Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Apr 12, 2009
10:31:27 AM
So I'm not crazy? There is not Dolby 5.1 over HDMI?

Folks,

Just looking for a little affirmation from the forums: Is it true that I cannot get Dolby 5.1/AC-3 sound via an HDMI cable from U-verse?

That seems to be the gist of a few threads I've read this morning, but AT&T frontline customer support had no idea about it. And frankly many of the audio threads here on U-talk are over my head.

FWIW, my setup is this:

U-verse STB (Moto VIP1216) --> HDMI --> Panasonic HDTV (TH50PZ80U)  --> optical --> Home theater receiver (old Harmon-Kardon AVR55)

With this setup I get Dolby ProLogic. If I run the optical connection direct from the cable box to the receiver, I get "Dolby Digital" which is AC-3.

From reading the other threads, it seems that this is not a problem with my TV (which is the new element I just added) but rather a problem with the Moto box. Since I've just spent a couple of hours on the phone with Panasonic and AT&T support with no confirmation, I'm hoping the home theater veterans up here will recognize the problem.

Stephen (a noob to U-Talk)

Message Edited by howardsarin on 04-12-2009 10:39 AM

Folks,

Just looking for a little affirmation from the forums: Is it true that I cannot get Dolby 5.1/AC-3 sound via an HDMI cable from U-verse?

That seems to be the gist of a few threads I've read this morning, but AT&T frontline customer support had no idea about it. And frankly many of the audio threads here on U-talk are over my head.

FWIW, my setup is this:

U-verse STB (Moto VIP1216) --> HDMI --> Panasonic HDTV (TH50PZ80U)  --> optical --> Home theater receiver (old Harmon-Kardon AVR55)

With this setup I get Dolby ProLogic. If I run the optical connection direct from the cable box to the receiver, I get "Dolby Digital" which is AC-3.

From reading the other threads, it seems that this is not a problem with my TV (which is the new element I just added) but rather a problem with the Moto box. Since I've just spent a couple of hours on the phone with Panasonic and AT&T support with no confirmation, I'm hoping the home theater veterans up here will recognize the problem.

Stephen (a noob to U-Talk)

Message Edited by howardsarin on 04-12-2009 10:39 AM

So I'm not crazy? There is not Dolby 5.1 over HDMI?

12 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(12)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2009 10:40:29 AM
(0)
Tutor
Well two things actually.  First you are correct, as of right now U-Verse is not able to send 5.1 over the HDMI connection.  But, even if it was you wouldn't be seeing anything other than 2.0 from your television.  A large number of televisions do not have the capability to send 5.1 over the optical output of the television on any source other than the built-in tuner of the television.  A quick google search seems to indicate that your Panny is in the same boat, only the built-in tuner will output 5.1 on the optical output.  So to get any 5.1 from U-Verse you'll need to run the optical cable from the U-Verse box right to your AV receiver. 
Well two things actually.  First you are correct, as of right now U-Verse is not able to send 5.1 over the HDMI connection.  But, even if it was you wouldn't be seeing anything other than 2.0 from your television.  A large number of televisions do not have the capability to send 5.1 over the optical output of the television on any source other than the built-in tuner of the television.  A quick google search seems to indicate that your Panny is in the same boat, only the built-in tuner will output 5.1 on the optical output.  So to get any 5.1 from U-Verse you'll need to run the optical cable from the U-Verse box right to your AV receiver. 

Re: So I'm not crazy? There is not Dolby 5.1 over HDMI?

2 of 13 (2,885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2009 12:01:28 PM
(0)
Tutor

bradly wrote:
A large number of televisions do not have the capability to send 5.1 over the optical output of the television on any source other than the built-in tuner of the television.  A quick google search seems to indicate that your Panny is in the same boat, only the built-in tuner will output 5.1 on the optical output.

Wow -- I hope not! Do you have a link that I can follow-up to research this a bit more?

The TV manual makes a couple of references to using the optical connection for 5.1 sound. Reading them anew, I'm realizing they may not say what I thought they said.

1. "You can enjoy your home theater by connecting a Dolby Digital (5.1 channel) decoder an "Multi Channel" amplifier to the Digital Audio Out terminals [i.e. the optical cable]."
  2. "If you connect equipment that has 'HDAVI Control 2' (or more) function to the TV with HDMI cable, then sound from the Digital Audio Out terminal can be output as multi channel surroud." (It seems that HDAVI is a Panasonic-specific thing.)
  3. "When audio from other equipment is connected to this unit via HDMI is output using Digital Audio Out of this unit, the system switches to 2CH audio." (This is on the same Viera Link page as point #2 above.)

That last one is a killer, isn't it?

I'm still a little optimistic, though, since Panasonic's "concierge" support line clearly told me that an input from a set-top box via HDMI should be able to otput 5.1 sound via optical. That nice lady would not have lied, would she?

Message Edited by howardsarin on 04-12-2009 12:02 PM

bradly wrote:
A large number of televisions do not have the capability to send 5.1 over the optical output of the television on any source other than the built-in tuner of the television.  A quick google search seems to indicate that your Panny is in the same boat, only the built-in tuner will output 5.1 on the optical output.

Wow -- I hope not! Do you have a link that I can follow-up to research this a bit more?

The TV manual makes a couple of references to using the optical connection for 5.1 sound. Reading them anew, I'm realizing they may not say what I thought they said.

1. "You can enjoy your home theater by connecting a Dolby Digital (5.1 channel) decoder an "Multi Channel" amplifier to the Digital Audio Out terminals [i.e. the optical cable]."
  2. "If you connect equipment that has 'HDAVI Control 2' (or more) function to the TV with HDMI cable, then sound from the Digital Audio Out terminal can be output as multi channel surroud." (It seems that HDAVI is a Panasonic-specific thing.)
  3. "When audio from other equipment is connected to this unit via HDMI is output using Digital Audio Out of this unit, the system switches to 2CH audio." (This is on the same Viera Link page as point #2 above.)

That last one is a killer, isn't it?

I'm still a little optimistic, though, since Panasonic's "concierge" support line clearly told me that an input from a set-top box via HDMI should be able to otput 5.1 sound via optical. That nice lady would not have lied, would she?

3 of 13 (2,885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 12, 2009 11:54:24 PM
(0)
Scholar
In most cases the digital audio outs on tvs only output 5.1 sound on the audio from the over the air antenna built into your tv.
In most cases the digital audio outs on tvs only output 5.1 sound on the audio from the over the air antenna built into your tv.

4 of 13 (2,885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2009 2:23:49 PM
(0)
Guru

bradly wrote:

It's one reason I haven't upgraded my old Onkyo yet. Why get an HDMI receiver when the TV won't output it anyway. 

bradly wrote:

It's one reason I haven't upgraded my old Onkyo yet. Why get an HDMI receiver when the TV won't output it anyway. 

5 of 13 (2,885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2009 3:05:42 PM
(0)
Scholar
Actually the reason you get a new HDMI receiver is that you plug all your hdmi inputs into your receiver so your receiver takes the 5.1 signal straight from the device then only passes video video to your tv through it's own HDMI output.  That's the way I have mine setup right now.  It's great only having to run a power cord and one HDMI cord to a wall mounted LCD.
Actually the reason you get a new HDMI receiver is that you plug all your hdmi inputs into your receiver so your receiver takes the 5.1 signal straight from the device then only passes video video to your tv through it's own HDMI output.  That's the way I have mine setup right now.  It's great only having to run a power cord and one HDMI cord to a wall mounted LCD.

6 of 13 (2,885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 13, 2009 7:20:44 PM
(0)
Guru

donatom3 wrote:

Fair enough,but still not enough for me to part with a receiver that still sounds good and originally cost me 400.00.

donatom3 wrote:

Fair enough,but still not enough for me to part with a receiver that still sounds good and originally cost me 400.00.

7 of 13 (2,885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 16, 2009 3:33:43 PM
(0)
Tutor

@: That makes sense -- and my receiver is almost 10 years old, so definitely zero HDMI ports for me -- but with the U-verse set-top box, I'd still have sound going into the receiver via optical, video via HDMI, and then I'd be mixiing the two to get both into the TV via HDMI.

Makes my head hurt even thinking about it, and I bet I'd have little success choosing a receive that could do THAT trick. (I'm the guy who didn't realize his TV wasn't going to output 5.1 sound via optical.) I think the smart move is to wait for U-verse to deliver top-notch sound via HDMI before buying anything new.

Stephen

@: That makes sense -- and my receiver is almost 10 years old, so definitely zero HDMI ports for me -- but with the U-verse set-top box, I'd still have sound going into the receiver via optical, video via HDMI, and then I'd be mixiing the two to get both into the TV via HDMI.

Makes my head hurt even thinking about it, and I bet I'd have little success choosing a receive that could do THAT trick. (I'm the guy who didn't realize his TV wasn't going to output 5.1 sound via optical.) I think the smart move is to wait for U-verse to deliver top-notch sound via HDMI before buying anything new.

Stephen

8 of 13 (2,885 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 17, 2011 7:09:17 AM
(0)
Contributor

I know this is an old thread, but I am also noticing that no one ever posted the answer or the solution.

By default the u-verse set-top box is in 2 channel mode, you have to change it to "surround sound" mode. This is done int he menu, and it is the last option all the way on the left, under "Advance" and then "audio".

I know this is an old thread, but I am also noticing that no one ever posted the answer or the solution.

By default the u-verse set-top box is in 2 channel mode, you have to change it to "surround sound" mode. This is done int he menu, and it is the last option all the way on the left, under "Advance" and then "audio".

9 of 13 (2,418 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2011 12:40:52 AM
(0)
Contributor
Also don't plan on your optical transmitting digital for long without constant drop outs. The uvesrse boxes have two audio settings (stereo) which is what they tell installers to use not digital then (surround) which activates Dolby digital to your receiver but dropouts happen via optical or hdmi. So it's a no win situation till they can fix issue. And he's right on the tv's 5.1 is for the HDTV tuner and optical outputs 2.0 it's in fine print somewhere in your manual. Good luck
Also don't plan on your optical transmitting digital for long without constant drop outs. The uvesrse boxes have two audio settings (stereo) which is what they tell installers to use not digital then (surround) which activates Dolby digital to your receiver but dropouts happen via optical or hdmi. So it's a no win situation till they can fix issue. And he's right on the tv's 5.1 is for the HDTV tuner and optical outputs 2.0 it's in fine print somewhere in your manual. Good luck

10 of 13 (2,265 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 28, 2011 8:36:26 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by oz_1 on Apr 28, 2011 at 8:42:00 PM

Also since then newer sets from Panasonic have the ability to pass the audio back out the dedicated HDMI look

at the spec sheet for the GT30 models called an audio return channel.

Also since then newer sets from Panasonic have the ability to pass the audio back out the dedicated HDMI look

at the spec sheet for the GT30 models called an audio return channel.

[ Edited ]
11 of 13 (1,788 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2011 5:11:58 PM
(0)
Tutor

I just switched to U-verse from Direct TV, to my surprise I lost the complete cinematic experience for a few dollars.

I have 3 devices (Apple TV, Sony play station and U-verse box) connected to my HD television. Optical output from my TV (samsung) connected to my Yamaha amplifier. I can not even get sound out if i configure my Uverse box with surround sound. It will work with stereo configuration but it is not the same cinematic experience.

Above configuration works with AppleTV and play-station but not U-verse. Italso worked Direct TV with no problem at all.

ATT should stop blaming on TV manufacturers, it is obviously U-verse only bug. Otherwise, I am back to Direct TV.

I just switched to U-verse from Direct TV, to my surprise I lost the complete cinematic experience for a few dollars.

I have 3 devices (Apple TV, Sony play station and U-verse box) connected to my HD television. Optical output from my TV (samsung) connected to my Yamaha amplifier. I can not even get sound out if i configure my Uverse box with surround sound. It will work with stereo configuration but it is not the same cinematic experience.

Above configuration works with AppleTV and play-station but not U-verse. Italso worked Direct TV with no problem at all.

ATT should stop blaming on TV manufacturers, it is obviously U-verse only bug. Otherwise, I am back to Direct TV.

12 of 13 (1,711 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 29, 2011 5:16:21 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

We have seen your other two posts.  There is no need to post across several threads.  I asked you a question in the thread you started.

We have seen your other two posts.  There is no need to post across several threads.  I asked you a question in the thread you started.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

13 of 13 (1,710 Views)