Support for AT&T Self-Support Tool?

Contributor

Support for AT&T Self-Support Tool?

I am trying to install the desktop version of the AT&T Self-Support Tool

and am encountering problems. Where do I go to get support for that install?

I'm Installing on XP with SP3.

I'm having a problem where the install is trying to verify my AT&T member

id information.

Thanks for any help!

Message 1 of 11 (486 Views)
Teacher

Re: Support for AT&T Self-Support Tool?

Hi - I was having a lot of problems - finally a 2nd tier tech person got this problem resolved - what actually was the problem was that the home page did not have the correct link - it stated that the download was 10.5mb when it is really 19.5mb - they have updated the help site for this new download - hope this helps
Message 2 of 11 (486 Views)
Teacher

Your member id is the primary AT&T email address you have. It was created, or registered, at the time of your uverse installation. If you don't remember what it is, tech support and possibly customer service can tell you what it is, after you authenticate yourself.
Message 3 of 11 (486 Views)
Teacher

Thanks for the reply - but that was not the problem - as the old link was incorrect and not working - as I stated

a new link is available with correct size etc - and works fine - did not have anything to do with password or signin - as per

tier 2 tech person

Message 4 of 11 (486 Views)
Contributor

Thanks, ginnpr!

I followed the link again and re-downloaded the file.

You were absolutely right. The new file is much larger.

I ran the install and it installed without a hitch.

fwiw, I did initially try to download using Firefox (V3.5.5) but the download never started.

I switched to IE and the download worked fine.

Did you end up with two new icons in your tray?

One (looks like the AT&T world logo) that gives a number of options when right clicked.

And a second(looks similar but with an upside down pyramid over part of it) that just says 'Not Connected'. 

Any idea what that second one is for? 

Message 5 of 11 (486 Views)
Teacher

Glad you were able to download  - the icon with the 3 red dashes is for wireless - I don't have wireless - trying to figure out how to delete - have not found anyplace to do that as of yet

Message 6 of 11 (486 Views)
Contributor

Ahh, that makes sense.

I sometimes use wireless, but haven't lately.

I use a tool called CCleaner http://www.ccleaner.com/

that does some cleanup tasks on Windows.

It has a 'Tools' function that provides an easy way to disable the

automatic startup of programs. So I just used it to disable the tasks

that the Self-Support Tool was starting. That did away with the icons.

I figure I will only use SST occasionally, so I don't need the auto startup.

Message 7 of 11 (486 Views)
Teacher

Thanks for the reply -  I have Cleaner and did not know about that option - I was going to remove from systray through msconfig - startup - and just use from programs or desktop icon - Thanks again - Have a great Turkey day!!!!!
Message 8 of 11 (486 Views)
Teacher

I am having a problem with sending email and I downloaded the AT&T Self-Support tool and it did a number on my system.  It deleted my wireless access, it made my shut down halt and not go through the reboot process, where I had to manually shut off and restart my PC, it gave me false information and more.  I finally had to remove the tool to get control of my PC back.  Use this at your risk.

I still can't get my email to send which is another topic.  But neither this support tool or calling AT&T is any help as they no longer can do anything other than reboot the gateway which louses up any other activities going on at the time.

Message 9 of 11 (486 Views)
Contributor

You might want to try Repair on your icon in lower right taskbar, that should bring-up a message saying that "Windows is NOT managing your wireless network and explanation as to how to get Windows to do it".  I found that Self Support Tool was taking over management of my Wireless, as many of my problems with SST - although it seemed to give a better connection.  I just today removed it for other issues described here in a posting under my Id = dlc-NV.  Good Luck on your endeavors,  dave

Message 10 of 11 (486 Views)
Teacher

I had no icon to do the repair process but I plugged the wireless device in another USB port and my computer found it and installed it. 

Frank

Message 11 of 11 (131 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support