Self-Install Activation - Outside Hookup

Explorer

Self-Install Activation - Outside Hookup

Ok, I have AT&T DSL and POTS and just pulled the trigger on Uverse HSI Max and Voice as a self-install.  Anyway, I've wired a Cat5e cable directly from my proposed RG location to the NID and it's just sitting in there unterminated.  I was originally thinking of leaving a note on my outside box to tell the tech to hook up with my new cat5e cable.  Now, I'm thinking that may not be such a good idea because I'd probably lose my current DSL and POTS service until I activated.  So here are my questions:

1) How does the outside hookup/activation process work when you currently have DSL (I have  DSL splitter on the NID outside the house so I have one twisted pair for DSL and one for phone)?  If they hookup to my existing phone wiring, will my current DSL and phone continue to work until I actually activate?

2) Would it be smarter to just hold off on hooking up my homerun Cat5e cable to the NID until everything is already working using my existing wiring?

3) My activation is scheduled for Christmas Eve (nice...).  Is there any problem with waiting a day or two to do the activation?  This might already be answered by question 1.

Message 1 of 10 (6,047 Views)
Contributor

Re: Self-Install Activation - Outside Hookup

I am in a simular situation.  I currently have DSL now and waiting on the install. It's 5:42 pm  now and an automated phone call said it would be ready by 8:00 PM today.  So far my DSL is still working but I have already tried to  switch the phone line to the box and nothing.  (I have a self install kit and I live in a Apt). 

Message 2 of 10 (6,009 Views)
Explorer

I'd be interested to hear how it goes. For some reason, they appear to be hard over on the 8pm start time - not sure the reason.

Message 3 of 10 (5,977 Views)
Contributor

OK SIR. HOLD OFF UNTIIL THE TIME ATT GUYS TOLD YOU SO. EXAMPLE:IF THEY TOLD YOU AT 7:00AM DO SO.

AT 7:00 UNHOOK YOUR OLD GATEWAY, AND HOOK UP THE NEW ONE, WAIT FOR FULL HIGH-SPEED AT LEAST FOR 15 MINUTES THEN SURF THE INTERNET. YOU'LL HAVE THE FULL SPEED APPROX. 45 MINUTES AFTER THE INSTALATION OF NEW MODEM.

IF YOU WANT YOU MAY UNHOOK THE OLD AND HOOK UP THE NEW BEFORE THE SCHEDULE TIME, WON'T HURT, BUT FULL HIGH-SPEED YOU WILL NOT HAVE UNTIL AFTER 7AM.

P.S.

DO NOT UNHOOK THE OLD MODEM TO THE NEW, YOU WON'T BE ABLE SURF THE INTERNET "BY THE NEW ONE UNTIL THE TIME IS UP", MEAN 7:00 AM.

Message 4 of 10 (5,935 Views)
Explorer

I thought the actual swithover from DSL to Uverse was done during the activation process.  Are you saying it just automatically occurs at the time AT&T says (8 pm), and that my original DSL and phone will discontinue working at that point even if I don't activate until later?   Seems like that wouldn't be the case since I have to use my old POTS phone to call in to activate.

On the hardware side, I assume what they'll do is just replace my current ADSL splitter with a VDSL splitter and use my current wiring which is fine since I think my current DSL and phone will continue to work until I switch.  I can rewire with my cat5e drop at a later time.  Might be interesting to see if there is any performance improvement going from my 40-year old house phone wiring to a new cat5e cable.

Message 5 of 10 (5,902 Views)
Contributor

Well as I suspected they didn't get it working.  I finallly got them to come out after almost 2 hours on the phone to the tech explaining there is no way they hooked up my Uverse Internet if my DSL still works as they can't work on the same line (as i understand it). I said " the hose is hooked to the wrong faucet" Well they sent a tech out that night then he calls me and says he can't come out becuase it was never hooked up because my DSL still works.. "DUhhhhhhh I know!!!". So I call ATT again and explain my situation they get someone to come out the next day (the same guy that called the night before) He comes out and tried but could not get it to work. Said "he needs to call the cable guy" (att cable guy).  So I leave  because i am traveling for the holidays. Then in my car ATT calls and asks "if everything went ok?"  "No, he couldn't get it to work".   They are sending another guy out Monday (when I am back home).   But at least my 2.5Mbit DSL works .3Mbit upload still works! (he hooked it backup the way he found it)

Message 6 of 10 (5,799 Views)
Explorer

[ Edited ]

Interesting.  The ATT ordering/setup system seems to need work to put it mildly.  In my situation, I happened to be home the day there were to setup Uverse Internet and Voice.   Only thing I ever saw was a card on my front door from the Prem Tech saying the signal was "ready".  No changes were made to the wiring on my house - didn't touch the DSL splitter.  My internet went down but my POTS voice continued to work.  Activation after 8pm went smooth until I tried to activate the Voice - it tried to activate some strange phone number I'd never heard of.  I had requested the same phone number and somehow they screwed that up in the ordering process.  So, I didn't activate the new number and of course the tech I talked to on the phone couldn't fix it and I need to wait until Monday for someone who can.  At least, my POTS phone service is still working.

I'm confused why they left my outside DSL splitter. I would have thought they would at least bypass it.  I actually bypassed it myself since I had that cat5e cable already in the NID - I just hooked it up to the two incoming wires that are also feeding the DSL splitter and the hooked that up to the RG.  I don't know what would have happened if I had tried to hook up the RG to the DSL port (wired from the DSL splitter) in my house.  I might try it just to see.  Once I get the phone situation straightened out, I'll just disconnect the DSL splitter.  So far, the Internet speeds seem right.  I've got the 12/1.5 Max plan and speedtest.net gave me 11.4/1.4.  Uverse Real-time gave me pretty good stats with a 51 Mbs Max Rate.

Message 7 of 10 (5,752 Views)
Explorer

Well, I did try hooking up the RG through the DSL port just for fun.  It actually syncs up and works fine.  Uverse Realtime gives me slightly lower max rates (47Mbs vs 51 Mbs) and the bitloading graph shows some difference, but I'm guessing with Internet & voice only no one would really notice.

Message 8 of 10 (5,743 Views)
Contributor

Well after several days of trying they finally got my uverse internet working! I had four problems!. 1. First they never came out and actually phyically hooked it up and it was not labeled correctly. 2. They did not have my order in the system correctly. 3. They couldn't get my order correct even after they discovered it wasn't correct because the system was down. 4. My modem was bad and my replacement went bad but the third worked fine. I litterly saw the second one sync up and die.

One good thing the second tech didn't give up like the first kid did. He just gave up and I never heard from him again. The second tech kept on trying and trying until he got it working even brought out another one with him the last day.

Message 9 of 10 (5,508 Views)
Explorer

I hope others are having better success with the self-install than what we're hearing in this thread. It almost sounds easier to have a tech install due to all the problems.  In my case, I was finally able to get my original landline phone number transferred to Uverse Voice. When I finally got ahold of CS, the CSR said I'd have a tech visit to get that done and scheduled a visit which left me scratching my head.  I couldn't figure out why a tech was needed other than maybe to disconnect my DSL splitter on the outside of my house.  As it turns out (after having no one show up at my appointment time), there was no tech needed and they transferred my number the night before(be nice if they told me).  Only problem was my Voicemail was still on the other number!  Took me three days to get that straightened out but I think I'm finally up and running like I thought I would on day one.

Once my Uverse Voice was working, I went out and disconnected my DSL splitter and backfed the RG Voice output to a phone jack and now all my jacks in the house are active even though the self-install instructions imply this won't work.  Interestingly, I ran Uverse Realtime again, and my max rate jumped to 55Mbps.  Makes me think I should have tried the TV service....then again with all this trouble just for internet and voice, maybe not.

Message 10 of 10 (5,445 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.