Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Highlighted
Posted May 10, 2009
10:21:05 PM
Sycing Problems and Audio Drop out Solution!

Improperly grounded U-Verse equipment causes syncing issues, as wel, as incorrect settings.

Grounding: The NID should be grounded to a ground rod, not the Power box. If you previously had Comcast and a ground to the Power Mast, Cut it off and disssociate your U-Verse installation from it. U-Verse is succeptable to RF interference, and power proximity intereference. So, use a ground rod!

Settings: Broadband Advanced Settings: Take off automatic and set to DSL, and Coax or RJ11. Save and Update (Update reboots); Date and time settings...check them on reboot.

Component, Composite, Toslink, HDMI.....C'mon! Component Video and Composite Audio is trouble free. If you are using HDMI...hook up the composite audio...audio dropouts go away.

99% of all U-Verse problems are cable, cable ends, and GROUNDING ERRORS! A water pipe, vent, power box...are NOT as good as a stand alone GROUND ROD! I should know...I am an electrician! The problems I have seen with U-Verse wer due to the condition of the power supply and grounding of the house. U-Verse is tried and tested, your house probably is not up to Par!

Before installing U-Verse; Call an electritian and have them go over you house. YOU WILL BE AMAZED how many of you have faulty grounds and improvised grounds.

ATT has done the work for U-Verse, you have to meet them half way and get your house electrically fit.

I do not work for ATT or any affiliate, I just see a theme here and it is really due to crappy grounding, bad cable, bad cable ends or the wire being way too long on the cable connector, RF interference, and Power interference (ie; dishwasher on U-Verse circuit) VDSL is not a tractor plowing the digital Highway, it is a Gulf Jet in turbulent air....make it easy for your U-Verse Prem tech's....get your house in order!

Comcast grounds to power masts (box)...WORST GROUND could possibly use!

Improperly grounded U-Verse equipment causes syncing issues, as wel, as incorrect settings.

Grounding: The NID should be grounded to a ground rod, not the Power box. If you previously had Comcast and a ground to the Power Mast, Cut it off and disssociate your U-Verse installation from it. U-Verse is succeptable to RF interference, and power proximity intereference. So, use a ground rod!

Settings: Broadband Advanced Settings: Take off automatic and set to DSL, and Coax or RJ11. Save and Update (Update reboots); Date and time settings...check them on reboot.

Component, Composite, Toslink, HDMI.....C'mon! Component Video and Composite Audio is trouble free. If you are using HDMI...hook up the composite audio...audio dropouts go away.

99% of all U-Verse problems are cable, cable ends, and GROUNDING ERRORS! A water pipe, vent, power box...are NOT as good as a stand alone GROUND ROD! I should know...I am an electrician! The problems I have seen with U-Verse wer due to the condition of the power supply and grounding of the house. U-Verse is tried and tested, your house probably is not up to Par!

Before installing U-Verse; Call an electritian and have them go over you house. YOU WILL BE AMAZED how many of you have faulty grounds and improvised grounds.

ATT has done the work for U-Verse, you have to meet them half way and get your house electrically fit.

I do not work for ATT or any affiliate, I just see a theme here and it is really due to crappy grounding, bad cable, bad cable ends or the wire being way too long on the cable connector, RF interference, and Power interference (ie; dishwasher on U-Verse circuit) VDSL is not a tractor plowing the digital Highway, it is a Gulf Jet in turbulent air....make it easy for your U-Verse Prem tech's....get your house in order!

Comcast grounds to power masts (box)...WORST GROUND could possibly use!

Sycing Problems and Audio Drop out Solution!

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2009 12:14:36 AM
(0)
Guru

With due respect, the well known audio drop problem is an issue between the AV receiver and the set top box.    With the problem most of us are referring to, you can back the DVR up and play over the same section of audio it will play without distortion.   So the RG and the link between the RG and STB can be perfectly fine and you will still get the drops.   A very long time ago someone reported that this was a Microsoft bug due to be fixed this year, so with any luck a fix for it will come down with the next THDVR update. 

Ground loop problems can certainly cause weird issues, but optical audio should be relatively unaffected.   That's one of the perks of an optical connection!

With due respect, the well known audio drop problem is an issue between the AV receiver and the set top box.    With the problem most of us are referring to, you can back the DVR up and play over the same section of audio it will play without distortion.   So the RG and the link between the RG and STB can be perfectly fine and you will still get the drops.   A very long time ago someone reported that this was a Microsoft bug due to be fixed this year, so with any luck a fix for it will come down with the next THDVR update. 

Ground loop problems can certainly cause weird issues, but optical audio should be relatively unaffected.   That's one of the perks of an optical connection!

Re: Sycing Problems and Audio Drop out Solution!

2 of 10 (3,807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2009 5:06:41 AM
(0)
Mentor
Of course the audio dropouts go away, with composite audio....it's stereo, not surround.  And, I don't believe anyone is having problems with audio dropouts through hdmi as that is stereo as well.  No surround, through hdmi, on uverse.
Message Edited by Strontium on 05-11-2009 07:07 AM
Of course the audio dropouts go away, with composite audio....it's stereo, not surround.  And, I don't believe anyone is having problems with audio dropouts through hdmi as that is stereo as well.  No surround, through hdmi, on uverse.
Message Edited by Strontium on 05-11-2009 07:07 AM

3 of 10 (3,807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 11, 2009 2:55:33 PM
(0)
Scholar
Yet there are those of us using optical 5.1 on multiple stereo systems in our home with no audio dropout either.  I have yet to hear any audio dropout on either of my two stereo systems hooked up with optical.  Two different brand receivers, with different brand monitors, and different model surge protectors. 
Yet there are those of us using optical 5.1 on multiple stereo systems in our home with no audio dropout either.  I have yet to hear any audio dropout on either of my two stereo systems hooked up with optical.  Two different brand receivers, with different brand monitors, and different model surge protectors. 

4 of 10 (3,807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 12, 2009 8:47:10 AM
(0)
Mentor

donatom3 wrote:

Lucky you!

donatom3 wrote:

Lucky you!

5 of 10 (3,807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 9, 2009 5:17:18 PM
(0)
Mentor

Well, I've been searching through the audio drop out issues posted and just read this one... I think it is incorrect.

My DVR is connected via HDMI directly to my Sony Bravia HDTV - i.e. no a/v surround sound system, and I still have continuous problems with audio stuttering and dropping even with the DVR set to "Stereo" on both live and recorded programming on both HD and SD channels. Does not happen with analog audio cables and did not happen with my previous Sony SDTV. I had my new HDTV for a few months prior to getting HD services, and I believe that I did not have the problem prior to getting HD services added to my Uverse account, but I cannot be sure.

I am hoping that somewhere along the way - when AT&T figures out and fixes the problem with 5.1, that this will also be fixed... One can always hope!

Well, I've been searching through the audio drop out issues posted and just read this one... I think it is incorrect.

My DVR is connected via HDMI directly to my Sony Bravia HDTV - i.e. no a/v surround sound system, and I still have continuous problems with audio stuttering and dropping even with the DVR set to "Stereo" on both live and recorded programming on both HD and SD channels. Does not happen with analog audio cables and did not happen with my previous Sony SDTV. I had my new HDTV for a few months prior to getting HD services, and I believe that I did not have the problem prior to getting HD services added to my Uverse account, but I cannot be sure.

I am hoping that somewhere along the way - when AT&T figures out and fixes the problem with 5.1, that this will also be fixed... One can always hope!

6 of 10 (3,807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2009 12:27:59 PM
(0)
Mentor

Strontium says:  No surround, through hdmi, on uverse.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Not so. 

I've been getting 5.1 surround sound with HDMI since July 09' when ATT rolled out their update. The audio drops went away for about 2 weeks also, but they're back.

Strontium says:  No surround, through hdmi, on uverse.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Not so. 

I've been getting 5.1 surround sound with HDMI since July 09' when ATT rolled out their update. The audio drops went away for about 2 weeks also, but they're back.

7 of 10 (3,807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 10, 2009 6:43:54 PM
(0)
Scholar

Somone bumped an old thread which should now be left to die.

The ongoing discussion regarding the audio drops is here (and it has nothing to do with bonding or grounding).

Message Edited by Towen7 on 10-10-2009 06:47 PM

Somone bumped an old thread which should now be left to die.

The ongoing discussion regarding the audio drops is here (and it has nothing to do with bonding or grounding).

Message Edited by Towen7 on 10-10-2009 06:47 PM

8 of 10 (3,807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 31, 2010 12:30:34 PM
(0)
Contributor

You are kidding...right?  I have had audio drop out problems since u-verse was installed in April 2010.  I DID NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM WITH COX CABLE.  I have digital surround sound.  If you have ever had true digital surround sound you will never go back!!!  Digital surround was just fine with Cox.  It requires either an optical audio cable or HDMI cable... not the component and composite cables you are referring to that are "reliable".  They may be reliable but the sound quality is NOTHING near what you can have with digital surround.  The simple fact is: Uverse is an inferior product.  My house is properly grounded.  The Uverse techs indicated it's probably a compatibility issue with my surround sound receiver and the Uverse box.  So... I bought a new receiver.  Nothing has changed.  I even removed the optical cord and installed an HDMI cord.  No change.  The techs tell me they have no idea but will continue to research.  I REFUSE TO HOOK UP WITH COMPONENT CORDS.  THE SOUND IS INFERIOR.  I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO COMPROMISE MY LISTENING ENJOYMENT BECAUSE THEY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THEIR PRODUCT... NOT ME.  AT&T should be responsible for this and correct their issue.  They've known about this problem since at least 2009 and they still can't correct it?  That is not acceptable. 

[text removed]  What a rip off.  I'm not really saving any more money with uverse than I was with Cox Cablevision.  To change my unhappiness of this product from disenchanted to down right mad, I was supposed to get $400.00 worth of rebate for getting uverse, phone, and internet.  I have heard nothing from them in the mail or e-mail regarding this rebate.  So, I checked on line and I have now found that my rebate expired on June 25, 2010.  Again, WHAT A RIP OFF.

I'm going to give uverse a chance to come to the plate and correct these issues.  If they don't, I'll drop them like a hot rock and slander their product until I die.  They will forever loose my business.  This includes my cell phone business and my company cell phone business as well.

You are kidding...right?  I have had audio drop out problems since u-verse was installed in April 2010.  I DID NOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM WITH COX CABLE.  I have digital surround sound.  If you have ever had true digital surround sound you will never go back!!!  Digital surround was just fine with Cox.  It requires either an optical audio cable or HDMI cable... not the component and composite cables you are referring to that are "reliable".  They may be reliable but the sound quality is NOTHING near what you can have with digital surround.  The simple fact is: Uverse is an inferior product.  My house is properly grounded.  The Uverse techs indicated it's probably a compatibility issue with my surround sound receiver and the Uverse box.  So... I bought a new receiver.  Nothing has changed.  I even removed the optical cord and installed an HDMI cord.  No change.  The techs tell me they have no idea but will continue to research.  I REFUSE TO HOOK UP WITH COMPONENT CORDS.  THE SOUND IS INFERIOR.  I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO COMPROMISE MY LISTENING ENJOYMENT BECAUSE THEY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH THEIR PRODUCT... NOT ME.  AT&T should be responsible for this and correct their issue.  They've known about this problem since at least 2009 and they still can't correct it?  That is not acceptable. 

[text removed]  What a rip off.  I'm not really saving any more money with uverse than I was with Cox Cablevision.  To change my unhappiness of this product from disenchanted to down right mad, I was supposed to get $400.00 worth of rebate for getting uverse, phone, and internet.  I have heard nothing from them in the mail or e-mail regarding this rebate.  So, I checked on line and I have now found that my rebate expired on June 25, 2010.  Again, WHAT A RIP OFF.

I'm going to give uverse a chance to come to the plate and correct these issues.  If they don't, I'll drop them like a hot rock and slander their product until I die.  They will forever loose my business.  This includes my cell phone business and my company cell phone business as well.

9 of 10 (3,807 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 1, 2010 9:14:17 AM
(0)
Contributor

Really!  I would like to know what city and state you live in and what brand and model of receivers you own.  Also, what model of DVR did AT&T use at your home?  I have only read a few posts of people who don't have this problem who are not connected with the dreaded component cords.

Really!  I would like to know what city and state you live in and what brand and model of receivers you own.  Also, what model of DVR did AT&T use at your home?  I have only read a few posts of people who don't have this problem who are not connected with the dreaded component cords.

10 of 10 (3,807 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments