Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

Questions about your Smartphone data usage? Please join us here for a live “Ask an Expert” event on Wednesday, August 24th from 1-5 pm ET / 10am-2pm PT.

U-verse Forums

Posted Dec 7, 2010
6:04:58 AM
View profile
Shows erased even after KEEP UNTIL I DELETE selected

For some reason some programs I (thought) I had protected from erasure when the Hard Drive got full were deleted.  I had changed the default setting from Erase when space needed to Keep until I delete months ago.  No warning (exclamation point) that I saw either beforehand. 

The kicker, to me, is that there were plenty of programs not so protected that could have been erased to make way for new recordings, yet they were left alone.

Anyone?

For some reason some programs I (thought) I had protected from erasure when the Hard Drive got full were deleted.  I had changed the default setting from Erase when space needed to Keep until I delete months ago.  No warning (exclamation point) that I saw either beforehand. 

The kicker, to me, is that there were plenty of programs not so protected that could have been erased to make way for new recordings, yet they were left alone.

Anyone?

Shows erased even after KEEP UNTIL I DELETE selected

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 7, 2010 10:54:44 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

It is my understanding that the oldest recording would be deleted unless it was set to "keep until I delete".  Did any of your other recordings have the esclamation point?  If not then some type of software error could have ocurred and your recordings weren't protected.

I know this suggestion is offered quite a bit, and you may have already done it.  Have you tried to hard reboot of your dvr?

It is my understanding that the oldest recording would be deleted unless it was set to "keep until I delete".  Did any of your other recordings have the esclamation point?  If not then some type of software error could have ocurred and your recordings weren't protected.

I know this suggestion is offered quite a bit, and you may have already done it.  Have you tried to hard reboot of your dvr?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Shows erased even after KEEP UNTIL I DELETE selected

2 of 7 (927 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2010 5:53:54 AM
(0)
Scholar

I've rebooted the DVR on many occasions since I attempted to protect certain recordings. 

As to other recordings having the exclamation point, I cannot say:  These programs were deleted while I was out of town for Thanksgiving.  Certainly before I left there were no warnings of imminent erasure.

Alas....Smiley Sad

I've rebooted the DVR on many occasions since I attempted to protect certain recordings. 

As to other recordings having the exclamation point, I cannot say:  These programs were deleted while I was out of town for Thanksgiving.  Certainly before I left there were no warnings of imminent erasure.

Alas....Smiley Sad

3 of 7 (874 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 8, 2010 9:55:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Those dreaded "Exclamation points" can really creep up on you.  My wife does record Oprah, The Doctors, Dr. Oz, Ellen and Baggage (GSN) every day, M-F.  If she lets them build up, the "!" can pop up even when it appears that there is lots of space left.

txnroger - maybe an email warning system for when shows will be deleted?  Seriously!  They can do that for bank accounts why not my DVR?

Those dreaded "Exclamation points" can really creep up on you.  My wife does record Oprah, The Doctors, Dr. Oz, Ellen and Baggage (GSN) every day, M-F.  If she lets them build up, the "!" can pop up even when it appears that there is lots of space left.

txnroger - maybe an email warning system for when shows will be deleted?  Seriously!  They can do that for bank accounts why not my DVR?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 7 (843 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 6:29:12 PM
(0)
Expert

There must be a formula because I'm getting them at 14% whereas at 20% I wasn't. Smiley Surprised  They are all marked Keep Until I Delete. 

I look at it as a warning that recordings need to be watched, or erased, because if you have that many unwatched, you probably won't ever watch them. Smiley Wink

But some kind of warning would be great because you'll never know you're at capacity for recordings to be deleted unless you look at ALL of your recordings listed.

I'd settle for a popup message on the screen (optional opt-in since some would complain about a popup).

There must be a formula because I'm getting them at 14% whereas at 20% I wasn't. Smiley Surprised  They are all marked Keep Until I Delete. 

I look at it as a warning that recordings need to be watched, or erased, because if you have that many unwatched, you probably won't ever watch them. Smiley Wink

But some kind of warning would be great because you'll never know you're at capacity for recordings to be deleted unless you look at ALL of your recordings listed.

I'd settle for a popup message on the screen (optional opt-in since some would complain about a popup).

5 of 7 (791 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 6:39:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Maybe that is one of the many things that are on tap for next year that TXNR was referring to.

Maybe that is one of the many things that are on tap for next year that TXNR was referring to.

6 of 7 (783 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 10, 2010 6:55:05 PM
(0)
Expert

Smiley Wink

Smiley Wink

7 of 7 (774 Views)