Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 26, 2009
9:33:10 AM
View profile
So many blinking activity lights from gateway.

I have a CAT5 wire from the output of the gateway to my switches connecting my 4 computers in a separate room.  The switches are former Linksys routers with the DHCP disabled, and there are LEDs on the front for network activity.

The only other connection from the gateway is to the TV stb.

Even when my computers are all off, I sometimes see a lot of blinking LEDs.  I don't think this ever happened with my old DSL connection, where they were connected to the modem.  I'm wondering why this is happening, and whether it's normal.

Anyone else with this type of setup notice anything like this?

I have a CAT5 wire from the output of the gateway to my switches connecting my 4 computers in a separate room.  The switches are former Linksys routers with the DHCP disabled, and there are LEDs on the front for network activity.

Even when my computers are all off, I sometimes see a lot of blinking LEDs.  I don't think this ever happened with my old DSL connection, where they were connected to the modem.  I'm wondering why this is happening, and whether it's normal.

So many blinking activity lights from gateway.

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2009 11:51:30 AM
(0)
Employee

linfidel wrote:

It's quite normal. The content to your STBs/DVR is multicast (like an addressable broadcast) and, while most multicasts are contained by the RG, some required traffic does make it out, which is then repeated out of the other SOHO switch ports.

linfidel wrote:

It's quite normal. The content to your STBs/DVR is multicast (like an addressable broadcast) and, while most multicasts are contained by the RG, some required traffic does make it out, which is then repeated out of the other SOHO switch ports.

Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: So many blinking activity lights from gateway.

2 of 5 (333 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2009 12:15:38 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thanks for the reply.  Nice to know it's normal, at least.  Do you know if it interferes at all with normal internet traffic?  I'd hate to think my poor old routers are being overwhelmed with this new-fangled TV traffic.  Especially since it doesn't even matter whether I'm watching TV or not. :-)

Thanks for the reply.  Nice to know it's normal, at least.  Do you know if it interferes at all with normal internet traffic?  I'd hate to think my poor old routers are being overwhelmed with this new-fangled TV traffic.  Especially since it doesn't even matter whether I'm watching TV or not. :-)

3 of 5 (333 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2009 1:00:08 PM
(0)
Employee

linfidel wrote:

Traffic is traffic; it is occupying bandwidth (but very little, generally not eough to matter in the least). Some of those blinks you are seeing are not originating from the RG, DVR, or STBs. Any IP host will originate broadcasts as part of normal operation.

Also note that even if the TVs are not being watched (and the STBs are "off" --standby--), in the background, the guides are updated, the firmware is updated, the monitoring systems (monitoring like making sure things are up and working, are reachable, etc) are collecting and messages are sent ("Wanna buy a Domino's Pizza?" or "U-Verse has a new feature!!").

Also, while the routers and switches are engaged in handling the multicasts and routine management traffic, the nature of multicast traffic is such that any host not specifically interested in the traffic can ignore it (will ignore it), so it's not impacting host performance. A broadcast (for comparison) must be accepted and processed by the host, up to the point in the protocol stack where it can be identified and evaluated as relavent or not and delt with. Lots of broadcasts can be bad, because it costs processing time as well as bandwidth. 

linfidel wrote:

Traffic is traffic; it is occupying bandwidth (but very little, generally not eough to matter in the least). Some of those blinks you are seeing are not originating from the RG, DVR, or STBs. Any IP host will originate broadcasts as part of normal operation.

Also note that even if the TVs are not being watched (and the STBs are "off" --standby--), in the background, the guides are updated, the firmware is updated, the monitoring systems (monitoring like making sure things are up and working, are reachable, etc) are collecting and messages are sent ("Wanna buy a Domino's Pizza?" or "U-Verse has a new feature!!").

Also, while the routers and switches are engaged in handling the multicasts and routine management traffic, the nature of multicast traffic is such that any host not specifically interested in the traffic can ignore it (will ignore it), so it's not impacting host performance. A broadcast (for comparison) must be accepted and processed by the host, up to the point in the protocol stack where it can be identified and evaluated as relavent or not and delt with. Lots of broadcasts can be bad, because it costs processing time as well as bandwidth. 

Sent from my phone.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 5 (333 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 26, 2009 9:52:08 PM
(0)
Teacher
Thanks a lot for all the info.  I feel better having some idea about what's going on.  Sometimes when I see a lot of unexpected network activity, I worry that there's a virus or something.
Thanks a lot for all the info.  I feel better having some idea about what's going on.  Sometimes when I see a lot of unexpected network activity, I worry that there's a virus or something.

5 of 5 (333 Views)