Helpful Links

Switching from cable modem over to DSL what should I expect equipment wise?

Teacher

Switching from cable modem over to DSL what should I expect equipment wise?

Hi,

I have never used DSL and I about to switch over with a uverse bundle (I assume the internet connection will be DSL).  I currently have a coxail line coming into my office with a cable modem.  I then can plug my router to my modem and my machines to my router.  What should I expect in DSL land?  Is there a DSL modem?  What cable will they use?  Coaxial? Phone Line?

If it is a phone line, my office has a cat 5 cable, which has my phone line on it.  Do I need to upgrade my wall jack to have a data port and a phone line?

Will I be able to use my existing router (wireless) with DSL modem (or whatever device that is being used)?

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
Master

Re: Switching from cable modem over to DSL what should I expect equipment wise?

If your coax is in good shape they will use that and probably re-terminate with new ends unless you need your router for a specific like some of us

the RG will be just fine since its an all in one router wireless switch and central control for the set top boxes. But the tech needs to assess your

wiring needs. 

Message 2 of 4
Teacher

Ok. So if I'm understanding you (oz) correctly.  The technician can opt to use my existing coaxial line for the gateway connection.  That would be ideal as I didn't want to deal with spliting my phone line into a phone and data port jack.

Do you happen to know what they run from the street to the house?  The "box" that they connect to at my house (which will be new as there isn't anything for uverse currently) will allow them to go from whatever line type to coaxial?

Message 3 of 4
Master

DEVO wrote:

Ok. So if I'm understanding you (oz) correctly.  The technician can opt to use my existing coaxial line for the gateway connection.  That would be ideal as I didn't want to deal with spliting my phone line into a phone and data port jack.

Do you happen to know what they run from the street to the house?  The "box" that they connect to at my house (which will be new as there isn't anything for uverse currently) will allow them to go from whatever line type to coaxial?

fwiw
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support