Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jul 17, 2010
8:11:59 PM
Speed Tests

Where is the best place to perform speed tests?  I've been to quite a few and every one seems to be significantly off from the next.  Is there a website that will give you a good approximation of the DL speed. I want to find out if I am indeed getting the 12 mb that I am paying for...I had a great deal of problems getting the DSL speeds out of ATT that I was paying for. 

Bob.

Where is the best place to perform speed tests?  I've been to quite a few and every one seems to be significantly off from the next.  Is there a website that will give you a good approximation of the DL speed. I want to find out if I am indeed getting the 12 mb that I am paying for...I had a great deal of problems getting the DSL speeds out of ATT that I was paying for. 

Bob.

Speed Tests

11 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(11)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2010 8:26:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Go here and start downloading XP sp3, should hit at a download speed of 1.4MBs and say an initial download time of 4 mins:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e15... 

When you get a good rate going and nothing else is downloading, you can cancel it.  This will be better than any of those so called speed tests.  If you can't get to 1.4MBs and have XP see this thread:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23190576-Slow-speeds-after-upgrading-to-12-or-18-meg-internet-XP-OS

Good luck :smileywink:

Edit: Could also try the National Broadband Plan speed test, do both; on Ookla I got 12101, the other 11480:

http://www.broadband.gov/qualitytest/about/

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Go here and start downloading XP sp3, should hit at a download speed of 1.4MBs and say an initial download time of 4 mins:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?displaylang=en&FamilyID=5b33b5a8-5e76-401f-be08-1e1555d4f3d4 

When you get a good rate going and nothing else is downloading, you can cancel it.  This will be better than any of those so called speed tests.  If you can't get to 1.4MBs and have XP see this thread:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23190576-Slow-speeds-after-upgrading-to-12-or-18-meg-internet-XP-OS

Good luck :smileywink:

Edit: Could also try the National Broadband Plan speed test, do both; on Ookla I got 12101, the other 11480:

http://www.broadband.gov/qualitytest/about/

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Speed Tests

2 of 12 (487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 17, 2010 9:38:41 PM
(0)
Mentor

last I heard AT&T was using www.speedtest.net

3 of 12 (487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 18, 2010 10:28:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

SlowDelSol wrote:

One of the worst as they have alot of rinky dink servers that don't give a true reading, downloading from MS is going to be more accurate than speedtest.net.  Because what is speedtest.net or any other speed test doing, downloading a file and timing it and determining the speed from that. :smileywink:

Chris

SlowDelSol wrote:

One of the worst as they have alot of rinky dink servers that don't give a true reading, downloading from MS is going to be more accurate than speedtest.net.  Because what is speedtest.net or any other speed test doing, downloading a file and timing it and determining the speed from that. :smileywink:

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 12 (487 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 19, 2010 8:44:41 PM
(0)
Mentor

Just saying.... I was told by a Tier2 person, that that was what they use... There is not really a good way to check your speed, since you never know what the server you are connecting to is limiting their bandwidth to. Plus you dont know if they have a T-1, T-3, OC or what they have server wise. And since a lot of servers set pings at low priority you cant really use that either.

Just saying.... I was told by a Tier2 person, that that was what they use... There is not really a good way to check your speed, since you never know what the server you are connecting to is limiting their bandwidth to. Plus you dont know if they have a T-1, T-3, OC or what they have server wise. And since a lot of servers set pings at low priority you cant really use that either.

5 of 12 (487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2010 12:03:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

SlowDelSol wrote:

True SlowDelSol (was not a knock against you, but against speedtest,net), pretty much the reason I'll send users to download sp3 as MS servers are pretty good and IE and FF will actually tell the download speed; essentially just multiply that speed by 8 and get what speed tests would tell you. :smileywink:

Chris

SlowDelSol wrote:

True SlowDelSol (was not a knock against you, but against speedtest,net), pretty much the reason I'll send users to download sp3 as MS servers are pretty good and IE and FF will actually tell the download speed; essentially just multiply that speed by 8 and get what speed tests would tell you. :smileywink:

Chris

6 of 12 (487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2010 1:23:44 PM
(0)
Employee

mibrnsurg wrote:

SlowDelSol wrote:

Chris

This is not necesarily the best method, due to latency-based restrictions for TCP traffic.

In a nutshell, if the download service you are using uses TCP, then every "X" number of packets need to be acknolwedged ("Ack"d) before the transmission can continue. As you get farther away from the service (in router hops, switching latency, serialization / deserialization time, and real distance), latency increases ... meaning the "ack"s can only happen so fast and throughput is constrained, regardless of available "extra" bandwidth.

For example, one PC (even the most powerful & current, regardless of OS) cannot fill a DS3 (45Mbps) using a single session FTP client talking from coast-to-coast. It usually maxes out ~ 6-12MBps. Using multiple PCs, or multiple-session FTP clients (personally, I like FileZilla - it's free and very fast: http://filezilla-project.org/download.php ) you can load it up all the way. Conditions for each download site vary, so the stats for each site will also vary, sometimes wildly ... especially if the site (or a site along the Internet path) uses a low-tier (slower, lesser priority, generally cheaper) link.

With rare exception, it's best to use the provider's on-net speed test system. The server and client pieces are optimized to each other and (usually) are designed to run as fast as the possible without the usual protocol and latency restrictions. Going off-net for a speed test is like driving past the neighborhood gas station to by gas across town. The risk is that you'll hit construction, narrower streets, traffic jams or other impediments beyond your provider's control.

Unfortunately, when I tried to get a link to AT&T Speed Test site I got the following:

(quote)

"The AT&T High Speed Internet Speed Test is currently under construction. A new and improved AT&T Speed Test will be available in the near future."

(end quote)

It will eventually be listed under the esupport site.

If I can find a better description of these effects, I'll post it up.

mibrnsurg wrote:

SlowDelSol wrote:

Chris

This is not necesarily the best method, due to latency-based restrictions for TCP traffic.

In a nutshell, if the download service you are using uses TCP, then every "X" number of packets need to be acknolwedged ("Ack"d) before the transmission can continue. As you get farther away from the service (in router hops, switching latency, serialization / deserialization time, and real distance), latency increases ... meaning the "ack"s can only happen so fast and throughput is constrained, regardless of available "extra" bandwidth.

For example, one PC (even the most powerful & current, regardless of OS) cannot fill a DS3 (45Mbps) using a single session FTP client talking from coast-to-coast. It usually maxes out ~ 6-12MBps. Using multiple PCs, or multiple-session FTP clients (personally, I like FileZilla - it's free and very fast: http://filezilla-project.org/download.php ) you can load it up all the way. Conditions for each download site vary, so the stats for each site will also vary, sometimes wildly ... especially if the site (or a site along the Internet path) uses a low-tier (slower, lesser priority, generally cheaper) link.

With rare exception, it's best to use the provider's on-net speed test system. The server and client pieces are optimized to each other and (usually) are designed to run as fast as the possible without the usual protocol and latency restrictions. Going off-net for a speed test is like driving past the neighborhood gas station to by gas across town. The risk is that you'll hit construction, narrower streets, traffic jams or other impediments beyond your provider's control.

Unfortunately, when I tried to get a link to AT&T Speed Test site I got the following:

(quote)

"The AT&T High Speed Internet Speed Test is currently under construction. A new and improved AT&T Speed Test will be available in the near future."

(end quote)

It will eventually be listed under the esupport site.

If I can find a better description of these effects, I'll post it up.

Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

7 of 12 (487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2010 2:45:38 PM
(0)
Master

ScottMac, also received the same "under construction" prompt when trying to access AT&T High Speed Internet Test website.

Just wondered if this AT&T Speed Test link is the same thing and says for "U-verse and other"?

http://www.att-services.net/tools/tool-internet-speed-test.html

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.

ScottMac, also received the same "under construction" prompt when trying to access AT&T High Speed Internet Test website.

Just wondered if this AT&T Speed Test link is the same thing and says for "U-verse and other"?

http://www.att-services.net/tools/tool-internet-speed-test.html

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

8 of 12 (487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 20, 2010 11:40:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Uni, that ATT website seems to cater to users that do not have any ATT services and is using Ookla, that a number of speed tests use too, including the National Broadband Plan.  How did you find that website?

I got a 'maintenance in progress' msg on the speed test desiged for ATT users.

http://helpme.att.net/dsl/speedtest/  :smileywink:

Chris

Uni, that ATT website seems to cater to users that do not have any ATT services and is using Ookla, that a number of speed tests use too, including the National Broadband Plan.  How did you find that website?

I got a 'maintenance in progress' msg on the speed test desiged for ATT users.

http://helpme.att.net/dsl/speedtest/  :smileywink:

Chris

9 of 12 (487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2010 7:25:16 AM
(0)
Master

Chris, seems like the website link I posted is aimed directly at AT&T U-Verse customers but open to all others too. Kind of odd they have Directv listed but am sure that's probably just a link to sales.

I found it through Google and typed it in exactly as ScottMac had written: "AT&T High Speed Internet Speed Test". It's at the top of the 2nd page and listed as "Free AT&T U-verse Tools - AT&T Internet Speed Test and U-verse IP". The link I posted is just the speed test part and I'll post the home page below as a screen shot. Here is the homepage link http://www.att-services.net/tools/

Kind of a nice link since you can see the IP address and the exact version of the browser you're using. Chris, maybe you can explain what the "ISP provider" or "SP's connection points" are because this is an address I've never seen before? I'm sure it has to do with the internet rather than my IP address I see through ""Network info" on my TV menu or through my computer.

Kind of odd that yesterday when I did the same search the link you posted ( http://helpme.att.net/dsl/speedtest/ ) was at the top of the 1st page of Google. Maybe it was "AT&T High Speed Internet Speed Test" as ScottMac had it written. Now it is gone and they just have AT&T listed and explain, "AT&T is continually working to improve our internet site for our customers. As part of this ongoing effort, we are currently doing maintenance. ...". Get the same maintenance prompt as the previous link. Maybe so many of us were trying to use the link they just pulled the speed test part and installed AT&T.

1835i2793383DC57B5CA2

Uniblurb3

Chris, seems like the website link I posted is aimed directly at AT&T U-Verse customers but open to all others too. Kind of odd they have Directv listed but am sure that's probably just a link to sales.

I found it through Google and typed it in exactly as ScottMac had written: "AT&T High Speed Internet Speed Test". It's at the top of the 2nd page and listed as "Free AT&T U-verse Tools - AT&T Internet Speed Test and U-verse IP". The link I posted is just the speed test part and I'll post the home page below as a screen shot. Here is the homepage link http://www.att-services.net/tools/

Kind of a nice link since you can see the IP address and the exact version of the browser you're using. Chris, maybe you can explain what the "ISP provider" or "SP's connection points" are because this is an address I've never seen before? I'm sure it has to do with the internet rather than my IP address I see through ""Network info" on my TV menu or through my computer.

Kind of odd that yesterday when I did the same search the link you posted ( http://helpme.att.net/dsl/speedtest/ ) was at the top of the 1st page of Google. Maybe it was "AT&T High Speed Internet Speed Test" as ScottMac had it written. Now it is gone and they just have AT&T listed and explain, "AT&T is continually working to improve our internet site for our customers. As part of this ongoing effort, we are currently doing maintenance. ...". Get the same maintenance prompt as the previous link. Maybe so many of us were trying to use the link they just pulled the speed test part and installed AT&T.

1835i2793383DC57B5CA2

Uniblurb3

10 of 12 (487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2010 10:03:56 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Uni, that original ATT speed test link is the same one you used to pull down the closest location to test through.  They took it down and are suspiciously 'working' on it for more than a month. :smileyvery-happy:

For your host I magine you saw something like this:  your IP address.lightspeed.clbsoh.sbcglobal.net

Lightspeed was ATT's original name for the Uverse project, Uverse users have it added to the host name,  then 4 digits for Columbus, 2 for OH and it all runs on the original SBC Global network. :smileywink:

Chris

Uni, that original ATT speed test link is the same one you used to pull down the closest location to test through.  They took it down and are suspiciously 'working' on it for more than a month. :smileyvery-happy:

For your host I magine you saw something like this:  your IP address.lightspeed.clbsoh.sbcglobal.net

Lightspeed was ATT's original name for the Uverse project, Uverse users have it added to the host name,  then 4 digits for Columbus, 2 for OH and it all runs on the original SBC Global network. :smileywink:

Chris

11 of 12 (225 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 21, 2010 11:19:14 AM
(0)
Master

Thanks for the info Chris and you hit the host SBC Global network IP address in the head. :smileywink:

Seems like there's a lot of AT&T/U-verse links and phone numbers disappearing or being changed.

Must be the "Influx Capacitor" that's causing all the problems. :smileyvery-happy:

Uniblurb3

Thanks for the info Chris and you hit the host SBC Global network IP address in the head. :smileywink:

Seems like there's a lot of AT&T/U-verse links and phone numbers disappearing or being changed.

Must be the "Influx Capacitor" that's causing all the problems. :smileyvery-happy:

Uniblurb3

12 of 12 (225 Views)