Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Sep 5, 2008
9:24:18 PM
View profile
Setting Modem in Bridge Mode

Hi all,

I have a modem and it needs to be set in bridge mode and re configure my router with it. I already know how to set my modem in bridge mode, but i do not know what to do after that. I have a Netgear router connected together with my modem. My modem needs to be set in bridge mode, so port forwarding, triggering, UnPnP, and my DMZ server works . Please look at my thread on the netgear forums. Which is here:  http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=28906

In one of the moderators post reply to my thread they said 

"CALLL ISP.. ask for assistance for bridge mode!!!!!

setup PPPoE on netgear router and DONE."

My ISP is att of course, but i cannot really call att because i am 16, but understand much much more about this stuff than my parents. So, can someone help me with this issue? All i need to know is what to do after my modem is set in bridge mode...

Hi all,

I have a modem and it needs to be set in bridge mode and re configure my router with it. I already know how to set my modem in bridge mode, but i do not know what to do after that. I have a Netgear router connected together with my modem. My modem needs to be set in bridge mode, so port forwarding, triggering, UnPnP, and my DMZ server works . Please look at my thread on the netgear forums. Which is here:  http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?t=28906

In one of the moderators post reply to my thread they said 

"CALLL ISP.. ask for assistance for bridge mode!!!!!

setup PPPoE on netgear router and DONE."

My ISP is att of course, but i cannot really call att because i am 16, but understand much much more about this stuff than my parents. So, can someone help me with this issue? All i need to know is what to do after my modem is set in bridge mode...

Setting Modem in Bridge Mode

6 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(6)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 6, 2008 11:43:34 AM
(0)
Professor
You must have AT&T ADSL and not U-verse since the U-verse VDSL modem can't be put into bridge mode and doesn't use PPPoE.  Which modem do you have?  Are you sure you are putting in the right username and password into your router for the PPPoE session to initiate?
You must have AT&T ADSL and not U-verse since the U-verse VDSL modem can't be put into bridge mode and doesn't use PPPoE.  Which modem do you have?  Are you sure you are putting in the right username and password into your router for the PPPoE session to initiate?

Re: Setting Modem in Bridge Mode

2 of 7 (5,625 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 7, 2008 3:53:26 PM
(0)
Tutor

kidbeast,

You are being thrown off by the instruction that says PPPoE will no longer be used.  It will be used, but it will be used at the router instead of at the modem.  Make sure you know the ID and password of the account.  Make sure you know how to access the router setup page.  Set the modem to Bridged Mode.  It will reboot.  Now your router will have to be switched to PPPoE.  Your router is probably set now for Dynamic IP from ISP.  I'm going by the setting on my router.  Log onto the router setup page and change the Dynamic IP setting to PPPoE.  As soon as you make that switch the router setup will supply spaces for you to enter the ID and password that were stored on the modem.  Then it will probably reboot and all will be fine.

I hate to see you getting the runaround, so I hope this works.

kidbeast,

You are being thrown off by the instruction that says PPPoE will no longer be used.  It will be used, but it will be used at the router instead of at the modem.  Make sure you know the ID and password of the account.  Make sure you know how to access the router setup page.  Set the modem to Bridged Mode.  It will reboot.  Now your router will have to be switched to PPPoE.  Your router is probably set now for Dynamic IP from ISP.  I'm going by the setting on my router.  Log onto the router setup page and change the Dynamic IP setting to PPPoE.  As soon as you make that switch the router setup will supply spaces for you to enter the ID and password that were stored on the modem.  Then it will probably reboot and all will be fine.

I hate to see you getting the runaround, so I hope this works.

3 of 7 (5,625 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2008 4:26:32 PM
(0)
Contributor

I'm working on doing the same thing possibly for fixing a NAT type 3 problem with my ps3. The only thing is I can't find the domain name assigned to my comp. The host name I have.

does ATT require to have both to set up a bridge modem?

thx

I'm working on doing the same thing possibly for fixing a NAT type 3 problem with my ps3. The only thing is I can't find the domain name assigned to my comp. The host name I have.

thx

4 of 7 (5,625 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2008 4:55:19 PM
(0)
Professor

paulrevere wrote:

thx

Are you using AT&T ADSL or U-verse?

paulrevere wrote:

thx

Are you using AT&T ADSL or U-verse?

5 of 7 (5,625 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2010 7:37:00 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hello Kidbeast,

I assume from the date of your post you've already resolved your problem ( I Hope).

However, within your post you stated that you already knew how to set your U-verse modem to Bridge Mode.

Well it just so happens that I'm preparing to switch from DSL Internet Srv to U-verse, and I have pretty much the same situation. Currently I have a Westell DSL Modem bridged to a Linksys Mdl.#WRT54GS Router.

Rather than deal with the confusion at time of install I'm trying do some leg work up front to avoid Internet down time.

I have talk to a Tech @ AT&T Level-2 Tech Support (these are the guys that normally assist the Install Techs out in the Field & not the general customer or end user) he told me as a general rule That the U-verse Modem couldn't be put into a True Bridge Mode, However, he did say that I could access the modem setup & set the Modem to

DMZ+ Mode, this basically disables the Firewall. He sent me 3 Emails, this 1st Email did state that this applies only to PPPoE applications for all 2-Wire Gateway Models. The other 2 Emails he sent have Links that go directly to the Modem Setup interface, which I can't use until I get the modem plugged into my network, but he said he thought these would be helpful to me & the Install Tech when we get the modem plugged in.

Now, with all that said I'm hoping someone can advice me if they have had a similar Install & if they came up with a workable solution, & if so, what is it?

I'm also wondering if I should request a specific U-verse Modem when I place the order. One that would make the Bridge easier to achieve.

Bottom Line, I just want the U-verse Modem to act like a Gateway, & feed the U-verse signal Direct to my Router & allow my Router to control All the Functions & Security to my network.

Anyone's help would be Greatly appreciated!

JGBbMe

Hello Kidbeast,

I assume from the date of your post you've already resolved your problem ( I Hope).

However, within your post you stated that you already knew how to set your U-verse modem to Bridge Mode.

Well it just so happens that I'm preparing to switch from DSL Internet Srv to U-verse, and I have pretty much the same situation. Currently I have a Westell DSL Modem bridged to a Linksys Mdl.#WRT54GS Router.

Rather than deal with the confusion at time of install I'm trying do some leg work up front to avoid Internet down time.

I have talk to a Tech @ AT&T Level-2 Tech Support (these are the guys that normally assist the Install Techs out in the Field & not the general customer or end user) he told me as a general rule That the U-verse Modem couldn't be put into a True Bridge Mode, However, he did say that I could access the modem setup & set the Modem to

DMZ+ Mode, this basically disables the Firewall. He sent me 3 Emails, this 1st Email did state that this applies only to PPPoE applications for all 2-Wire Gateway Models. The other 2 Emails he sent have Links that go directly to the Modem Setup interface, which I can't use until I get the modem plugged into my network, but he said he thought these would be helpful to me & the Install Tech when we get the modem plugged in.

Now, with all that said I'm hoping someone can advice me if they have had a similar Install & if they came up with a workable solution, & if so, what is it?

I'm also wondering if I should request a specific U-verse Modem when I place the order. One that would make the Bridge easier to achieve.

Bottom Line, I just want the U-verse Modem to act like a Gateway, & feed the U-verse signal Direct to my Router & allow my Router to control All the Functions & Security to my network.

JGBbMe

6 of 7 (5,625 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2010 7:16:53 AM
(0)
Expert

There is no way to request a specific modem/RG from ATT.

PPPoE, I don't know about that, but if you are just wanting to use your current router behind the UV RG (router/gateway/modem), that can be done.

Koolkid never did get an answer from the OP as to whether he had ADSL or VDSL (UV).

Are you planning on getting TV service as well, or just HSI?

JGBbMe wrote:

Hello Kidbeast,

I have talk to a Tech @ AT&T Level-2 Tech Support (these are the guys that normally assist the Install Techs out in the Field & not the general customer or end user) he told me as a general rule That the U-verse Modem couldn't be put into a True Bridge Mode.

However, he did say that I could access the modem setup & set the Modem to

DMZ+ Mode, this basically disables the Firewall. He sent me 3 Emails, this 1st Email did state that this applies only to PPPoE applications for all 2-Wire Gateway Models.

The other 2 Emails he sent have Links that go directly to the Modem Setup interface, which I can't use until I get the modem plugged into my network, but he said he thought these would be helpful to me & the Install Tech when we get the modem plugged in.

JGBbMe

There is no way to request a specific modem/RG from ATT.

PPPoE, I don't know about that, but if you are just wanting to use your current router behind the UV RG (router/gateway/modem), that can be done.

Koolkid never did get an answer from the OP as to whether he had ADSL or VDSL (UV).

Are you planning on getting TV service as well, or just HSI?

JGBbMe wrote:

Hello Kidbeast,

I have talk to a Tech @ AT&T Level-2 Tech Support (these are the guys that normally assist the Install Techs out in the Field & not the general customer or end user) he told me as a general rule That the U-verse Modem couldn't be put into a True Bridge Mode.

However, he did say that I could access the modem setup & set the Modem to

DMZ+ Mode, this basically disables the Firewall. He sent me 3 Emails, this 1st Email did state that this applies only to PPPoE applications for all 2-Wire Gateway Models.

The other 2 Emails he sent have Links that go directly to the Modem Setup interface, which I can't use until I get the modem plugged into my network, but he said he thought these would be helpful to me & the Install Tech when we get the modem plugged in.

JGBbMe

7 of 7 (5,625 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments