Ask a question

Posted Feb 6, 2009
1:05:47 PM
View profile
Setting up a new wireless router

I've checked around and saw several postings on how to setup your own wireless router behind the RG.      I have a Linksys WRT54GC router that I cannot get to configure and it has been reset.    If I connect it to the RG, it fails to do anything.   If I try to connect to it with a standalone system that is setup with a static IP in the same range as this router (192.168.1.1) off the network, the PC doesn't see it.    What am I doing wrong?    Are there any routers that anyone recommends that I could configure without issue out of the box?    I want to be able to assign DNS to a device that works with DHCP only and doesn't allow for static assignments.    I don't need a fancy router, just something that I can get configured.

Thank you!

Setting up a new wireless router

1 reply
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(1)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2009 2:22:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

keiffers wrote:

I've checked around and saw several postings on how to setup your own wireless router behind the RG.      I have a Linksys WRT54GC router that I cannot get to configure and it has been reset.    If I connect it to the RG, it fails to do anything.   If I try to connect to it with a standalone system that is setup with a static IP in the same range as this router (192.168.1.1) off the network, the PC doesn't see it.    What am I doing wrong?    Are there any routers that anyone recommends that I could configure without issue out of the box?    I want to be able to assign DNS to a device that works with DHCP only and doesn't allow for static assignments.    I don't need a fancy router, just something that I can get configured.

Thank you!

This is what I did to use an "internal" router. I set my "internal" router to use DHCP for the WAN address, plugged it's WAN port in to the RG, let the RG assign a local address to the "internal" router and then set that address to the DMZ in the RG. When I go to the "internal" router it shows as having the same WAN, gateway, and DNS addresses that the RG uses.

I set the "internal" router to assign addresses to "my" side of the network in a different IP range than what the RG uses (192.168.2.* instead of 192.168.1.*) but using the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0). My internet works fine with no interuptions and local network tasks (back ups, streaming, etc.) work as expected. I can also still access the RG from "my" side of the network when I need to without having to change any network settings or swap any cables. Leave DHCP running on the RG. You do not need to disable the firewall in the RG as the DMZ will open a pinhole through it to the address you pick (your internal router). Make sure to turn off the wireless in the RG.

As for the STBs they should be run straight out of the RG with CAT5 or RG6 Coax.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Setting up a new wireless router

2 of 2 (318 Views)