Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 16, 2009
7:34:58 AM
View profile
Sound Question- Connecting Samsung TV, Sound Bar and Blu-Ray to STB

I am trying to connect the following components and utilize all to their maximum potential:

Samsung HD LCD TV

Samsung Blu-Ray (not wireless and trying to avoid buying Donggle)

Samsung Sound Bar

ATT U-VErse STB

SO.....

Co-ax from wall to STB

HDMI from STB to TV

HDMI from Blu-Ray to TV

Ethernet from STB to Blu-Ray

Optical from STB to Soundbar

I believe this is all correct (although VERY welcome to suggestions).  My questions is the sound from the Blu-ray.  Do I also connect Blu-ray to sound bar or TV to soundbar for soundbar use when NOT using STB? Or do I eliminate the STB to soundbar connection and just go from TV to Soundbar?

Thank you for any help you can provide, it is most appreciated.

I am trying to connect the following components and utilize all to their maximum potential:

Samsung HD LCD TV

Samsung Blu-Ray (not wireless and trying to avoid buying Donggle)

Samsung Sound Bar

ATT U-VErse STB

SO.....

Co-ax from wall to STB

HDMI from STB to TV

HDMI from Blu-Ray to TV

Ethernet from STB to Blu-Ray

Optical from STB to Soundbar

I believe this is all correct (although VERY welcome to suggestions).  My questions is the sound from the Blu-ray.  Do I also connect Blu-ray to sound bar or TV to soundbar for soundbar use when NOT using STB? Or do I eliminate the STB to soundbar connection and just go from TV to Soundbar?

Thank you for any help you can provide, it is most appreciated.

Sound Question- Connecting Samsung TV, Sound Bar and Blu-Ray to STB

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2009 9:08:15 AM
(0)
Expert

The change I would make is that your TV should have some audio outputs.  Either an RCA L/R set of outputs (possibly two sets, one labeled "fixed" and the other labeled "variable" -- use the "fixed" set), and/or an optical digital output.

Unplug the optical cable from the STB and plug it into the digital out of the TV.  The other end of this optical cable stays where it is, which is plugged into the sound bar.

This results in audio paths as follows:

U-Verse: U-Verse STB -> TV (HDMI) -> Sound Bar (Optical)

Blu-Ray: Blu-Ray Player -> TV (HDMI) -> Sound Bar (Optical)

If your TV does not have the optical digital output, make an analog connection from the RCA L/R "fixed" outputs on the TV to the sound bar.

You will need to set the U-Verse audio output to "Stereo" (not "Surround Sound").  You will also need to set the Blu-Ray player to output PCM audio from all formats.

The change I would make is that your TV should have some audio outputs.  Either an RCA L/R set of outputs (possibly two sets, one labeled "fixed" and the other labeled "variable" -- use the "fixed" set), and/or an optical digital output.

Unplug the optical cable from the STB and plug it into the digital out of the TV.  The other end of this optical cable stays where it is, which is plugged into the sound bar.

This results in audio paths as follows:

U-Verse: U-Verse STB -> TV (HDMI) -> Sound Bar (Optical)

Blu-Ray: Blu-Ray Player -> TV (HDMI) -> Sound Bar (Optical)

If your TV does not have the optical digital output, make an analog connection from the RCA L/R "fixed" outputs on the TV to the sound bar.

You will need to set the U-Verse audio output to "Stereo" (not "Surround Sound").  You will also need to set the Blu-Ray player to output PCM audio from all formats.

Re: Sound Question- Connecting Samsung TV, Sound Bar and Blu-Ray to STB

2 of 2 (5,860 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments