Stopping the 3 min lead time on recordings / 3 min post time ?????

Teacher

Stopping the 3 min lead time on recordings / 3 min post time ?????

Is there ANY WAY to eliminate the 3 min lead time on recordings???

I can not figure it out from the standard instructions.....   It'd be nice to default it - at least to only 1 min lead time.

Anyone know?

Message 1 of 16 (485 Views)
ACE - Expert

Re: Stopping the 3 min lead time on recordings / 3 min post time ?????

Nope, won't affect if one ends and another starts same time. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 16 (485 Views)
Expert

The "soft padding" is a feature that was added when phase 1 of thdvr rolled out.  At this time it is not adjustable nor can be deactivated.  A possible workaround is to do a manual recording.  And when you set the time set the start time for 3 minutes later and the end time for 3 minutes earlier.  You run the risk of missing some of the program but experimentation should enable you to get the time to close to exact if not to the exact time of the programs start.
Message Edited by RCSMG on 09-05-2009 11:55 AM
Message 3 of 16 (485 Views)
Contributor

I know there is an option, but I can't find it.

Message 4 of 16 (485 Views)
ACE - Expert

Sorry, no option to eliminate soft padding by the user.  But it will eliminate itself if a conflict would occur when recording. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-866-912-8216 for TS to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 16 (485 Views)
ACE - Master

jerome wrote:

I know there is an option, but I can't find it.

If you find it - kindly let us know. :smileywink::smileytongue:

Message 6 of 16 (485 Views)
Teacher

Or - they should program the dvr so that even though the padding is there the program starts at the real time.  You could thus only get to the beginning padding by "rewinding" from the beginning.

This is what DirecTV does.

Message 7 of 16 (485 Views)
Expert

CTJon wrote:

Or - they should program the dvr so that even though the padding is there the program starts at the real time.  You could thus only get to the beginning padding by "rewinding" from the beginning.

This is what DirecTV does.

Not sure why that feature would be needed.  The beginning padding in only 1 minute prior to the scheduled begin time.  If you do not wish to watch the extra minute, simply press the FWD button on the remote.

Message 8 of 16 (485 Views)
Expert

If you are willing to risk missing part of the beginning of a program you can always do a manual recording.  That way you could set the start time for 9:01 instead of 9:00.  And then the soft padding should cause the recording to start at 9:00.  But this is just a theory.  To eliminate the soft padding at the end of the program, set the end time at 9:57.  Soft padding should take it to 10 exactly.

Let us know if you try this.

Message 9 of 16 (485 Views)
Expert

Since the actual times to start and stop a recording are used when a manual recording is created, no soft padding is applied.

Message 10 of 16 (485 Views)
Expert

Oh, well there you go.  Problem solved.:smileyhappy:

Message 11 of 16 (272 Views)
Tutor

This "feature" needs to be handled in some way!  Remove the 3 minutes or allow it to be decreased please.

I was just informed by a male adult relative that lives with us that our recording of the Night at the Museum: Battle at the Smithsonian movie recorded on July 13 at about 11:15PM has 3 minutes of an Adult Only movie recorded immediatley before it.  I guess I'll be deleting the movie - hopefully none of the kids have tried to watch it.

Message 12 of 16 (272 Views)
Expert

MBAtarga wrote:

This "feature" needs to be handled in some way!  Remove the 3 minutes or allow it to be decreased please.

I was just informed by a male adult relative that lives with us that our recording of the Night at the Museum: Battle at the Smithsonian movie recorded on July 13 at about 11:15PM has 3 minutes of an Adult Only movie recorded immediatley before it.  I guess I'll be deleting the movie - hopefully none of the kids have tried to watch it.

The "soft padding" only adds 1 minute, not 3 minutes, to the scheduled begin time.  The soft padding also adds 2 minutes to the end of the scheduled end time.  Thus, without soft padding, 2 minutes of the adult movie still would have been recorded at the beginning of your movie.

Message 13 of 16 (272 Views)
Expert

It won't be removed, this feature is called "Soft Padding".  It is a feature that ATT added because some tv shows have begun a minute or two early, and/or run several minutes later than their scheduled times.  Sorry that you will have to delete that movie.  The only workaround I know of is to setup a manual recording.  The recording will not start until the scheduled time, and will end at the scheduled time.

Message 14 of 16 (272 Views)
Scholar

It's possible that the channel did not have the exact start time correct for your movie. It's rare for there to not be a few minutes (closing credits, previews etc...) between movies.

Soft padding is a great feature. TWC lacks the feature and usually has shows chopped at the beginning or at the end, especially previews for the next weeks episode.

Message 15 of 16 (272 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support