Suggested new features for total home DVR

Contributor

Suggested new features for total home DVR

I am not seeing many places to communicate to AT&T suggestions for upgraded features, but being a Tivo user for over 7 years there are definitely some things I miss with my u-verse DVR that I would like to see added

 

1. Pause Live TV when you are not recording on all boxes, not just the DVR.  Tivo has a 30 minute lag time for whatever is airing where you can pause and rewind even if you aren't recording that specific program

2. When setting up recordings, there needs to be functionality to limit the number of recordings that are scheduled - ie keep 5 or 10 episodes for programs you record daily.

3. Most importantly, the ability to transfer programs from your DVR to your PC and the convert to an iPod.  You can do this with the Tivo Desktop upgrade for $30 and it is great.... I miss it so much I might have to set up my tivo in addition to the At&T DVR.

 

Message 1 of 28
Expert

Re: Suggested new features for total home DVR

I want the DVR to read my mind and set the recording when I think of it...too much trouble having to program it myself...

Message 16 of 28
Teacher

Re: Suggested new features for total home DVR

 

It sounds like you use your DVR's in a way that the majority of people do not use their DVR's (i.e. long term archiving of programming). 

 

 


 

 

Few people have the option to store as much as I do but the real job of a good DVR is to have as many hours of the programming the users is most likely to want to watch.  If that means to have a copies of its owners favorite show then so be it. The DVR needs to select the "best" hours of all the possible ours to record. Cannels * 168 hours  is a lot of choices to make. I do not want to make a choice on every hour of programming but my DVRs do just that.

They look at the programs I watch and find and record other programs like them.

If we need to we can record 8 overlapping programs. We are recording 4 or more overlaping programs frequently.

Message 17 of 28
Expert

Re: Suggested new features for total home DVR


spd2demun wrote:

I want the DVR to read my mind and set the recording when I think of it...too much trouble having to program it myself...


 

ACK NOOOOOOO lost my mind decades ago, would never be able to program the DVR

Message 18 of 28
Expert

Re: Suggested new features for total home DVR

:smileyvery-happy:  But it could be some real interesting TV watching!

Message 19 of 28
ACE - Master

Re: Suggested new features for total home DVR


spd2demun wrote:

:smileyvery-happy:  But it could be some real interesting TV watching!


 

I've always wanted  patch cord that goes from my brain and my optic nerve to the DVR, where I could record my dreams. :smileyvery-happy:  Now that would be interesting, especially considering that you only remember a small portion, each night. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 20 of 28
Expert

Re: Suggested new features for total home DVR

LOL!

Message 21 of 28
Tutor

Re: Suggested new features for total home DVR

I could not agree more. I used to be with TWC. I had issues with them and I love having total home dvr but I miss some DVR features TWC had. For example, dvr would show you the % you had used up on recordings such as 75% and you knew to start deleting stuff as you only had 25% left capacity left. It also showed by each recording that if you didn't watch it & then delete it manually, at present rate the show would delete in 1 day or 2 days automatically by dvr or whatever so you knew what the system was going to delete to free up room and when. I then sometimes made decisions about what to watch in what order based on when it was going to be deleted by the system. Also, they had a recording log, so you could look over and see what shows it had deleted and which had been user deleted and so on. But I loved that you could  designate max # of shows to keep of a particular series. There are shows on msnbc that I record nightly (like Rachel Maddow and Countdown) but sometimes I get busy and miss a couple days. But I don't need it to keep last week's shows and would be fine if it only kept the most recent 3 for example. TWC's DVR had this feature.

Message 22 of 28

Re: Suggested new features for total home DVR

 


henryle wrote:

I could not agree more. I used to be with TWC. I had issues with them and I love having total home dvr but I miss some DVR features TWC had. For example, dvr would show you the % you had used up on recordings such as 75% and you knew to start deleting stuff as you only had 25% left capacity left. It also showed by each recording that if you didn't watch it & then delete it manually, at present rate the show would delete in 1 day or 2 days automatically by dvr or whatever so you knew what the system was going to delete to free up room and when. I then sometimes made decisions about what to watch in what order based on when it was going to be deleted by the system. Also, they had a recording log, so you could look over and see what shows it had deleted and which had been user deleted and so on. But I loved that you could  designate max # of shows to keep of a particular series. There are shows on msnbc that I record nightly (like Rachel Maddow and Countdown) but sometimes I get busy and miss a couple days. But I don't need it to keep last week's shows and would be fine if it only kept the most recent 3 for example. TWC's DVR had this feature.


 

The U-Verse DVR has it, you just have to search for it.  Under Menu, System Information, System Resources.  Buried and difficult to get to, yes, but it is there.

 

” Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports … all others are games.”- Ernest Hemingway
Message 23 of 28
Contributor

Re: Suggested new features for total home DVR

Greetings. I've had Tivo and Directv DVRs and I agree with those who cite a lack of features on the Uverse DVR. I've looked under Menu -> System...yada yada, and I can't find a setting to limit the number of shows to record. Did I miss something in your post? Thanks.

Message 24 of 28
Tutor

Re: Suggested new features for total home DVR

I would like to be able to create a playlist on my DVR. I know it's a pretty simple request and is possibly something I just missed. I remember when I had DirecTV and recorded a bunch of the same shows, I could go to the folder of whatever show I wanted to watch, press play, and all of the episodes in the folder would be played automatically back to back from oldest to newest recorded. I'd like to be able to do something like this on my Uverse DVR so I can play a folder of shows while I'm trying to go to sleep.
Message 25 of 28
Mentor

Re: Suggested new features for total home DVR

 


Krash4882 wrote:
I would like to be able to create a playlist on my DVR. I know it's a pretty simple request and is possibly something I just missed. I remember when I had DirecTV and recorded a bunch of the same shows, I could go to the folder of whatever show I wanted to watch, press play, and all of the episodes in the folder would be played automatically back to back from oldest to newest recorded. I'd like to be able to do something like this on my Uverse DVR so I can play a folder of shows while I'm trying to go to sleep.

 

That is a really cool idea. I would definitely use that feature.

 

Message 26 of 28

Re: Suggested new features for total home DVR

I can't resist, but this post hit me a bit funny because I thought why would I record stuff that puts me to sleep? 

 

But, I would like that feature because I also record a couple things that this feature would be good to use with, falling asleep notwithstanding.......

 


jumpyg wrote:

 


Krash4882 wrote:
I would like to be able to create a playlist on my DVR. I know it's a pretty simple request and is possibly something I just missed. I remember when I had DirecTV and recorded a bunch of the same shows, I could go to the folder of whatever show I wanted to watch, press play, and all of the episodes in the folder would be played automatically back to back from oldest to newest recorded. I'd like to be able to do something like this on my Uverse DVR so I can play a folder of shows while I'm trying to go to sleep.

 

That is a really cool idea. I would definitely use that feature.

 


 

 


I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinion.
Message 27 of 28
Highlighted
Tutor

Re: Suggested new features for total home DVR

Hahaha I know it sounds ridiculous. I've had a tv in my room since I was a kid and I'd always put the sleep timer on for like an hour while I tried to get to sleep. Nowadays I sometimes watch movies or put on a DVD of a tv show I like (the office, Seinfeld, how I met your mother...) and it relaxes my mind. I'd like to be able to do it with DVR shows. I'm sure my sleep problems have a lot to do with the tv being on, but if I just walk into a dark room and try to sleep I'll be wide awake for hours. I'd like the playlist or play all episodes in one folder feature for when I'm doing something and have the tv on in The background.
Message 28 of 28
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support