it.

19 of 27 (300 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2009 12:25:41 PM
(0)
Professor

oz wrote:

It's under warranty so it would be worth checking out.  Is shutting off on occasion one of the symptoms of a dying power supply?  I don't know anything about them.  I always thought they were either good or bad with no in between.

oz wrote:

It's under warranty so it would be worth checking out.  Is shutting off on occasion one of the symptoms of a dying power supply?  I don't know anything about them.  I always thought they were either good or bad with no in between.

20 of 27 (300 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2009 1:01:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Mark, since your tv is still under warranty you should if you haven't already call the service department and get a repair tech out there.
Mark, since your tv is still under warranty you should if you haven't already call the service department and get a repair tech out there.

21 of 27 (462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2009 1:48:25 PM
(0)
Mentor

Mark,

I had a Pioneer rear projection that had a power supply problem. It would overheat and shut down. After the power was off for a few minutes (to cool off) it would  work again for awhile, then get hot again and shut down. It was out of warranty and nobody wanted to work on it unless I brought it in (60" Ha Ha). Finally replaced it with LCD and junked it.

Mark,

I had a Pioneer rear projection that had a power supply problem. It would overheat and shut down. After the power was off for a few minutes (to cool off) it would  work again for awhile, then get hot again and shut down. It was out of warranty and nobody wanted to work on it unless I brought it in (60" Ha Ha). Finally replaced it with LCD and junked it.

22 of 27 (462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2009 6:30:00 PM
(0)
Professor

RCSMG wrote:

Yeah I've taken care of that.  They are coming out Wednesday.  I appreciate everyone's input with this matter.  

RCSMG wrote:

Yeah I've taken care of that.  They are coming out Wednesday.  I appreciate everyone's input with this matter.  

23 of 27 (462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 11:07:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Let us know what happens.

24 of 27 (462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 30, 2009 11:10:39 AM
(0)
Professor

RCSMG wrote:

Will do.

RCSMG wrote:

Will do.

25 of 27 (462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2011 5:21:53 PM
(0)
Former Moderator
Moved to new thread.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple
in a single thread.  This will help other users find this information too!!

26 of 27 (235 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 23, 2011 5:52:01 PM
(0)
Former Moderator

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

Remember to always mark items that you find useful as "Accepted Solutions”, you can even mark multiple

I would like to thank everyone for taking the time to post your comments and opinions related to this topic. This topic has been thoroughly discussed and will now be closed.

27 of 27 (237 Views)