Something else to add to the "preparing for install" checklist

Something else to add to the "preparing for install" checklist

Here's one I just learned the hard way: if you live in a townhouse or apartment, make sure that the box that contains the wiring/splitters to your home can be opened by the installation technician.  What I thought was just a rather strange-looking screw indentation (sort of a 12-pointed "ring" with another square hole in the middle) was a key, and after a round of chasing my own tail (Comcast office: "We don't have the key; it's the townhouse management company's box" - Townhouse management company: "We don't have the keys for those; it's Comcast's box"), a Comcast tech is coming out tomorrow to see if they really can open it - which then brings up the question: can the keep the box open until the rescheduled U-Verse installation six days later (and even that assumes my DSL service, which was scheduled to be cancelled nine days before the original installation date, finally gets turned off)?

-- Don

Message 1 of 22 (1,816 Views)

Re: Something else to add to the "preparing for install" checklist

jfw wrote:

Who knows, but I bet he might have wanted to use the coax inside the box that runs into your house to make the install easier for him, the next guy may do things different.

Good luck on your install and let know how it turned out.  

Step one complete - Comcast tech spliced and then reconnected the lines inside my garage, so the AT&T tech can access them without needing the box open.  (Good thing I did it that way - when I told the Comcast tech what I wanted, he told me that he couldn't simply move the existing wires inside the garage as they used "old" connectors.  On top of that, it took something like 30 minutes to install two new connectors on my existing wiring as it was over 30 years old and extremely difficult to strip.)

With any luck, my next reply will be via U-Verse HSI...

-- Don

Message 16 of 22 (1,002 Views)
Expert

I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

Message 17 of 22 (965 Views)
Highlighted

1 PM - the arrival window is over, and the installer has not arrived.  I call AT&T, and the automated service voice assures me that the tech "will call or arrive soon."

1:30 PM - I try to call again...and my phone line is dead.  (I assume it is because they have to stop my normal home phone service in order to switch my number to U-Verse.)  I call AT&T again, but just as I start explaining my problem to somebody, the tech drives up.  I explain to him how Comcast reconfigured the cable wiring inside the house so he didn't have to go into the Comcast box.  "Oh, I have a key for those boxes."  (My reply: "I wish the tech a week ago did."  His: "Well, most of us don't have them.")

He looks at the two wires that go into my garage and I thought went up into my house.  It turns out that only of them is mine; the other one goes to a neighbor's house.  I hope they weren't watching anything important at around 8:15 that morning...

It gets better; apparently, there's a splitter that separates my living room line (which comes out of the floor) from my bedroom line (which has a jack in the wall).  After a few tests, he determines that the splitter is located about 3 feet from where the line enters the floor.  One small problem: it's actually between the living room floor and the garage ceiling, covered up by a piece of drywall (it's separate from the rest of the ceiling, so no cutting was necessary) being held in place by who knows how many screws, all of which are covered by various amounts of tape and paint.

Anyway, after 5 hours, including a slight delay getting AT&T to understand that I had already registered and not keep popping up the registration page every time I tried to connect to the Internet, everything is pretty much done.  I say "pretty much" as my profile is only 3/1, and someone has to come out tomorrow morning to look at the phone wires to get it up to 4/0.  At least my internet is running fast - speedtest.net says 11.2 Mbps, and this is on a wireless connection (and the RG is in the same room as the computer, so it should be possible to run a network cable to it).

-- Don

Message 18 of 22 (945 Views)
Expert

Go to this link and download the app.  You can use it to check for errors, see what profile you are on and which one you should be on if different.  See which stbs are on and what channels they are on.  What channels are being recorded and which are just being watched.  You can even post screen shots so that your stats can be diagnosed by the creator of the program.

http://www.uverserealtime.com/

Message 19 of 22 (937 Views)
Professor

Sounds like the tech that did the install had a better handle on what needed to be done than the first guy that came out.

5 hours is not an abnormal amount of time for a complete install..... Keep us posted.

Message 20 of 22 (912 Views)

[ Edited ]

Everything seems to work fine now - there was a slight glitch with recording things (recordings set from the STBs would appear to be scheduled but then disappear, and recordings set up from the DVR were done but showed black screens on playback) that I noted in another thread, but a soft reboot of all of the boxes fixed that.

Now all I need to do is to get used to the new channel numbers (for example CNN-HD is 1202 instead of 759), and find ways around the features I took for granted with my TiVo (for example, setting up a recurring manual recording, and when playing back a recording, is there a way to slow it down, or have it step forward one frame (1/30 second) at a time?).

(A U-Verse TiVo - now there's a thought...then again, they have been working on a HD TiVo fir DirecTV for God's own number of forevers, so I won't be holding my breath; I'll epect to see affordable solid-state drive TiVos before U-Verse ones.)

-- Don

Message 21 of 22 (764 Views)

Almost forgot: the AT&T tech did try to call me - but what he thought was my cell phone number was actually my number at work, and obviously I wasn't there to get the message.

-- Don

Message 22 of 22 (750 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.