Switch from "old" AT&T DSL to Uverse DSL?

Mentor

Switch from "old" AT&T DSL to Uverse DSL?

For the last 8 years I've had AT&T DSL (dry loop) running to my home where I have a home-office. It has not been trouble-free, with sporadic signal outages due to ancient underground copper wiring into the home. The current maximum bandwidth for my location is 3mbps.

Two years ago I got Uverse TV-only service, billed on my home telephone number so it is distinctly separate for business reasons.

When my DSL signal goes out, and I have the inevitable visit by the AT&T repairman, the question they ask when they open up my connection box outside is "why aren't you on Uverse DSL? It would be much faster and more stable." So I have to explain the need to keep my home billing separate from my business billing.

Now my folks at HQ say they will subsidize the DSL portion of my Uverse bill should I get Uverse DSL. I have some questions:

• I have several subaccounts set up on my current DSL under the "swbell.net" domain. Will I be able to keep these under Uverse?
  • I just bought a new DSL modem/router combo. Can this still be used in conjunction with the RG?
  • My Uverse TV service has been very stable. Can I expect the same from Uverse DSL even though it comes down the same old ratty copper lines as my dry loop DSL?

Thanks for any input.

Message 1 of 12 (19,293 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

Re: Switch from "old" AT&T DSL to Uverse DSL?

volvo945 wrote:
  • I have several subaccounts set up on my current DSL under the "swbell.net" domain. Will I be able to keep these under Uverse?
  • I just bought a new DSL modem/router combo. Can this still be used in conjunction with the RG?
  • My Uverse TV service has been very stable. Can I expect the same from Uverse DSL even though it comes down the same old ratty copper lines as my dry loop DSL?

You will be able to keep the subaccounts.  You won't have to do anything to keep them.  At least, that's how it worked for me.  If these are legacy subaccounts never moved to Yahoo, then I don't know.  If they were moved to Yahoo, you will be fine.

Your modem/router combo will make a good door stop.  Or perhaps you can sell it on eBay.

If the u-verse internet will be an addon to your u-verse television, then you should have reliable service.   My prior DSL service was so-so.  My u-verse (tv and internet) is excellent.  It doesn't really use "the same old ratty copper lines".  It only uses that part of the old lines between my residence and the nearby crossbox (and VRAD).  From there, it uses fiber the rest of the way.

Message 2 of 12 (19,293 Views)
Scholar

I had AT T DSL prior to switching to UVerse Internet.

I get a faster speed with the Uverse with the same speed packages

The Uverse internet is also more stable, My work VPN would use connecttion almost everyday around 4P with the AT & T DSL and has not happened with UVerse.

I had a router connected to by Uverse gateway so I can access to more ethernet ports

Message 3 of 12 (19,293 Views)
Expert

Enjoy. :smileyhappy:
Message 4 of 12 (19,293 Views)
Mentor

1 =  yes

2 = yes

3 = yes! :smileyhappy:

Message 5 of 12 (19,293 Views)
Employee

You may want to do it anyway I suspect in the next year or two they will drop DSL if you can get Uverse.  You lucked up in some cases they would not allow Uverse and DSL in the same residence. It may have been because of the way it was listed.

Expect a order change fee. You could add the Uverse Internet  and keep your DSL until you are sure it works for you.  If you can get a wired or wireless connection to the area you call your office you should not even need a tech visit.. 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 12 (19,293 Views)
Expert

It will be interesting to see how this works out.
Message 7 of 12 (19,293 Views)
Mentor

As I was a TV-only subscriber all this time I did not realize the RG functions as a wifi-router as well; I thought it behaved solely like a cable converter box. The tech installed it in a closet in my basement, out of sight, out of mind as they say. Now I see the functionality it has, so I've contacted it wirelessly and got into the menus. I see I have the full 25,xxx kbps bandwidth available to me coming in (I'm in the St. Louis market), so I'm definitely going to make the switch. First task is moving the RG to where my ethernet cables are terminated, rerouting the coax and making sure I have TV service. Then I make the call.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Message 8 of 12 (19,293 Views)
Mentor

Re: Switch from "old" AT&T DSL to Uverse DSL? Deal is DONE! Smooth process!

As of 2 days ago, I'm off dry-loop and on Uverse DSL. At first CSR said I didn't need tech visit, but put me on hold and comes back to say yes, I need a tech to come by. So the tech comes by, inspects my interior wiring and unplugs my ethernet cables from my old router and puts them into new router. Calls up registration web pages and boom, we're done in like 2 minutes. He acted surprised it went well, saying he really didn't need to come after all. So while he was here he's looking like he doesn't want to leave just yet, so he goes to his truck and gets a couple of new coax splitters and replaces my "old" ones saying these have been problems with Whole House DVR. I've had no problems, but what the heck.

Oh, and he wouldn't put me on new 23meg service, saying anybody more than 1,000 ft from the node is not happy. Not sure my exact distance but it can't be much more than 1,000 ft. My RG says 25,xxx kbps download connection, not sure what that really means. I'm paying for 18meg. On dslreports.com the fastest download I've clocked is 8.2meg.

Message 9 of 12 (19,293 Views)

Re: Switch from "old" AT&T DSL to Uverse DSL? Deal is DONE! Smooth process!

volvo945 wrote:

As of 2 days ago, I'm off dry-loop and on Uverse DSL. At first CSR said I didn't need tech visit, but put me on hold and comes back to say yes, I need a tech to come by. So the tech comes by, inspects my interior wiring and unplugs my ethernet cables from my old router and puts them into new router. Calls up registration web pages and boom, we're done in like 2 minutes. He acted surprised it went well, saying he really didn't need to come after all. So while he was here he's looking like he doesn't want to leave just yet, so he goes to his truck and gets a couple of new coax splitters and replaces my "old" ones saying these have been problems with Whole House DVR. I've had no problems, but what the heck.

Oh, and he wouldn't put me on new 23meg service, saying anybody more than 1,000 ft from the node is not happy. Not sure my exact distance but it can't be much more than 1,000 ft. My RG says 25,xxx kbps download connection, not sure what that really means. I'm paying for 18meg. On dslreports.com the fastest download I've clocked is 8.2meg.

Welcome to Uverse Internet!
Message 10 of 12 (19,293 Views)
Guru

volvo945 wrote:

As I was a TV-only subscriber all this time I did not realize the RG functions as a wifi-router as well; I thought it behaved solely like a cable converter box. The tech installed it in a closet in my basement, out of sight, out of mind as they say. Now I see the functionality it has, so I've contacted it wirelessly and got into the menus. I see I have the full 25,xxx kbps bandwidth available to me coming in (I'm in the St. Louis market), so I'm definitely going to make the switch. First task is moving the RG to where my ethernet cables are terminated, rerouting the coax and making sure I have TV service. Then I make the call.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Try the Media Share program. I'm thinking you already have....:smileywink:

Welcome to UV. It's a fun ride.

Message 11 of 12 (16,471 Views)

I made the switch from DSL to U-verse Internet and was able to sell my old DSL modem/wireless router box for $40 on Craigslist.  Apparently they do have some value.  
Message 12 of 12 (16,471 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.