Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Aug 9, 2010
12:58:52 PM
View profile
Sonicwall Router behind RG - worked after install, not working now

Have read several threads on having a router behind the RG.

Install was completed on Monday of last week.  At the install, the tech had trouble getting a WAN connection on the Sonicwall device (TZ180).  Tech got it working eventually and explained that he had to specify the MAC address of the RG on the TZ180.

System worked Monday, Tuesday and part of Wednesday.  Then, I went out of town.  Something happened while I was out of town (power failure? other?) and now, the TZ180 no longer has a WAN connection.

Before I start making lots of changes, I wanted to see if the info above helps anyone point me in the right direction to resolve.

I have never had setting changes occur on the TZ180 as a result of power failure.  I have used it for a year plus with a cable modem and loss of power has never been a problem.  Not sure there was a power issue, just wanted to note how the Sonicwall behaves in that scenario.

TVs are connected to the RG and none of them had any problems.  Household computers and wireless devices connect to the TZ180.  After the loss of the WAN connection, connections to the TZ180 are good, just no Internet.  RG is connected to the Internet as evidenced by TVs working AND plugging computer into the RG delivers Internet access.

So, need to get the Sonicwall back into the mix, but not sure where to focus since it was definitely working for at least 36 hours after install.

Have read several threads on having a router behind the RG.

Install was completed on Monday of last week.  At the install, the tech had trouble getting a WAN connection on the Sonicwall device (TZ180).  Tech got it working eventually and explained that he had to specify the MAC address of the RG on the TZ180.

System worked Monday, Tuesday and part of Wednesday.  Then, I went out of town.  Something happened while I was out of town (power failure? other?) and now, the TZ180 no longer has a WAN connection.

Before I start making lots of changes, I wanted to see if the info above helps anyone point me in the right direction to resolve.

I have never had setting changes occur on the TZ180 as a result of power failure.  I have used it for a year plus with a cable modem and loss of power has never been a problem.  Not sure there was a power issue, just wanted to note how the Sonicwall behaves in that scenario.

TVs are connected to the RG and none of them had any problems.  Household computers and wireless devices connect to the TZ180.  After the loss of the WAN connection, connections to the TZ180 are good, just no Internet.  RG is connected to the Internet as evidenced by TVs working AND plugging computer into the RG delivers Internet access.

So, need to get the Sonicwall back into the mix, but not sure where to focus since it was definitely working for at least 36 hours after install.

Sonicwall Router behind RG - worked after install, not working now

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2010 1:53:44 PM
(0)
Expert

For most routers behind the RG, you need to temporarily set the router's WAN port to use DHCP to get an IP address from the RG.  After the RG has issued an IP address via DHCP, you can then switch the router to use a static IP if you want to.

The issue is that the RG has difficulty "seeing" devices on the network that it didn't issue a DHCP address to.

For most routers behind the RG, you need to temporarily set the router's WAN port to use DHCP to get an IP address from the RG.  After the RG has issued an IP address via DHCP, you can then switch the router to use a static IP if you want to.

The issue is that the RG has difficulty "seeing" devices on the network that it didn't issue a DHCP address to.

Re: Sonicwall Router behind RG - worked after install, not working now

2 of 4 (1,547 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2010 2:02:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will definitely verify that  on the router.

I'm fairly certain I have it setup that way currently.  Along those lines, I tried restarting the devices thinking that I needed the device to provide an IP address.  RG restart, up and and working... then start TZ180... up and working... WAN connection fails.  Reversed the order... same problem.

Is there a restart order I need to follow to make sure I'm giving the devices the best chance to deliver/rcv an IP address?

From the TZ180, I have gone to the WAN setup section and done a release, renew... still no connection.  The logs show that the WAN connection is up, then immediately following, is a log entry that the WAN connection is down.

Still scratching my head as to how/why it was working for a couple days and then stopped.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I will definitely verify that  on the router.

I'm fairly certain I have it setup that way currently.  Along those lines, I tried restarting the devices thinking that I needed the device to provide an IP address.  RG restart, up and and working... then start TZ180... up and working... WAN connection fails.  Reversed the order... same problem.

Is there a restart order I need to follow to make sure I'm giving the devices the best chance to deliver/rcv an IP address?

From the TZ180, I have gone to the WAN setup section and done a release, renew... still no connection.  The logs show that the WAN connection is up, then immediately following, is a log entry that the WAN connection is down.

Still scratching my head as to how/why it was working for a couple days and then stopped.

3 of 4 (1,547 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 9, 2010 2:19:48 PM
(0)
Expert

Definitely the RG should be started up first.  Once it's runing, then your router should be able to get an IP.

Definitely the RG should be started up first.  Once it's runing, then your router should be able to get an IP.

4 of 4 (1,547 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments