U-verse Forums

Posted Nov 8, 2010
9:17:47 PM
View profile
Signal stutters, cuts out for a few seconds DVR, HBO HD On Demand, local live
Edited by prime311 on Nov 8, 2010 at 9:20:04 PM

have an issue while watching several types of programming.  The first time i noticed it was while watching local programming, particularly NFL games.  What happens is the screen will lag, stutter, chop, or sometimes freeze and lose 5s or so of programming.  I've tried rewinding a short bit and sometimes it will play through, but even when it does I still notice a lag at the same points.  I've also noticed this happening a significant amount of time in 2 other instances.  HD programming recorded on DVR and  played on my upstairs TV that isnt HD.  This happens quite a bit, so much that the programs are nearly unwatchable.  I also notice it while playing HBO HD On Demand.  It may happen on more on demand channels, but this is the one I use the most by far.  I noticed one other thing with it.  In my living room, the tv is hooked up via HDMI and my audio receiver via Digital Optical.  When the screen stops the audio receiver will also show a complete loss of signal.  So it is both the Optical and HDMI having issues.  I've also played HBO HD On Demand on a different HDTV only plugged in via HDMI with no other audio system and I have the exact same issue.  In fact, the program even tends to stutter at the exact same times.  Its almost like it isnt buffering properly.  While I did find many similar issues on this forum, none seem to fit my problem exactly.  I installed the realtime software and don't think this look bad, but then I'm not fully versed in what to expect.

have an issue while watching several types of programming.  The first time i noticed it was while watching local programming, particularly NFL games.  What happens is the screen will lag, stutter, chop, or sometimes freeze and lose 5s or so of programming.  I've tried rewinding a short bit and sometimes it will play through, but even when it does I still notice a lag at the same points.  I've also noticed this happening a significant amount of time in 2 other instances.  HD programming recorded on DVR and  played on my upstairs TV that isnt HD.  This happens quite a bit, so much that the programs are nearly unwatchable.  I also notice it while playing HBO HD On Demand.  It may happen on more on demand channels, but this is the one I use the most by far.  I noticed one other thing with it.  In my living room, the tv is hooked up via HDMI and my audio receiver via Digital Optical.  When the screen stops the audio receiver will also show a complete loss of signal.  So it is both the Optical and HDMI having issues.  I've also played HBO HD On Demand on a different HDTV only plugged in via HDMI with no other audio system and I have the exact same issue.  In fact, the program even tends to stutter at the exact same times.  Its almost like it isnt buffering properly.  While I did find many similar issues on this forum, none seem to fit my problem exactly.  I installed the realtime software and don't think this look bad, but then I'm not fully versed in what to expect.

Signal stutters, cuts out for a few seconds DVR, HBO HD On Demand, local live

[ Edited ]
18 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(18)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 8:06:29 AM
(0)
Expert

Please also post the IP/Profile tab and the Error Table tab from U-Verse Realtime.

Please also post the IP/Profile tab and the Error Table tab from U-Verse Realtime.

Re: Signal stutters, cuts out for a few seconds DVR, HBO HD On Demand, local live

2 of 19 (8,166 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 8:44:41 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by prime311 on Nov 9, 2010 at 8:49:27 AM

stats

errors

stats

errors

Re: Signal stutters, cuts out for a few seconds DVR, HBO HD On Demand, local live

[ Edited ]
3 of 19 (8,156 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 8:47:08 AM
(0)
Teacher

I had a problem on the gateway around a week ago and had lost my internet connectivity so I had to hit the power button on it to get connectivity back.  I dont think it rebooted though.  I'm thinking that was the cause of the severe errors reported.  This problem has been ongoing for months.  

I had a problem on the gateway around a week ago and had lost my internet connectivity so I had to hit the power button on it to get connectivity back.  I dont think it rebooted though.  I'm thinking that was the cause of the severe errors reported.  This problem has been ongoing for months.  

4 of 19 (8,154 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 10:33:52 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by SomeJoe7777 on Nov 9, 2010 at 10:35:33 AM

How often are you getting the pauses or picture freezes when watching live TV?  Is it only once or twice a day, or is it often enough that it's several times in one program?

(Edit: Actually, I also saw you're getting the pauses and picture freezes when watching an HD program via THDVR also.  This is interesting and is another piece of evidence.  But we need to know about live TV also.)

How often are you getting the pauses or picture freezes when watching live TV?  Is it only once or twice a day, or is it often enough that it's several times in one program?

(Edit: Actually, I also saw you're getting the pauses and picture freezes when watching an HD program via THDVR also.  This is interesting and is another piece of evidence.  But we need to know about live TV also.)

[ Edited ]
5 of 19 (8,132 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 10:54:06 AM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by prime311 on Nov 9, 2010 at 11:02:36 AM

During Live programming it really doesnt happen very often.  It occurs most often during football games, but I've gone entire games without any noticeable problems.  It seems like when there is a problem that the problem is pretty bad, but oftentimes I'll reboot when its really bad and that will clear most if not all of the lag issues.  I only notice the problem on live while watching local tv channels, and does sometimes occur during primetime programming, but it is very sporadic in these cases and usually few enough that I can deal with it.  Perhaps a better way to put it is to go through the knowns.

1. Always local programming

2. Seen most often during NFL games, particularly the local Packer games

3. Seen 2nd most often during primetime programming

4. When it gets really really bad I reboot and this clears up most of it and usually enough to enjoy the program, but the problem is still present and just occurs less often.

5. Perhaps unrelated but I had similar issues with local programming when i had digital cable with time warner, it was one of the reasons i switched, but the problem still exists although it has definitely been better with uverse. 

2 and 3 would indicate to me a problem with bandwidth in my area.  4 would indicate an issue with the hardware in my house.  5 would indicate a cabling issue.  Not sure if theres any better testing I can do.  It drives me crazy because the problem is so inconsistent.    

During Live programming it really doesnt happen very often.  It occurs most often during football games, but I've gone entire games without any noticeable problems.  It seems like when there is a problem that the problem is pretty bad, but oftentimes I'll reboot when its really bad and that will clear most if not all of the lag issues.  I only notice the problem on live while watching local tv channels, and does sometimes occur during primetime programming, but it is very sporadic in these cases and usually few enough that I can deal with it.  Perhaps a better way to put it is to go through the knowns.

1. Always local programming

2. Seen most often during NFL games, particularly the local Packer games

3. Seen 2nd most often during primetime programming

4. When it gets really really bad I reboot and this clears up most of it and usually enough to enjoy the program, but the problem is still present and just occurs less often.

5. Perhaps unrelated but I had similar issues with local programming when i had digital cable with time warner, it was one of the reasons i switched, but the problem still exists although it has definitely been better with uverse. 

2 and 3 would indicate to me a problem with bandwidth in my area.  4 would indicate an issue with the hardware in my house.  5 would indicate a cabling issue.  Not sure if theres any better testing I can do.  It drives me crazy because the problem is so inconsistent.    

[ Edited ]
6 of 19 (8,124 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 11:08:10 AM
(0)
Expert

Do you have a laptop or a desktop computer with a long Ethernet cable?

If so, I'd like you to run the Stream Analyzer from U-Verse Realtime on your DVR.  We're going to put it under some stress and see if your coax network is handling it.

If you have U-Verse Realtime installed, go to Start -> Programs -> U-Verse Realtime -> ReadMe.  Go to page 20-22 of the PDF file.  On there are some diagrams on how to hook up your computer so that you can use the stream analyzer.  Since your DVR is connected with a coax connection, you'll use the diagram on page 21 (basically all you have to do is plug your computer's network connection into the Ethernet port on the back of the DVR).

Now do the following:

1. Run U-Verse Realtime, make sure it connects successfully to the 2Wire router and gives you your line statistics.
  2. Select the Ethernet interface of the computer you're using that is connected to the DVR in the pull-down menu in the configuration tab - it's labeled "Network connection for STB communication".  (If your computer only has one Ethernet interface, there will only be one selection here).
  3. Turn on the Channels/Streams feature in the configuration tab by checking the box labeled "Enable gathering STB channel/stream data".
  4. Make sure all of your STBs appear in the Channels/Streams tab (the exception is that the DVR may not appear when connected like this - that's OK).
  5. Pick up your U-Verse remote control, and begin recording 3 different HD programs (doesn't matter which ones).  After that, tune the DVR to an SD channel.  (At this point, you'll be using 3HD and 1SD streams, the maximum that the DVR can handle).
  6. Go to the Stream Analyzer tab in U-Verse Realtime.  Select a 15 minute analysis time, and hit the Start Analysis button.

When it finishes, post the screenshots of the Stream Analyzer tab.  There will be 4 streams listed in the "Display Stream" pull-down menu.  Post 4 different screenshots of all 4 of the streams.

My hunch here is that your coax network isn't up to par and is dropping packets or introducing errors.

Do you have a laptop or a desktop computer with a long Ethernet cable?

If so, I'd like you to run the Stream Analyzer from U-Verse Realtime on your DVR.  We're going to put it under some stress and see if your coax network is handling it.

If you have U-Verse Realtime installed, go to Start -> Programs -> U-Verse Realtime -> ReadMe.  Go to page 20-22 of the PDF file.  On there are some diagrams on how to hook up your computer so that you can use the stream analyzer.  Since your DVR is connected with a coax connection, you'll use the diagram on page 21 (basically all you have to do is plug your computer's network connection into the Ethernet port on the back of the DVR).

Now do the following:

1. Run U-Verse Realtime, make sure it connects successfully to the 2Wire router and gives you your line statistics.
  2. Select the Ethernet interface of the computer you're using that is connected to the DVR in the pull-down menu in the configuration tab - it's labeled "Network connection for STB communication".  (If your computer only has one Ethernet interface, there will only be one selection here).
  3. Turn on the Channels/Streams feature in the configuration tab by checking the box labeled "Enable gathering STB channel/stream data".
  4. Make sure all of your STBs appear in the Channels/Streams tab (the exception is that the DVR may not appear when connected like this - that's OK).
  5. Pick up your U-Verse remote control, and begin recording 3 different HD programs (doesn't matter which ones).  After that, tune the DVR to an SD channel.  (At this point, you'll be using 3HD and 1SD streams, the maximum that the DVR can handle).
  6. Go to the Stream Analyzer tab in U-Verse Realtime.  Select a 15 minute analysis time, and hit the Start Analysis button.

When it finishes, post the screenshots of the Stream Analyzer tab.  There will be 4 streams listed in the "Display Stream" pull-down menu.  Post 4 different screenshots of all 4 of the streams.

My hunch here is that your coax network isn't up to par and is dropping packets or introducing errors.

7 of 19 (8,102 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 12:03:32 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by prime311 on Nov 9, 2010 at 12:09:20 PM

Hmm, this is an ethernet connected DVR.  Unfortunately I don't have a switch.  My desktop is connected to the 2wire via cat5 and channels/streams is filled in correctly, but stream analyzer won't work this way.  I think i have a coax line that runs to where the box is so I could potentially hook it up with that, but I had done it this way thinking it was the most stable for THDVR.  

Hmm, this is an ethernet connected DVR.  Unfortunately I don't have a switch.  My desktop is connected to the 2wire via cat5 and channels/streams is filled in correctly, but stream analyzer won't work this way.  I think i have a coax line that runs to where the box is so I could potentially hook it up with that, but I had done it this way thinking it was the most stable for THDVR.  

[ Edited ]
8 of 19 (8,085 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 12:32:29 PM
(0)
Expert

OK, after looking at your Coax/HPNA screen shot I assumed the DVR was on coax.  If it's on Ethernet then leave it connected that way.

You do have other units connected via coax though.  Test on one of those units instead.  Get the DVR recording 3 HD + 1 SD like I described in step 5, then tune the STB you're testing on to one of the HD channels being recorded, and test with the stream analyzer.

OK, after looking at your Coax/HPNA screen shot I assumed the DVR was on coax.  If it's on Ethernet then leave it connected that way.

You do have other units connected via coax though.  Test on one of those units instead.  Get the DVR recording 3 HD + 1 SD like I described in step 5, then tune the STB you're testing on to one of the HD channels being recorded, and test with the stream analyzer.

9 of 19 (8,069 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 7:04:30 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by prime311 on Nov 9, 2010 at 7:09:51 PM

That much looks good.  Tested on my HDTV in basement.  Not sure if it makes a difference but it was recording 3 HD 1 SD since my wife was already recording an SD program.  

stream

Just realized this was a short test.  Running again with a 15 minute test.

That much looks good.  Tested on my HDTV in basement.  Not sure if it makes a difference but it was recording 3 HD 1 SD since my wife was already recording an SD program.  

stream

Just realized this was a short test.  Running again with a 15 minute test.

[ Edited ]
10 of 19 (8,036 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 7:09:10 PM
(0)
Expert

Can you post the screenshot after the entire 15 minute analysis is completed?  Yours had only been running for about a minute when you took the screenshot.

Can you post the screenshot after the entire 15 minute analysis is completed?  Yours had only been running for about a minute when you took the screenshot.

11 of 19 (6,699 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2010 7:10:29 PM
(0)
Teacher
Edited by prime311 on Nov 9, 2010 at 7:25:32 PM

Will edit this when 15 mins is done.  I thought I had run the 15 min one but it was only a 1 min test.  This is more like it:

stream

Will edit this when 15 mins is done.  I thought I had run the 15 min one but it was only a 1 min test.  This is more like it:

stream

[ Edited ]
12 of 19 (6,696 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 14, 2010 9:35:36 PM
(0)
Teacher

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas here?  Would like to get this fixed if its possible :smileyhappy:

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas here?  Would like to get this fixed if its possible :smileyhappy:

13 of 19 (6,613 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2010 8:00:03 AM
(0)
Expert

Sorry, when I last looked at this thread you had not yet posted the entire 15-minute analysis, and then the thread kind of got buried.

The 15-minute analysis looks fine.  A few out-of-order packets isn't going to cause the symptoms you describe.  So I think the network looks OK, at least on this STB unit that you checked.

At this point, I think there might be two possible problems.

1. Might be a bad DVR unit.  If the hard drive in it is marginal, it can cause the symptoms you describe -- lags, freezing, pausing during playback, etc.

2. Bad Ethernet connection to the DVR.  We weren't able to check the network connection at the DVR, so it could still be suspect.

I would call tech support and have them send a tech, have him re-crimp the Ethernet wiring connectors at each end of the run that goes to the DVR, and if possible, have him replace the DVR.

Sorry, when I last looked at this thread you had not yet posted the entire 15-minute analysis, and then the thread kind of got buried.

The 15-minute analysis looks fine.  A few out-of-order packets isn't going to cause the symptoms you describe.  So I think the network looks OK, at least on this STB unit that you checked.

At this point, I think there might be two possible problems.

1. Might be a bad DVR unit.  If the hard drive in it is marginal, it can cause the symptoms you describe -- lags, freezing, pausing during playback, etc.

2. Bad Ethernet connection to the DVR.  We weren't able to check the network connection at the DVR, so it could still be suspect.

I would call tech support and have them send a tech, have him re-crimp the Ethernet wiring connectors at each end of the run that goes to the DVR, and if possible, have him replace the DVR.

14 of 19 (6,597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2010 10:22:09 AM
(0)
Teacher

Hey Joe! 

Think I'm going to do this, but I wanted to check 1 thing.  Do you think this would correlate to my issue with HBO on demand on the other receivers too?  

Hey Joe! 

Think I'm going to do this, but I wanted to check 1 thing.  Do you think this would correlate to my issue with HBO on demand on the other receivers too?  

15 of 19 (6,535 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 20, 2010 4:23:29 PM
(0)
Expert

prime311 wrote:

Hey Joe! 

Possibly, but it's difficult to tell.

A final possibility is a bad RG, which indeed would affect anything and everything.

prime311 wrote:

Hey Joe! 

Possibly, but it's difficult to tell.

A final possibility is a bad RG, which indeed would affect anything and everything.

16 of 19 (6,484 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 4, 2010 9:25:22 PM
(0)
Teacher

Hey just wanted to update you on my status.  I scheduled someone to come in and take a look.  Got a call from AT+T that day and they said the person was running late and asked if i still wanted them to come that day.  I said i did.  I never ended up seeing them.  The next day I get a voice mail asking if my service is fixed.  I'm thinking ??!? no one ever showed up?  I started messing around though and I really haven't seen any issues since then.  So either someone showed up and did something outside or this is one crazy coincidence.  I'm cautiously optimistic at this point, service has been very good.   I did see the issue once but it was really bad not the 'sort of' bad it was before and a reboot fixed that.  So hopefully i am all set, but if I do have any more problems I will let you know.

Hey just wanted to update you on my status.  I scheduled someone to come in and take a look.  Got a call from AT+T that day and they said the person was running late and asked if i still wanted them to come that day.  I said i did.  I never ended up seeing them.  The next day I get a voice mail asking if my service is fixed.  I'm thinking ??!? no one ever showed up?  I started messing around though and I really haven't seen any issues since then.  So either someone showed up and did something outside or this is one crazy coincidence.  I'm cautiously optimistic at this point, service has been very good.   I did see the issue once but it was really bad not the 'sort of' bad it was before and a reboot fixed that.  So hopefully i am all set, but if I do have any more problems I will let you know.

17 of 19 (6,296 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2011 4:22:08 PM
(0)
Contributor

Any updates?  I've been dealing with this issue for months, changed HDMI cables twice, tried swapping my DVR, and still not fixed!  Seems like it goes away for a few weeks/months and then it's real bad again, happening once every couple minutes.  Was really worried it might be my AVR, but I've never had an issue with any other audio/video HDMI source like DVD/Blu-Ray, etc.

Curious if you and/or AT&T was able to do anything to make this right, thanks so much!

Any updates?  I've been dealing with this issue for months, changed HDMI cables twice, tried swapping my DVR, and still not fixed!  Seems like it goes away for a few weeks/months and then it's real bad again, happening once every couple minutes.  Was really worried it might be my AVR, but I've never had an issue with any other audio/video HDMI source like DVD/Blu-Ray, etc.

Curious if you and/or AT&T was able to do anything to make this right, thanks so much!

18 of 19 (5,891 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2011 5:27:01 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Contact David by clicking on the hyperlink in my sig.  He is a premesis tech who has helped a lot of people.  Send him your info and he or a member of his staff will be in touch with you.

Contact David by clicking on the hyperlink in my sig.  He is a premesis tech who has helped a lot of people.  Send him your info and he or a member of his staff will be in touch with you.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

19 of 19 (5,881 Views)