Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Mar 8, 2009
9:06:11 AM
Sound drops - What receiver minimizes this?

I've had U-verse since October and I'm tired of the sound drops on HD channels.  I'd like to start a topic to find out what receivers have the least sound drops (since it seems that all recievers have some sound drop due to "the bug" ).  So far I've seen posts in which the Pioneer VSX-1018AH is stated as having minor dropout issues and another post mentions that the Denon avr-1909 has no audio dropouts.  What audio receiver do you have and how frequent and long are your audio dropouts?  I have a Pioneer VSX-D711 and audio drops out vary from HD channel to channel but it's approximately three or four times during a 60 minute show, there is complete silence for about one to two seconds, and then the audio kicks back in. 

Edited:  I should mention that I'm using the optical link for my audio and have no plans to ever switch back to the stereo connections.

Message Edited by meduncan5 on 03-08-2009 09:07 AM

I've had U-verse since October and I'm tired of the sound drops on HD channels.  I'd like to start a topic to find out what receivers have the least sound drops (since it seems that all recievers have some sound drop due to "the bug" ).  So far I've seen posts in which the Pioneer VSX-1018AH is stated as having minor dropout issues and another post mentions that the Denon avr-1909 has no audio dropouts.  What audio receiver do you have and how frequent and long are your audio dropouts?  I have a Pioneer VSX-D711 and audio drops out vary from HD channel to channel but it's approximately three or four times during a 60 minute show, there is complete silence for about one to two seconds, and then the audio kicks back in. 

Edited:  I should mention that I'm using the optical link for my audio and have no plans to ever switch back to the stereo connections.

Message Edited by meduncan5 on 03-08-2009 09:07 AM

Sound drops - What receiver minimizes this?

29 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(29)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2009 10:20:25 AM
(0)
Mentor
I have a Harman Kardon AVR-354 , a Harman Kardon AVR-247, and a Sony STR-DG600 all connected with optical audio. Very rarely have audio dropouts on any of them
I have a Harman Kardon AVR-354 , a Harman Kardon AVR-247, and a Sony STR-DG600 all connected with optical audio. Very rarely have audio dropouts on any of them

Re: Sound drops - What receiver minimizes this?

2 of 30 (1,555 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2009 1:35:46 PM
(0)
Expert
Denon makes a receiver that the problem doesn't occur I think it is one of the 6800 series.
Denon makes a receiver that the problem doesn't occur I think it is one of the 6800 series.

3 of 30 (1,555 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 8, 2009 6:28:09 PM
(0)
Mentor

Pioneer VSX-918V

Audio dropouts, on HD, are of about 1 every 30-60 seconds.  Makes using digital sound, for television, unbareable.  Dropouts are about 1/4 of a second in length.

Pioneer VSX-918V

Audio dropouts, on HD, are of about 1 every 30-60 seconds.  Makes using digital sound, for television, unbareable.  Dropouts are about 1/4 of a second in length.

4 of 30 (1,555 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2009 8:52:02 AM
(0)
Tutor
I recently upgraded to the Onkyo sr 606 - They are all but gone now, the occasional "pop", but no dropouts -- This is using component cables + optical audio.
I recently upgraded to the Onkyo sr 606 - They are all but gone now, the occasional "pop", but no dropouts -- This is using component cables + optical audio.

5 of 30 (1,555 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2009 8:56:31 AM
(0)
Guru

Sony STR-DE985

Does not handle drops well.   I hope AT&T/Microsoft fixes this glitch soon.

-- Rob

Sony STR-DE985

Does not handle drops well.   I hope AT&T/Microsoft fixes this glitch soon.

-- Rob

6 of 30 (1,555 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2009 12:09:17 PM
(0)
Tutor
I have a Sony digital receiver and it's horrible with the drop, the display on receiver scrolls every time it comes back on and it's pretty annoying.  I'm hooked up via optical cable as well.  Any idea what this bug is and when then anticipate a fix? 
I have a Sony digital receiver and it's horrible with the drop, the display on receiver scrolls every time it comes back on and it's pretty annoying.  I'm hooked up via optical cable as well.  Any idea what this bug is and when then anticipate a fix? 

7 of 30 (1,555 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 10, 2009 4:55:05 PM
(0)
Tutor

I get pauses going from my STB to my receiver using optical cable but no dropouts from my STB to my TV using the tv speakers.  Odd as there is no HDMI interaction between my STB and y receiver

I get pauses going from my STB to my receiver using optical cable but no dropouts from my STB to my TV using the tv speakers.  Odd as there is no HDMI interaction between my STB and y receiver

8 of 30 (1,555 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2009 4:54:38 PM
(0)
Mentor
I think your throwing your money down the drain if you trying to find a receiver to solve this problem.  This is an AT&T problem, not a receiver problem.  And the cost of the receiver doesn't matter either.  I've seen many fine sounding receivers that have this problem.  Personally, I have a B&K and still get dropouts.  Amazingly though, if you pause live TV, the problem mostly goes away.  Interestingly, you even have to pause recorded shows to stop the drop outs.
I think your throwing your money down the drain if you trying to find a receiver to solve this problem.  This is an AT&T problem, not a receiver problem.  And the cost of the receiver doesn't matter either.  I've seen many fine sounding receivers that have this problem.  Personally, I have a B&K and still get dropouts.  Amazingly though, if you pause live TV, the problem mostly goes away.  Interestingly, you even have to pause recorded shows to stop the drop outs.

9 of 30 (1,555 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2009 9:45:50 PM
(0)
Master
I use an Integra (Onkyo's upper brand) and occasionally it gets audio drop out but not as much as now as a couple of months ago.
I use an Integra (Onkyo's upper brand) and occasionally it gets audio drop out but not as much as now as a couple of months ago.

10 of 30 (1,555 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 11, 2009 10:10:12 PM
(0)
Tutor

wallstreet wrote:

I don't know if I'd say you're throwin money away.. Don't get me wrong, this is a problem that HAS to be fixed but the difference between my previous Sony, and the Onkyo I just bought is night and day.  Plus, if you're like me, your previous receiver may not have been able to do 1080p/i pass through and upscaling, so that was just an extra reason to upgrade (and it's all but eliminated my audio dropouts).

wallstreet wrote:

I don't know if I'd say you're throwin money away.. Don't get me wrong, this is a problem that HAS to be fixed but the difference between my previous Sony, and the Onkyo I just bought is night and day.  Plus, if you're like me, your previous receiver may not have been able to do 1080p/i pass through and upscaling, so that was just an extra reason to upgrade (and it's all but eliminated my audio dropouts).

11 of 30 (1,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 12, 2009 11:05:50 AM
(0)
Expert

hagfish wrote:

wallstreet wrote:

Based on the posts I have read regarding this issue.  If you can afford to buy a new receiver by all means do so.  It is highly likely that the newer receivers are able to do the 1080p/i pass through to one degree or another.  Too many people have stated that this solved their audio dropout issues.  YRMV.  My take.

hagfish wrote:

wallstreet wrote:

Based on the posts I have read regarding this issue.  If you can afford to buy a new receiver by all means do so.  It is highly likely that the newer receivers are able to do the 1080p/i pass through to one degree or another.  Too many people have stated that this solved their audio dropout issues.  YRMV.  My take.

12 of 30 (1,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2009 9:11:56 AM
(0)
Mentor
If you want HDMI switching or some other latest whiz bang features of a new receiver, by all means by upgrade.  If you buy one based on uVerse TV audio dropouts or HDMI sync problems, I think you may well be disappointed.  I've not heard of another content provider with so many audio issues as AT&T.
If you want HDMI switching or some other latest whiz bang features of a new receiver, by all means by upgrade.  If you buy one based on uVerse TV audio dropouts or HDMI sync problems, I think you may well be disappointed.  I've not heard of another content provider with so many audio issues as AT&T.

13 of 30 (1,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2009 9:44:54 AM
(0)
Expert

wallstreet wrote:

When Directv, Comcast, and many other service providers launched.  They had major and minor problems for the first 5 - 7 years.  But since there was nothing to compare them to except ota tv people dealt with the new technology.  Uverse is not only the newer service but they are providing programming delivered in a totally new way.  IPTV is Internet Protocol Televisionl.  Which delivers the programming in 4 streams of internet packets which are decoded by the stbs.  It is not terrestrial television like ota, cable, or satellite.  So if they have a problem with hdmi, hd, audio, 5.1 audio or whatever, they are working to resolve them.  While adding all of the requested channels and apps that are being requested that a lot of people claim are "deal breakers".  None of these issues can be solved with a flick of a switch, which some of you think they can.  They take time, some more than others.  If you can hold on long enough all of these issues will get resolved.  If you can't, its a good thing AT&T doesn't have binding contracts for the Uverse service.  We can come and go as we please.  Give them time they will get there, we just offer workarounds so that the people who want to keep the service can get the most out of what they have for the time being.

wallstreet wrote:

When Directv, Comcast, and many other service providers launched.  They had major and minor problems for the first 5 - 7 years.  But since there was nothing to compare them to except ota tv people dealt with the new technology.  Uverse is not only the newer service but they are providing programming delivered in a totally new way.  IPTV is Internet Protocol Televisionl.  Which delivers the programming in 4 streams of internet packets which are decoded by the stbs.  It is not terrestrial television like ota, cable, or satellite.  So if they have a problem with hdmi, hd, audio, 5.1 audio or whatever, they are working to resolve them.  While adding all of the requested channels and apps that are being requested that a lot of people claim are "deal breakers".  None of these issues can be solved with a flick of a switch, which some of you think they can.  They take time, some more than others.  If you can hold on long enough all of these issues will get resolved.  If you can't, its a good thing AT&T doesn't have binding contracts for the Uverse service.  We can come and go as we please.  Give them time they will get there, we just offer workarounds so that the people who want to keep the service can get the most out of what they have for the time being.

14 of 30 (1,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2009 10:52:14 AM
(0)
Mentor

Being in the audio video field, I can tell you for sure it is not a receiver issue.

I have a Sony ES series receiver and I never have any problems, however I had to " downgrade" from HDMI to optical audio cable just to get digital sound!

Now that my friend is an ATT problem that only they can fix.

Like I have said before I had a charter hd-dvr box with HDMI and I never had ANY issues with either sound pops or for that matter getting 5.1 digital audio! That alone should say volumes about the ATT STB's

Good luck and don't spend where you do not have to.

only reason I upgraded to the ES line was the audio I needed from the BD player.

Being in the audio video field, I can tell you for sure it is not a receiver issue.

I have a Sony ES series receiver and I never have any problems, however I had to " downgrade" from HDMI to optical audio cable just to get digital sound!

Now that my friend is an ATT problem that only they can fix.

Like I have said before I had a charter hd-dvr box with HDMI and I never had ANY issues with either sound pops or for that matter getting 5.1 digital audio! That alone should say volumes about the ATT STB's

Good luck and don't spend where you do not have to.

only reason I upgraded to the ES line was the audio I needed from the BD player.

15 of 30 (1,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 13, 2009 4:14:48 PM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks for all the feedback guys.  The points that were made about buying a receiver just to fix the U-Verse sound issue are very valid, but I was looking to upgrade my receiver anyway.  Rather than buy one where the problem would be worse than my current experience I am looking for one that would minimize the issue plus give me support for HDMI and audio technology that wasn't available (or affordable) 5 years ago when I bought my receiver.  There have to be others in the same boat as me where they want to upgrade their audio system and simply don't want a worse audio experience with U-Verse.  Hopefully this discussion will help them.
Thanks for all the feedback guys.  The points that were made about buying a receiver just to fix the U-Verse sound issue are very valid, but I was looking to upgrade my receiver anyway.  Rather than buy one where the problem would be worse than my current experience I am looking for one that would minimize the issue plus give me support for HDMI and audio technology that wasn't available (or affordable) 5 years ago when I bought my receiver.  There have to be others in the same boat as me where they want to upgrade their audio system and simply don't want a worse audio experience with U-Verse.  Hopefully this discussion will help them.

16 of 30 (1,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2009 7:40:36 PM
(0)
Mentor
I have a Sony receiver (can't remember the model number off the top of my head).  My U-verse is connected HDMI to the Sony receiver, then HDMI from the Sony receiver to the TV.  I've never noticed an audio dropout on any channel.
I have a Sony receiver (can't remember the model number off the top of my head).  My U-verse is connected HDMI to the Sony receiver, then HDMI from the Sony receiver to the TV.  I've never noticed an audio dropout on any channel.

17 of 30 (1,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 14, 2009 10:16:21 PM
(0)
Tutor

scots wrote:

Are you using optical audio?  If not, you're enjoying 2 channel sound - This is why you're not experiencing audio dropouts (the dropouts occur with optical audio DD) -- Or, if you are using optical, you have a "compatible" receiver as odd as that sounds.

Message Edited by hagfish on 03-14-2009 10:29 PM
Message Edited by hagfish on 03-14-2009 10:30 PM

scots wrote:

Are you using optical audio?  If not, you're enjoying 2 channel sound - This is why you're not experiencing audio dropouts (the dropouts occur with optical audio DD) -- Or, if you are using optical, you have a "compatible" receiver as odd as that sounds.

Message Edited by hagfish on 03-14-2009 10:29 PM
Message Edited by hagfish on 03-14-2009 10:30 PM

18 of 30 (1,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2009 8:30:13 AM
(0)
Mentor
Ah...I'm not using optical audio, and I didn't realize I wasn't getting 5.1 over HDMI.  I hadn't really paid much attention to it until you mentioned it.  Is this something AT&T is going to fix with a software update?  I know HDMI is capable of 5.1 and I have one of the new Cisco STB's, so I can't believe the hardware isn't capabable of it.  I'm pretty sure all my optical ports are in use on my receiver by other things, and I can't use component for the video as all of my component ports are in use.
Ah...I'm not using optical audio, and I didn't realize I wasn't getting 5.1 over HDMI.  I hadn't really paid much attention to it until you mentioned it.  Is this something AT&T is going to fix with a software update?  I know HDMI is capable of 5.1 and I have one of the new Cisco STB's, so I can't believe the hardware isn't capabable of it.  I'm pretty sure all my optical ports are in use on my receiver by other things, and I can't use component for the video as all of my component ports are in use.

19 of 30 (1,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2009 1:02:58 PM
(0)
Master

What receiver minimizes this?

How about the one that's not connected to a UVERSE receiver. :smileytongue::smileywink:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.

What receiver minimizes this?

How about the one that's not connected to a UVERSE receiver. :smileytongue::smileywink:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.

neon_sign.jpg

20 of 30 (1,386 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 17, 2009 1:21:29 PM
(0)
Tutor

So I've watched this closely as I too had audio dropouts via optical connection, especially with DD 5.1. Sometimes a few, sometimes a lot. Mitigated a bit by pausing - but not entirely. My audio seemed to hiccup each time I changed channel for a brief instant a second or so after the new channel displayed - then the hiccups continued.

Here's my good news - my 10-year old Yamaha RXV793 was getting long in the tooth - not only were there limited input options but the surround and lfe channels were botched up intermittently on 2.0 Prologic material. It was time to get a new one. Paid $600 for this thing in 1998 or so.

After reading the options here that seemed to work, I just took shipment on a very inexpensive Onkyo 304. 5.1, digitial, assignable optical and coax, but no hdmi. Didn't need that as I'm using component, which it will switch. Works great - $149 - no audio hiccuping detected after 24 hours or so of use. I'm very happy with this cheap solution. I'd guess the more full=featured Onkyos work well, too, as I've read do the Denons - but I was trying to save some $ after investing in a new lcd.

You may read that these Onkyos click when switching modes - and they do when going from 2-channel stereo to Prologic, DTS, or DD 5.1 - but not when switching among the various options that are 5 channel. So far, so good. I'll agree you may not want to upgrade or chnage receivers just to eliminate the hiccups, but for me, it worked, and eliminated some other issues I had with my old Yamaha.

I just read Onkyo has announced a 307 unit that adds to what I have hdmi switching, Audyssy, and front inputs. OK as I don't need them. That unit should go for around $200. YMMV

So I've watched this closely as I too had audio dropouts via optical connection, especially with DD 5.1. Sometimes a few, sometimes a lot. Mitigated a bit by pausing - but not entirely. My audio seemed to hiccup each time I changed channel for a brief instant a second or so after the new channel displayed - then the hiccups continued.

Here's my good news - my 10-year old Yamaha RXV793 was getting long in the tooth - not only were there limited input options but the surround and lfe channels were botched up intermittently on 2.0 Prologic material. It was time to get a new one. Paid $600 for this thing in 1998 or so.

After reading the options here that seemed to work, I just took shipment on a very inexpensive Onkyo 304. 5.1, digitial, assignable optical and coax, but no hdmi. Didn't need that as I'm using component, which it will switch. Works great - $149 - no audio hiccuping detected after 24 hours or so of use. I'm very happy with this cheap solution. I'd guess the more full=featured Onkyos work well, too, as I've read do the Denons - but I was trying to save some $ after investing in a new lcd.

You may read that these Onkyos click when switching modes - and they do when going from 2-channel stereo to Prologic, DTS, or DD 5.1 - but not when switching among the various options that are 5 channel. So far, so good. I'll agree you may not want to upgrade or chnage receivers just to eliminate the hiccups, but for me, it worked, and eliminated some other issues I had with my old Yamaha.

I just read Onkyo has announced a 307 unit that adds to what I have hdmi switching, Audyssy, and front inputs. OK as I don't need them. That unit should go for around $200. YMMV

21 of 30 (1,656 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2009 7:04:13 AM
(0)
Tutor
I figured I would provide an update to this since I started the thread.  A couple weeks ago I went out and picked up an Onkyo TX-SR606B receiver based, somewhat, on some of the feedback I received here.  This replaced an aging Pioneer receiver that I bought about 6 years ago.  The new Onkyo receiver has virtually eliminated the audio hiccups in HD content.  While everyone's audio experience may be different and I'm not saying run out and buy one of these receivers I can say, from my experience, that the U-Verse service is now much more enjoyable without the annoying audio hiccups.
I figured I would provide an update to this since I started the thread.  A couple weeks ago I went out and picked up an Onkyo TX-SR606B receiver based, somewhat, on some of the feedback I received here.  This replaced an aging Pioneer receiver that I bought about 6 years ago.  The new Onkyo receiver has virtually eliminated the audio hiccups in HD content.  While everyone's audio experience may be different and I'm not saying run out and buy one of these receivers I can say, from my experience, that the U-Verse service is now much more enjoyable without the annoying audio hiccups.

22 of 30 (1,656 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2009 7:21:58 AM
(0)
Contributor

I just got U-verse 2 days ago. Can someone fill me in on these sound drops.

I have the Motorola VIP1225 DVR tuner connected to an Onkyo TX SR 605 receiver. I first had connected with HDMI & I got no Dolby digital at all. Now I have it connected with component video & optical audio. I get dolby digital now, but I'm getting these sound drops. What is the story here? Will a different tuner fix this or is it a U-verse network problem? Why can't I get Dolby digital when I use the HDMI cable?

Thanks, 

Scott

I have the Motorola VIP1225 DVR tuner connected to an Onkyo TX SR 605 receiver. I first had connected with HDMI & I got no Dolby digital at all. Now I have it connected with component video & optical audio. I get dolby digital now, but I'm getting these sound drops. What is the story here? Will a different tuner fix this or is it a U-verse network problem? Why can't I get Dolby digital when I use the HDMI cable?

Thanks, 

Scott

23 of 30 (1,656 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2009 7:46:02 AM
(0)
Tutor

My experience has been that the sound drops only happen on HD channels and there are many conversations across this board regarding the issue.  It is not necessarily a receiver issue and there are many others that can explain the situation a lot better than me.  However, the basic story is that there is a signal sync issue in the AT&T service with regard to high-def audio.  Since the U-Verse service only sends stereo over the HDMI port that is why you are not experiencing an audio issue when you connect HDMI.  Also, if you turn on the system sounds (the menu "dings" and such) then you will not experience the audio issue because the U-Verse box will take high-def audio, down convert it to stereo, and then layer on the system sounds.  At that point the sound will remain in stereo format even if the audio is going through the optical port.  Assuming you don't have the system sounds enabled, the optical port is the high-def source out of the U-Verse box and if you use that you'll experience the audio "hiccups".  Some receivers handle the audio sync issue better than others, but it seems that most of them experience at least a little audio issue every once in a while.

My experience has been that the sound drops only happen on HD channels and there are many conversations across this board regarding the issue.  It is not necessarily a receiver issue and there are many others that can explain the situation a lot better than me.  However, the basic story is that there is a signal sync issue in the AT&T service with regard to high-def audio.  Since the U-Verse service only sends stereo over the HDMI port that is why you are not experiencing an audio issue when you connect HDMI.  Also, if you turn on the system sounds (the menu "dings" and such) then you will not experience the audio issue because the U-Verse box will take high-def audio, down convert it to stereo, and then layer on the system sounds.  At that point the sound will remain in stereo format even if the audio is going through the optical port.  Assuming you don't have the system sounds enabled, the optical port is the high-def source out of the U-Verse box and if you use that you'll experience the audio "hiccups".  Some receivers handle the audio sync issue better than others, but it seems that most of them experience at least a little audio issue every once in a while.

24 of 30 (1,656 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2009 8:48:37 AM
(0)
Master

smg1z28 wrote:

Thanks, 

Scott

U-verse has had problems with using with HDMI connections and not carrying true 5.1 channel audio since they started. If they knew what the problem was they probably would have fixed it. Could be in broadcast but more likely in STB (set top box) or Microsoft software in STB. (Urban legend is that the new Motorola and Cisco boxes with cure this audio sound drop. Not, according to many posts.) Even in using Toslink optical audio connection there will stll be some audio drops but it is less evident on certain receivers. A previous poster, a few posts back, mentioned an inexpensive $149 receiver that seemed to correct this problem somewhat.

May want to read some of the many threads listed but will still not draw many conclusions on how to resolve this issue.

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/search?board_id=Uverse_TV_Equipment&submitted=true&q=5.1+audio+drops

Best connection is component/audio connections, or HDMI, directly to TV and Toslink optical to receiver with sound tones turned off in STB. There have been many video issues in using HDMI at all on certain sets since can cause some color tints and lack of detail in the blacks. Some very knowledgeable forum members swear by using component connections only and no HDMI connections. I am using HDMI connection to Sony KDS-60A3000 HDTV with no problems and am using a Sony HTS-SS2300 receiver connected by Toslink optical connected to STB. There are still some 5.1 audio drops but not very noticeable. Fair warning: if you have both HDMI and optical audio connected to your sound system receiver at the same time the HDMI may take priority over optical connection and you will not receive 5.1 channel audio. Most Sony receivers are like this as well as many others.

For those that are running out of connection space try monoprice.com for all types of switches (Toslink optical, component, HDMI, etc.) and cables. Most switches are high quality, as well as cables, and prices are excellent. Just purchase a Toslink optical switch for $5 and new HQ Toslink optical cables for about $5 each. Switch may not be HQ but works fine. Only problem is that it is manual.

Good luck!

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.

smg1z28 wrote:

Thanks, 

Scott

U-verse has had problems with using with HDMI connections and not carrying true 5.1 channel audio since they started. If they knew what the problem was they probably would have fixed it. Could be in broadcast but more likely in STB (set top box) or Microsoft software in STB. (Urban legend is that the new Motorola and Cisco boxes with cure this audio sound drop. Not, according to many posts.) Even in using Toslink optical audio connection there will stll be some audio drops but it is less evident on certain receivers. A previous poster, a few posts back, mentioned an inexpensive $149 receiver that seemed to correct this problem somewhat.

May want to read some of the many threads listed but will still not draw many conclusions on how to resolve this issue.

http://utalk.att.com/utalk/search?board_id=Uverse_TV_Equipment&submitted=true&q=5.1+audio+drops

Best connection is component/audio connections, or HDMI, directly to TV and Toslink optical to receiver with sound tones turned off in STB. There have been many video issues in using HDMI at all on certain sets since can cause some color tints and lack of detail in the blacks. Some very knowledgeable forum members swear by using component connections only and no HDMI connections. I am using HDMI connection to Sony KDS-60A3000 HDTV with no problems and am using a Sony HTS-SS2300 receiver connected by Toslink optical connected to STB. There are still some 5.1 audio drops but not very noticeable. Fair warning: if you have both HDMI and optical audio connected to your sound system receiver at the same time the HDMI may take priority over optical connection and you will not receive 5.1 channel audio. Most Sony receivers are like this as well as many others.

For those that are running out of connection space try monoprice.com for all types of switches (Toslink optical, component, HDMI, etc.) and cables. Most switches are high quality, as well as cables, and prices are excellent. Just purchase a Toslink optical switch for $5 and new HQ Toslink optical cables for about $5 each. Switch may not be HQ but works fine. Only problem is that it is manual.

Good luck!

Uniblurb3

If you get to thinking you're a person of influence, try ordering someone else's dog around.

Need help? Contact AT&T at 800-288-2020.

25 of 30 (1,656 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2009 11:53:18 AM
(0)
Contributor

So....

A few days looking into this & speaking with U-verse tech's I am told that the cisco box will fix the sound drop problems & I will be able to use HDMI for Dolby digital. Can anyone confirm this, or is this more BS?

Oh yea,

I can't get the cisco box as of yet....

Thanks

Scott

So....

A few days looking into this & speaking with U-verse tech's I am told that the cisco box will fix the sound drop problems & I will be able to use HDMI for Dolby digital. Can anyone confirm this, or is this more BS?

Oh yea,

I can't get the cisco box as of yet....

Thanks

Scott

26 of 30 (1,655 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 3, 2009 1:32:27 PM
(0)
Tutor

Hope that it will - but if these are the Ciscos already issued, they are functionally the same as the Motorola - same internals, I have read. But they may have a later software version or a different component that could make matters better?

I posted a while back on my switch to the $149 Onkyo TX-SR304 - I've had it a few weeks and so far so good. No noticeable skips - at least none that don't accompany a picture break up or stutter - I have those occasionally on HD channels. varies by channel, maybe once per few hours of viewing - worse when I am recording HD and watching another. My RG stats show a very good connection, so I'm thinking some of this is part of the experience til something is patched. I'm happy, generally. Til I started watching HD I never experienced stutters.

Back to the topic of audio dropouts on DD toslink - wonder if we could check reciever specs to determine which decoder chips - I think all manufacturers use just a few - fair better with Uverse optical out? I think my newer Onkyo uses "96 kHz/24-Bit x 6 DACs" by Analog Devices, I think. Works well. Whatever is in my old Yamaha reciever blows.

Hope that it will - but if these are the Ciscos already issued, they are functionally the same as the Motorola - same internals, I have read. But they may have a later software version or a different component that could make matters better?

I posted a while back on my switch to the $149 Onkyo TX-SR304 - I've had it a few weeks and so far so good. No noticeable skips - at least none that don't accompany a picture break up or stutter - I have those occasionally on HD channels. varies by channel, maybe once per few hours of viewing - worse when I am recording HD and watching another. My RG stats show a very good connection, so I'm thinking some of this is part of the experience til something is patched. I'm happy, generally. Til I started watching HD I never experienced stutters.

Back to the topic of audio dropouts on DD toslink - wonder if we could check reciever specs to determine which decoder chips - I think all manufacturers use just a few - fair better with Uverse optical out? I think my newer Onkyo uses "96 kHz/24-Bit x 6 DACs" by Analog Devices, I think. Works well. Whatever is in my old Yamaha reciever blows.

27 of 30 (1,655 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 4, 2009 1:44:19 PM
(0)
Tutor
I mentioned this in another thread but my very old Sony STR-DE835 (circa 1999) is hooked up through optical and I have yet to notice any audio drop-out on 5.1. I have my TV hooked directly to the STB using hdmi. I had the video drop a couple of times in about 8 hours of watching so far but it was only for a couple of seconds each time and it happened once right after turning it on and the other time while I was messing around with the settings. I'll keep an eye on it and if it happens a few more times, I'll switch to component. TV is a Toshiba 37av502u. STB is a Motorola vip1200 (non-dvr).
I mentioned this in another thread but my very old Sony STR-DE835 (circa 1999) is hooked up through optical and I have yet to notice any audio drop-out on 5.1. I have my TV hooked directly to the STB using hdmi. I had the video drop a couple of times in about 8 hours of watching so far but it was only for a couple of seconds each time and it happened once right after turning it on and the other time while I was messing around with the settings. I'll keep an eye on it and if it happens a few more times, I'll switch to component. TV is a Toshiba 37av502u. STB is a Motorola vip1200 (non-dvr).

28 of 30 (1,655 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2010 3:32:06 PM
(0)
Contributor

So ive been having problems with my audio "hiccuping" for a while now. I had an old Onkyo that occasionally had jerky audio but then i upgraded to the Onkyo TX-NR708. I notice the hiccups even more with this new receiver. It seems to happen more when watching old movies on HD channels. When i say old im referring to 90s and older.

After reading  meduncan5 post i checked my config on my uverse box and saw that i had surround sound selected in the audio section. I put it back to "stereo" and the hiccuping stopped. The hiccuping has stopped on the movie im currently watching and will try and update this post with further information on my experiences. Thanks.

So ive been having problems with my audio "hiccuping" for a while now. I had an old Onkyo that occasionally had jerky audio but then i upgraded to the Onkyo TX-NR708. I notice the hiccups even more with this new receiver. It seems to happen more when watching old movies on HD channels. When i say old im referring to 90s and older.

After reading  meduncan5 post i checked my config on my uverse box and saw that i had surround sound selected in the audio section. I put it back to "stereo" and the hiccuping stopped. The hiccuping has stopped on the movie im currently watching and will try and update this post with further information on my experiences. Thanks.

29 of 30 (1,565 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 31, 2010 1:32:26 PM
(0)
Contributor

I've had same problem with Onkyo HT-RC270 receiver which is basically same model as NR708. For the most part the problem seems to be limited to any channel that is trying to put out Dolby Digital 2.0. About half of the hi-def channels fall into this category.  Any hi-def channel putting out 5.1 has very few drop outs. Changing the mode on the Uverse box to stereo eliminates the audio drops but short changes you on the quality of the audio that you are supposed to be getting!  Still not clear where the fault lies, Onkyo or Uverse but I did not have the problem with my older SR- 606 Onkyo receiver.

I've had same problem with Onkyo HT-RC270 receiver which is basically same model as NR708. For the most part the problem seems to be limited to any channel that is trying to put out Dolby Digital 2.0. About half of the hi-def channels fall into this category.  Any hi-def channel putting out 5.1 has very few drop outs. Changing the mode on the Uverse box to stereo eliminates the audio drops but short changes you on the quality of the audio that you are supposed to be getting!  Still not clear where the fault lies, Onkyo or Uverse but I did not have the problem with my older SR- 606 Onkyo receiver.

30 of 30 (1,289 Views)