STB goes into "sleep-mode" after a few hours of non-use

Scholar

STB goes into "sleep-mode" after a few hours of non-use

I'm not sure if this is common or not, but we have a couple of tv's that we leave on during the day for "background noise" while we are not home.  Everytime we do this, after being at work for about 9 hours, when I come home the tv is on the "blue AT&T" screen. 

Not sure if there is a setting that I can change or if there is nothing I can do.  Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 16 (1,929 Views)
Expert

Re: STB goes into "sleep-mode" after a few hours of non-use

gcotton wrote:

I'm not sure if this is common or not, but we have a couple of tv's that we leave on during the day for "background noise" while we are not home.  Everytime we do this, after being at work for about 9 hours, when I come home the tv is on the "blue AT&T" screen. 

Not sure if there is a setting that I can change or if there is nothing I can do.  Thanks in advance!

It is common.  A year or so ago ATT added the feature that if the stb has no interaction for 8 hours it will go into standby mode.  Several have posted the reason for this, but at this time there is no way to change or disable this feature.

Message 2 of 16 (1,926 Views)
Expert

This is normal.  The DVR/STB will go into standby mode after a few hours of inactivity.  This "feature" cannot be turned off.

Message 3 of 16 (1,926 Views)
Scholar

Thanks guys for the info so fast.  Hopefully this is something they will try and fix in the future.

Message 4 of 16 (1,926 Views)
Expert

It is not broken, they added this feature intentionally.

Message 5 of 16 (1,926 Views)
Mentor

They don't want you to use the system indefinitely when you're not present and watching, because you are using bandwidth, unlike (say) broadcast or cable where they are sending the signal all the time anyway. I had a IPTV box from a small startup whose name I have forgotten, they supplied Setanta in the US for a while before anyone else but then they folded. Anyway it would also shut down after a bit, for the same reason.

Plus energy savings, apparently (although the STB continues to send a signal to the TV, and the PVR will record.)

So this is not something they are going to 'fix'. Some of the more advanced programmable remotes with timers can be set to send  keypresses automatically to keep your STB awake. (I've never done it, but I have read posts elsewhere.)

It is even possible to rig something up using an IR 'eye' taped to the STB. For example, for SageTV users, there is an add-on utility: http://forums.sagetv.com/forums/downloads.php?do=file&id=246

Message 6 of 16 (1,926 Views)
Expert

Here is a thread that talked about the sleep mode and why it was initially implemented.  Energy Star compliance.

http://utalk.att.com/t5/Equipment/sleep-mode-on-Motorola-VIP1200-stb/m-p/59372#M12205

Message 7 of 16 (1,927 Views)
ACE - Master

I'd like to train my dog to press a key, to keep the picture going for him, since I leave it on for him.  He would try to bury the remote, instead.......  Seriously!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 16 (1,927 Views)
Expert

dhascall wrote:

I'd like to train my dog to press a key, to keep the picture going for him, since I leave it on for him.  He would try to bury the remote, instead.......  Seriously!

Not only that, he might accidentally press the power button and turn the tv and stb off.

Message 9 of 16 (1,927 Views)
Tutor

So, does it turn back on if a scheduled recording is about to start?

Message 10 of 16 (1,927 Views)
Expert

No.  The box doesn't turn all of the way off, so it can still record your scheduled programs.

Message 11 of 16 (1,784 Views)
Tutor

Sorry gang, AT&T chat just answered my question.  The tech told me that the receiver is only in standby mode and will restart to record something.  It's actually not off. It is in standby mode.

Message 12 of 16 (1,784 Views)
Expert

It doesn't turn back on but you can take his word for it.  I have only had Uverse for a short time anyway.

Message 13 of 16 (1,784 Views)
ACE - Expert

salparadise wrote:

Sorry gang, AT&T chat just answered my question.  The tech told me that the receiver is only in standby mode and will restart to record something.  It's actually not off. It is in standby mode.

That's true, only way it's 'off' is to unplug it. :smileyvery-happy:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
1-866-465-1496 for direct TS to avoid Mr. Voice recognition
Your Results May Vary, In My Humble Opinion
I Call It Like I See It, Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 14 of 16 (1,784 Views)
Highlighted
Teacher

FWIW, I guess many of us do that--leave a TV on a timer to the make the house seem occupied.  I see comments and complaints about this sleep function going back to 2008, so it isn't new.  Seems like our only choice is to add an antenna for when we are away.  And the TV we normally leave on is not a new HD or even one with a digital tuner, so we'll have to either get a converter and antenna or a new TV.

Bit pain.  This is the 3rd U-Verse drawback I've encountered.  Comcast is starting to look better.

Message 15 of 16 (1,745 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.