Setting U-verse Modem in Bridge Mode

Contributor

Setting U-verse Modem in Bridge Mode

Hello Forum Folks,

I'm preparing to switch from DSL Internet Srv to U-verse. Currently I have a Westell DSL Modem bridged to a Linksys Mdl.#WRT54GS Router.

Rather than deal with the confusion at time of install I'm trying do some leg work up front to avoid Internet down time.

I have talk to a Tech @ AT&T Level-2 Tech Support (these are the guys that normally assist the Install Techs out in the Field & not the general customer or end user) he told me as a general rule that the U-verse Modem couldn't be put into a True Bridge Mode, However, he did say that I could access the modem's setup & set the modem to DMZ+ Mode, this basically disables the Firewall. He sent me 3 Emails, this 1st Email did state that this applies only to PPPoE applications for all 2-Wire Gateway Models. The other 2 Emails he sent have Links that go directly to the Modem Setup Interface, which I can't use until I get the modem plugged into my network, but he said he thought these would be helpful to me & the Install Tech when we get the modem plugged in.

Now, with all that said I'm hoping someone can advice me if they have had a similar Install & if they came up with a workable solution, & if so, what is it?

I'm also wondering if I should request a specific U-verse Modem when I place the order. One that would make the Bridge easier to achieve.

Bottom Line, I just want the U-verse Modem to act like a Gateway, & feed the U-verse signal Direct to my Router & allow my Router to control All the Functions & Security to my network.

Anyone's help would be Greatly appreciated!

JGBbMe

Message 1 of 9
Scholar

Re: Setting U-verse Modem in Bridge Mode

The instrux you got for DMZ+ mode sound accurate.

If your Linksys is configured to initiate a PPPoE connection on your existing DSL modem which is set in bridged mode - before you plug that LInksys' WAN port into the newly provided Uverse 2wire 3800 RG, you will want to reconfigure the WAN port on your Linksys to get its IP address simply via DHCP.

Uverse doesn't use PPPoE tunneling.

As an aside - you will only need to put your Linksys in DMZ+ mode if you really need a publicly routable IP address assigned to your Linksys - so as t oallow inbound connections.

If your aren't running an interneal web server, remote access, or other various needs for inbound connections - you really don't need to monkey with the DMZ+ mode.  Just turn off PPPoE settings on your Linksys, reboot it, and plug it into your new Uverse multifunction device that AT&T provides.

Oh, and if you are using the wireless on your Linksys, you might want to log into your Uverse RG and turn it's wireless off to reduce confusion and wireless interference.

Message 2 of 9

http://utalk.att.com/t5/High-Speed-Internet-Access/Linksys-WRG54t-router/m-p/108601#M8149

As I've not had Uverse fo almost 18 months, and thus no access to an actual RG, some of the settings I've described in my post (descriptive function names and page location in the RG) may have changed slightly, but should get you headed in the right direction.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.

Message 3 of 9
Tutor

I have a somewhat related question. I have U-Verse and have for about 4 months now. I also want to use my own router, which has 802.11n. I have taken the steps listed in various posts about putting my router in the DMZ etc. and connectivitty has not been a problem. However, download speed has. If I download straight over wireless through 2wire I get up to 1.4 mb/s. With my own router through 2wire I get around 470 kb/s tops. I know when it was initially installed I was getting uo to 1.4 mb/s through my router, however for whatever reason my 2wire was rebooted and the settings lost. I know when I called in shortly after the install tier 2 tech support was able to put my 2wire RG into "router behind router" mode. Now when I call tech support they all pretend not to know what "router behind router mode" is and want me to pay for the Connect Tech service.

As far as I can tell my router is in DMZ+ mode and is set to DHCP, just as described in the link above. Like I said, my connection is good, just download speeds are slower than what they should be. Any ideas?

Message 4 of 9

cmbeard wrote:

I have a somewhat related question. I have U-Verse and have for about 4 months now. I also want to use my own router, which has 802.11n. I have taken the steps listed in various posts about putting my router in the DMZ etc. and connectivitty has not been a problem. However, download speed has. If I download straight over wireless through 2wire I get up to 1.4 mb/s. With my own router through 2wire I get around 470 kb/s tops. I know when it was initially installed I was getting uo to 1.4 mb/s through my router, however for whatever reason my 2wire was rebooted and the settings lost. I know when I called in shortly after the install tier 2 tech support was able to put my 2wire RG into "router behind router" mode. Now when I call tech support they all pretend not to know what "router behind router mode" is and want me to pay for the Connect Tech service.

As far as I can tell my router is in DMZ+ mode and is set to DHCP, just as described in the link above. Like I said, my connection is good, just download speeds are slower than what they should be. Any ideas?

What kind of distances from each router. Are you shutting down the radio on the 2WIRE? Is the "N" router MIMO? What frequency are you using on the "N" Router? Higher frequencies such as found on "N" routers are more likely to suffer from range issues if there are a lot of walls and such through which it must pass compared to the 2.4 GHz of the "G" routers. I assume that you must have the absolute lowest package for the Uverse internet available (with the speeds your reporting).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 5 of 9
Tutor

Computer-Joe wrote:

What kind of distances from each router. Are you shutting down the radio on the 2WIRE? Is the "N" router MIMO? What frequency are you using on the "N" Router? Higher frequencies such as found on "N" routers are more likely to suffer from range issues if there are a lot of walls and such through which it must pass compared to the 2.4 GHz of the "G" routers. I assume that you must have the absolute lowest package for the Uverse internet available (with the speeds your reporting).

Yes, I am shutting down the radio on the 2WIRE. The N router is MIMO, it's a D-Link DIR-655. I notice these speeds even when I am in the same room as the N router, so walls etc. shouldn't be an issue. My Uverse internet package is 12.0. Just for kicks I disabled this router and turned on the radio for 2WIRE and connected via wireless. While the download speeds varry between 500 kb/s and 1.2 mb/s, I am seeing higher speeds with the 2WIRE. It almost seems as if the 2WIRE is throtteling my N router.

Message 6 of 9

cmbeard wrote:

Yes, I am shutting down the radio on the 2WIRE. The N router is MIMO, it's a D-Link DIR-655. I notice these speeds even when I am in the same room as the N router, so walls etc. shouldn't be an issue. My Uverse internet package is 12.0. Just for kicks I disabled this router and turned on the radio for 2WIRE and connected via wireless. While the download speeds varry between 500 kb/s and 1.2 mb/s, I am seeing higher speeds with the 2WIRE. It almost seems as if the 2WIRE is throtteling my N router.

Just for kicks, what kind of speeds do you get when you hardwire to the RG (ethernet cable instead of wireless).

With the 12 Mbs package you should be seeing at least 10 Mbs wired or wireless.

Message 7 of 9
Scholar

Or for further fun - hard wire into your 802.11n router and run a speed test - to make certain you don't have a cabling issue.

If you are getting full speed on the wired connections - but not on the wireless, then you need to look for RF interference issues, or it could be a problem with your 802.11n wireless card in your computer - or your computers settings.

A lot of users have found wild variations in wireless performance on XP.  There is a tool you can find frequently discussed on DSLReports (something like Dr. TCP) or the such that can help you tune up / tweak Windows XP's wireless settings.

I would start with a wire... and work backwards and the source of your trouble should become apparent pretty quickly.

Message 8 of 9

bsdsmb wrote:

Or for further fun - hard wire into your 802.11n router and run a speed test - to make certain you don't have a cabling issue.

If you are getting full speed on the wired connections - but not on the wireless, then you need to look for RF interference issues, or it could be a problem with your 802.11n wireless card in your computer - or your computers settings.

A lot of users have found wild variations in wireless performance on XP.  There is a tool you can find frequently discussed on DSLReports (something like Dr. TCP) or the such that can help you tune up / tweak Windows XP's wireless settings.

I would start with a wire... and work backwards and the source of your trouble should become apparent pretty quickly.

That's another thing. In laptops it's a possibility that the antenna wire came off the mini-pci wireless card. That would definately put a crimp on performance.

Message 9 of 9
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support