Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Jan 1, 2010
4:48:09 PM
View profile
Solution: DVR unresponsive to Remote Control

After months of frustration, I found a fix to my unresponsive DVR. The remote would work for my TV, but the DVR performance/responsiveness would steadily degrade over time, until you had to stand within just a couple feet of the DVR to get it to respond to the remote.

Simply go to your TV settings and disable the "auto brightness sensor" or "optical controller". I disabled it, set to a "standard" picture, and now the remote works like a charm. I suspect there are others out there with the same issue.

I have a Toshiba Regza TV, LCD, 42" HD 1080.

What didn't work:

-unplug/reboot DVR

-unplug/reboot Gateway

-disaster recovery sequence on DVR

-moving DVR over 4 ft away from TV

-throwing remote control towards DVR at fairly high velocity.

After months of frustration, I found a fix to my unresponsive DVR. The remote would work for my TV, but the DVR performance/responsiveness would steadily degrade over time, until you had to stand within just a couple feet of the DVR to get it to respond to the remote.

Simply go to your TV settings and disable the "auto brightness sensor" or "optical controller". I disabled it, set to a "standard" picture, and now the remote works like a charm. I suspect there are others out there with the same issue.

I have a Toshiba Regza TV, LCD, 42" HD 1080.

What didn't work:

-unplug/reboot DVR

-unplug/reboot Gateway

-disaster recovery sequence on DVR

-moving DVR over 4 ft away from TV

-throwing remote control towards DVR at fairly high velocity.

Solution: DVR unresponsive to Remote Control

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2010 5:06:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

If you would have come here months ago, we would have told you to try that. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

If you would have come here months ago, we would have told you to try that. :smileywink:

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Solution: DVR unresponsive to Remote Control

2 of 7 (2,050 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2010 7:02:51 PM
(0)
Contributor

Doh! :smileyhappy:

They need to make this place searcheable by google...or if they are, for some reason my keywords never struck gold. It was pure chance I found these boards while I was online chatting with support.

They need to make this place searcheable by google...or if they are, for some reason my keywords never struck gold. It was pure chance I found these boards while I was online chatting with support.

3 of 7 (2,050 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 1, 2010 7:09:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
This forum is searchable on Google.
This forum is searchable on Google.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 7 (2,050 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2010 6:55:52 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

gwgfree wrote:

Funny 18 months ago I searched 'Uverse' and the first 2 things after the sponsored links were Utalk and

uverseusers.com (the 2 main Uverse forums) before I signed up. :smileywink:

Chris

gwgfree wrote:

Funny 18 months ago I searched 'Uverse' and the first 2 things after the sponsored links were Utalk and

uverseusers.com (the 2 main Uverse forums) before I signed up. :smileywink:

Chris

5 of 7 (2,050 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2011 7:41:59 AM
(0)
Contributor

Hi. I'm hoping you can help. I'm having issues with my remote also, and my cable company was no help at all. The remote control works sporadically on our DVR. It's NOT the batteries (thanks a lot, Charter, for that high-tech tip). I tried your tip above but don't see anything remotely resembling "auto brightness sensor" or "optical controller." Our TV is Sony. Any ideas? We already replaced the remote, but the new one has the same issues. Volume controls work, but other buttons just work sometimes or after pressing many many times. Someone mentioned maybe the HDMI cable???

Hi. I'm hoping you can help. I'm having issues with my remote also, and my cable company was no help at all. The remote control works sporadically on our DVR. It's NOT the batteries (thanks a lot, Charter, for that high-tech tip). I tried your tip above but don't see anything remotely resembling "auto brightness sensor" or "optical controller." Our TV is Sony. Any ideas? We already replaced the remote, but the new one has the same issues. Volume controls work, but other buttons just work sometimes or after pressing many many times. Someone mentioned maybe the HDMI cable???

6 of 7 (1,702 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2011 8:10:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Edited by BeeBeeSA on Jan 3, 2011 at 8:15:18 AM

jojo2011 wrote:

Since this is a Uverse forum you might have better luck here: http://forum.cabletv.com/charter-communications/

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

jojo2011 wrote:

Since this is a Uverse forum you might have better luck here: http://forum.cabletv.com/charter-communications/

"If you find this post helpful and it solved your issue please mark it as a solution.  This will help other forum members locate it and will also let everyone know that it corrected your problem. If they have the same issue they will know how to solve theirs"

[ Edited ]
7 of 7 (1,684 Views)