Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 2, 2011
5:20:52 PM
View profile
Step it up at&t...

is at&t gonna step it up with their bandwidth or are they just gonna focus on more add-ons like with the Xbox and PC, let's start seeing some quality also...

is at&t gonna step it up with their bandwidth or are they just gonna focus on more add-ons like with the Xbox and PC, let's start seeing some quality also...

Step it up at&t...

10 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(10)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 5:22:14 PM
(0)
Mentor

Does anyone think the copper/fiber optic hybrid can compete with 98% fiber that Verizon Fios has.

Does anyone think the copper/fiber optic hybrid can compete with 98% fiber that Verizon Fios has.

Re: Step it up at&t...

2 of 11 (846 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 5:33:10 PM
(0)
Guru

You seek opinions, not help, and would do better raising this question in the Lounge.

You seek opinions, not help, and would do better raising this question in the Lounge.

3 of 11 (829 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 5:37:45 PM
(0)
Scholar

ps3guy wrote:

You also have to remember that its far less costly to roll out a hybrid network. AT&T saved alot of money doing it that way, while Verizon (the last I read) was taking serious losses rolling out their all fiber network.

IMO doing a hybid network will impact their ability to offer the higher internet speeds that Verizon and the typical cable company should be able to furnish. Hopefully this will mean lower internet prices from at&t in the future. I understand some markets at&t is selling it's highest internet speed for $25/month...

ps3guy wrote:

You also have to remember that its far less costly to roll out a hybrid network. AT&T saved alot of money doing it that way, while Verizon (the last I read) was taking serious losses rolling out their all fiber network.

IMO doing a hybid network will impact their ability to offer the higher internet speeds that Verizon and the typical cable company should be able to furnish. Hopefully this will mean lower internet prices from at&t in the future. I understand some markets at&t is selling it's highest internet speed for $25/month...

4 of 11 (824 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 5:38:33 PM
(0)
Mentor

Do you think every subdivision in their territory is FTTN.  I know that a majority of them are but many out by me are FTTP.  My in-laws have FTTP.  Many subdivisions around me have FTTP.  I have FTTN and am not gonna complain.  I have had dish, directv, and comcast.  They all have their +'s and -'s but TBO my PQ is not that bad as other's here state.  Mine is just as good as DISH when I had it.  Do I like the over-compression, no, but is it doable for me, yes.  My copper is only 4 years old (newer subdivision) and I am 1000' and my U-Verse has worked very well.  My neighbor had comcast. His PQ was just the same as U-Verse.  His internet is what got him to switch, not speeds, but the fact that it was down all the time.  They want to add more streams before they ever up the bandwidth for HD.  Will they someday start added fiber?  I hope, but they have so much infrastructure in copper the corporate giant that is AT&T is gonna squeeze and use every last bit of it before they spend on updating it to fiber.  If Lucent tech keeps getting more speeds out of copper using xDSL technologies it may never come. 

http://www.optical-transmission.com/home/news/apr_2010/alcatel-lucent_announces_300mbs_industry_firs...

Do you think every subdivision in their territory is FTTN.  I know that a majority of them are but many out by me are FTTP.  My in-laws have FTTP.  Many subdivisions around me have FTTP.  I have FTTN and am not gonna complain.  I have had dish, directv, and comcast.  They all have their +'s and -'s but TBO my PQ is not that bad as other's here state.  Mine is just as good as DISH when I had it.  Do I like the over-compression, no, but is it doable for me, yes.  My copper is only 4 years old (newer subdivision) and I am 1000' and my U-Verse has worked very well.  My neighbor had comcast. His PQ was just the same as U-Verse.  His internet is what got him to switch, not speeds, but the fact that it was down all the time.  They want to add more streams before they ever up the bandwidth for HD.  Will they someday start added fiber?  I hope, but they have so much infrastructure in copper the corporate giant that is AT&T is gonna squeeze and use every last bit of it before they spend on updating it to fiber.  If Lucent tech keeps getting more speeds out of copper using xDSL technologies it may never come. 

http://www.optical-transmission.com/home/news/apr_2010/alcatel-lucent_announces_300mbs_industry_first

5 of 11 (822 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 5:51:03 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by trparky on Jan 2, 2011 at 6:00:17 PM

Some say that AT&T is slowing the deployment of new VRADs, why they are doing that... nobody knows.

Rumors are floating about that within the next three years they will be doing a system-wide FTTP/FTTH deployment.  But again, that's just rumors but it does explain why they have slowed the deployment of new VRADs.

And let's face it... as soon as the major cable companies really start deploying DOCSIS 3.0 they are going to be killing AT&T on Internet speeds alone.  Plus, with whole-home DVR being something that isn't unique to AT&T they will have to come up with something to make them look better in the eyes of the customers.

Some say that AT&T is slowing the deployment of new VRADs, why they are doing that... nobody knows.

Rumors are floating about that within the next three years they will be doing a system-wide FTTP/FTTH deployment.  But again, that's just rumors but it does explain why they have slowed the deployment of new VRADs.

And let's face it... as soon as the major cable companies really start deploying DOCSIS 3.0 they are going to be killing AT&T on Internet speeds alone.  Plus, with whole-home DVR being something that isn't unique to AT&T they will have to come up with something to make them look better in the eyes of the customers.

The uversecare@att.com team, otherwise known as the uVerse Technical Support Miracle Workers.

[ Edited ]
6 of 11 (803 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 5:58:42 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by Nuxxs on Jan 2, 2011 at 6:00:09 PM

I totally agree.  I know but that is the kind of stuff that surfaces about copper and trying to make us think it still has a future in this bandwidth war of competition.  Competition is fierce.  Look for example how DirecTV advertises you can get movies a full month before Netflix.  I would of never thought a TV provider would be competing with a DvD/Bluray/streaming rental company.  I hope in the future U-Verse goes fiber or does something so I do not have to go to comcastSmiley Surprised

I totally agree.  I know but that is the kind of stuff that surfaces about copper and trying to make us think it still has a future in this bandwidth war of competition.  Competition is fierce.  Look for example how DirecTV advertises you can get movies a full month before Netflix.  I would of never thought a TV provider would be competing with a DvD/Bluray/streaming rental company.  I hope in the future U-Verse goes fiber or does something so I do not have to go to comcastSmiley Surprised

[ Edited ]
7 of 11 (786 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 6:09:35 PM
(0)
Guru
Edited by trparky on Jan 2, 2011 at 6:09:55 PM

And let's not even begin talking about that magic phantom mode stuff.

Nearly 100 Mbps at 3000 feet and over 300 Mbps at 1000 feet.  That's great and all, but those are test results that were done on pristine copper lines in pristine lab environments.  Not the copper lines that are being used in the field.  Yep, those very copper lines that have been buried with bad/rusted/corroded/flooded connectors.  And let's not forget about those people with lines on polls in which Mr. Squirrel has turned the copper bundle into his very own personal chewing post.

They promised this kind of stuff with VDSL, again with VDSL2.  Promises, promises, promises; they never come.  Wake up AT&T and smell the fiber, that's the only way that they will be able to obtain the 150 Mbps speeds that the US government has mandated by the year 2015.

http://www.newamerica.net/publications/policy/broadband_speeds_in_perspective

And let's not even begin talking about that magic phantom mode stuff.

Nearly 100 Mbps at 3000 feet and over 300 Mbps at 1000 feet.  That's great and all, but those are test results that were done on pristine copper lines in pristine lab environments.  Not the copper lines that are being used in the field.  Yep, those very copper lines that have been buried with bad/rusted/corroded/flooded connectors.  And let's not forget about those people with lines on polls in which Mr. Squirrel has turned the copper bundle into his very own personal chewing post.

They promised this kind of stuff with VDSL, again with VDSL2.  Promises, promises, promises; they never come.  Wake up AT&T and smell the fiber, that's the only way that they will be able to obtain the 150 Mbps speeds that the US government has mandated by the year 2015.

http://www.newamerica.net/publications/policy/broadband_speeds_in_perspective

The uversecare@att.com team, otherwise known as the uVerse Technical Support Miracle Workers.

[ Edited ]
8 of 11 (761 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 6:33:37 PM
(0)
Mentor

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

ps3guy wrote:

What markets are these? they just raised internet in our area.

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

ps3guy wrote:

What markets are these? they just raised internet in our area.

9 of 11 (743 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 6:36:31 PM
(0)
Mentor

Direct TV came up with a whole home DVR and Comcast has Anyroom DVR but Comcast is pricey.

trparky wrote:

Direct TV came up with a whole home DVR and Comcast has Anyroom DVR but Comcast is pricey.

trparky wrote:

10 of 11 (739 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2011 9:07:16 PM
(0)
Mentor

Really I Love the Internet but hate the TV service but Comcast here gives you the best deals as a bundle an I only use cell phones

Really I Love the Internet but hate the TV service but Comcast here gives you the best deals as a bundle an I only use cell phones

11 of 11 (247 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments