Service dropping intermittently

Tutor

Service dropping intermittently

Over the past couple of weeks we have been having intermittent drops of service.  The picture on the screen freezes and then when the service reconnects everything goes on like nothing happened.  During these drops the internet connection wont work, but my computer shows that it is still connected.  These outages usually only last about 30secs to a minute, but in the past few days we have had a couple that last an hour or more.  During the longer outages, the computer connection drops eventually.

I talked to a tech and she said we may be getting a weak signal to the house.  She has dispatched a line tech for Monday.  I just want to find out if there is anything I can try before then to see if that may not be the issue.

Message 1 of 16 (1,579 Views)

Re: Service dropping intermittently

Download http://www.uverserealtime.com/.  You can then post shots from the IP Profile, Bitloading and Coax tabs.  

Someone here might be able to figure out the problem from that information.

Message 2 of 16 (1,528 Views)
Tutor

Message 3 of 16 (1,504 Views)
ACE - Expert

[ Edited ]

jdheald wrote:

Over the past couple of weeks we have been having intermittent drops of service.  The picture on the screen freezes and then when the service reconnects everything goes on like nothing happened.  During these drops the internet connection wont work, but my computer shows that it is still connected.  These outages usually only last about 30secs to a minute, but in the past few days we have had a couple that last an hour or more.  During the longer outages, the computer connection drops eventually.

I talked to a tech and she said we may be getting a weak signal to the house.  She has dispatched a line tech for Monday.  I just want to find out if there is anything I can try before then to see if that may not be the issue.

See this ScottMac post about sources of interference that can cause interference and interupt Uverse:

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features/Service-Call-for-CAT-5-wiring-vs-Coaxial/m-p/2235413#M371 Smiley Wink

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-866-465-1496 for direct TS to avoid Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 16 (1,494 Views)
Tutor

The problem is, this is not a new installation.  I have had Uverse for years with no issues, until now.  Nothing has changed inside the house at all.  From my specs, does it look like packet loss?

Message 5 of 16 (1,487 Views)
ACE - Expert

If you read the post, it isn't just your house, it could be any neighbor in the same local transformer circuit.  Something could now be different and causing the problems, forget about the packet loss, look at sources of interference.

What you posted doesn't show anything wrong, looks real good actually.  Do you see anything other than corrected blocks or 31 DSL Unavailable Seconds on this stats/info page?:

http://192.168.1.254/xslt?PAGE=C_1_0

If so, copy/paste here. Smiley Wink

Chris

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 16 (1,477 Views)
Tutor

Just 34 DSL unavailable seconds...nothing else.

Message 7 of 16 (1,463 Views)
ACE - Expert

If the stats on that page are a short period, that's how long ago the RG rebooted. 

I'd call TS on the # in my sig and see what they see on your line if anything (as they can see more than we can) that would explain this interruption problem.  Good luck Smiley Wink

Chris

Message 8 of 16 (1,456 Views)
Tutor

OK, so TS sent out a line guy Monday to look at the line coming into my house because she said I was getting a weak signal.  The line guy showed up and said he would look at it, but that he had checked out the signal already and it looked fine.  I was on my way out, so I never spoke to the line guy again.  Tuesday morning I rebooted the RG and everything seemed to work fine through the morning.  Then my wife told me this morning that the service was still dropping intermittently, but it was coming back up very quickly.  I witnessed two drops in the last half hour and they took only about 10 secs or so to come back up.  I looked at my Uverse Realtime program and something looks different now.  See below.  Any thoughts?

Message 9 of 16 (1,337 Views)
ACE - Expert

Your UverseRealtime stats look great at the time you took them.  It would be good to snap a sample while the problem is occuring.  I would also post your output from the WAN and LAN statistics pages (can't post links as I'm not inside my U-verse network and can't get to my RG) here as soon as possible following a problem period.

You may well have an intermittent interference problem that could be anything.

Your #2 and #3 lines look "weird" because given the MAC's I'm thinking they're the same box.  I'm really thinking that may be a bug in UverseRealtime, but only SomeJoe7777 could tell us for sure.

Message 10 of 16 (1,328 Views)
Tutor

Before the line tech came out, all the stats below were zeros, except for the DSL Unavailable seconds.

DSL Link Errors

Collected for 1Day1:37:44

SinceCurrentCurrentTime Since

DSL
Link Retrains13301:22:48
DSL Training Errors0000:00:00
Training Timeouts0000:00:00
Loss of Framing Failures0000:00:00
Loss of Signal Failures5401:23:26
Loss of Power Failures0000:00:00
Loss of Margin Failures0000:00:00
Cu#. Seconds w/Errors45601:23:26
Cu#. Sec. w/Severe Errors35601:23:26
Corrected Blocks68802715985601:20:47
Uncorrectable Blocks10461231801:23:26
DSL Unavailable Seconds4038101:22:21
Message 11 of 16 (821 Views)
ACE - Expert

Something is up with your connection between the VRAD and your RG.  When you have signal, you have good signal, but you're having episodes when it is going to pot.

The last time was about an hour and 22 minutes before you did this capture.  Were you running a drill, microwave, phone call on a POTS line, anything?

Message 12 of 16 (806 Views)
Tutor

None of the above were going on.  Do you know what is up with the coax connection on Realtime that is showing 0?  Is that part of it?  It wasn't like that in my first screenshot and then, after the line tech came, now it is.

Message 13 of 16 (800 Views)
ACE - Expert

Not really.  It may go away if you reset your RG (or might not).  It wouldn't bother me a lot.

Given that you have demonstrated issues on the way into your RG, I would focus on getting that cleared up.  If that doesn't fix your problems, then I'd start looking inside again.

Message 14 of 16 (792 Views)
Tutor

So do you think it is an interference problem?

Message 15 of 16 (790 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.