Ask a question
Search in U-verse Forums

U-verse Forums

Posted Oct 8, 2008
1:37:45 PM
View profile
Remote works off and on with the U-verse box

Here's a fun problem.  Our remote works intermittently with our box.  Sometimes the remote will only work if it is touching the U-verse box.  Other times it seems to work just fine.  We changed the remote batteries.  Nothing is blocking the "eye" of the box.  We even had a new box installed.  We bought longer cables to pull the box away from the TV and other AV equipment, and this seemed to help a little.  When the TV is off we can tell the remote is working because the little light on the box flashes when we hit buttons on the remote.  Our TV is a Sharp Aquos. Could it be the TV 

My next thought is that the gateway and battery back up are right behind the wall where the TV and AV equipment is.  Maybe if we move this equipment to another room this will fix the problem.

Has anyone had this problem? 

Here's a fun problem.  Our remote works intermittently with our box.  Sometimes the remote will only work if it is touching the U-verse box.  Other times it seems to work just fine.  We changed the remote batteries.  Nothing is blocking the "eye" of the box.  We even had a new box installed.  We bought longer cables to pull the box away from the TV and other AV equipment, and this seemed to help a little.  When the TV is off we can tell the remote is working because the little light on the box flashes when we hit buttons on the remote.  Our TV is a Sharp Aquos. Could it be the TV 

My next thought is that the gateway and battery back up are right behind the wall where the TV and AV equipment is.  Maybe if we move this equipment to another room this will fix the problem.

Has anyone had this problem? 

Remote works off and on with the U-verse box

32 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(32)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2008 2:38:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Call ts and request a new remote.  Many many people have had problems with their Uverse remotes, they called ts got new ones sent out and their problems were solved.
Call ts and request a new remote.  Many many people have had problems with their Uverse remotes, they called ts got new ones sent out and their problems were solved.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Remote works off and on with the U-verse box

2 of 33 (1,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2008 6:56:16 PM
(0)
Contributor
We thought that but we switched out our boxes from the other rooms with the same outcome. 
We thought that but we switched out our boxes from the other rooms with the same outcome. 

3 of 33 (1,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2008 7:18:59 PM
(0)
Scholar

I have been thru all of this, There is an interference between some HD TV's and ATT DVR.  Changing remotes or changing boxes will not solve your problem.  I learned this from at ATT IR tech in Wisconsin.  I have a Sony Bravia and the remote will not work with my ATT DVR,  I have had half a dozen techs and  one supervisor out and two Sony techs.  Get thirty or more layers of Glad Press n Seal, cut them about 3/4" high by 1 1/2" inches long and place this over your IR signal.  This will filter out any interference between the TV and the DVR. This works, I have been using it for four months now.  I have asked ATT to fix the problem, and there has been no interst in doing do.

Message Edited by Sonyman on 10-08-2008 07:24 PM
Message Edited by Sonyman on 10-08-2008 07:25 PM

I have been thru all of this, There is an interference between some HD TV's and ATT DVR.  Changing remotes or changing boxes will not solve your problem.  I learned this from at ATT IR tech in Wisconsin.  I have a Sony Bravia and the remote will not work with my ATT DVR,  I have had half a dozen techs and  one supervisor out and two Sony techs.  Get thirty or more layers of Glad Press n Seal, cut them about 3/4" high by 1 1/2" inches long and place this over your IR signal.  This will filter out any interference between the TV and the DVR. This works, I have been using it for four months now.  I have asked ATT to fix the problem, and there has been no interst in doing do.

4 of 33 (1,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2008 7:24:22 PM
(0)
Master

Sonyman wrote:

Changing remotes or changing boxes will not solve your problem.  I learned this from at ATT tech in Wisconsin.  I have a Sony Bravia and my remote will not work with my ATT DVR,  I have had half a dozen techs and  one supervisor out and two Sony techs.  Get thirty or more layers of Glad Press n Seal, cut them about 3/4" high by 1 1/2" inches long and place this over your IR signal.  This will filter out any interference between the TV and the DVR. This works, I have been using it for four months now.  I have asked ATT to fix the problem, and there has been no interst in doing do.

how the heck did ya figure that one out?...
Dennis

Sonyman wrote:

Changing remotes or changing boxes will not solve your problem.  I learned this from at ATT tech in Wisconsin.  I have a Sony Bravia and my remote will not work with my ATT DVR,  I have had half a dozen techs and  one supervisor out and two Sony techs.  Get thirty or more layers of Glad Press n Seal, cut them about 3/4" high by 1 1/2" inches long and place this over your IR signal.  This will filter out any interference between the TV and the DVR. This works, I have been using it for four months now.  I have asked ATT to fix the problem, and there has been no interst in doing do.

how the heck did ya figure that one out?...
Dennis

5 of 33 (1,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2008 7:26:59 PM
(0)
Scholar
Im learned it from an ATT IR tech in  Wisconsin, it works, it doesn't look pretty, but it works.
Im learned it from an ATT IR tech in  Wisconsin, it works, it doesn't look pretty, but it works.

6 of 33 (1,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2008 7:39:20 PM
(0)
Scholar

this is the reply from my previous thread from Mbritten, who is an ATT IR tech, this works:

I know exactly what your problem is.  It does not only affect your model of TV but actually a few LCD and some plasma TV of all different brands.

I had the same problem and it was quite frustrating, but the solution is very simple.

As it turns out, some TV put out a lot of IR interference, and the DVRs are senstive enough to pick it up.  Here is how to fix it, and I know sounds strange, but trust me.

I used about 20 layers of Glad Press n Seal wrap, stack them out and cut a rectangular piece about 3/4 of an inch tall by about 1 1/4 inch wide, stick it to the front of the DVR just starting about halfway over the work record and going to the right (just cover of the IR window on the DVR box)  I've heard that a couple layers of plain old masking tape will work too.  Anyway, its enough to filter out interference and still let the remote signals through... Seriously that is what fixed it for me, works like a charm now.  I guess you may have to experiment with the layers (how many) depending on the TV and how much interference it puts out.  But this should solve your problem. 

So I hope this helps

-Matt 

Kudos!
07-09-2008 12:06 PM

Message Edited by Sonyman on 10-09-2008 04:58 AM

this is the reply from my previous thread from Mbritten, who is an ATT IR tech, this works:

I know exactly what your problem is.  It does not only affect your model of TV but actually a few LCD and some plasma TV of all different brands.

I had the same problem and it was quite frustrating, but the solution is very simple.

As it turns out, some TV put out a lot of IR interference, and the DVRs are senstive enough to pick it up.  Here is how to fix it, and I know sounds strange, but trust me.

I used about 20 layers of Glad Press n Seal wrap, stack them out and cut a rectangular piece about 3/4 of an inch tall by about 1 1/4 inch wide, stick it to the front of the DVR just starting about halfway over the work record and going to the right (just cover of the IR window on the DVR box)  I've heard that a couple layers of plain old masking tape will work too.  Anyway, its enough to filter out interference and still let the remote signals through... Seriously that is what fixed it for me, works like a charm now.  I guess you may have to experiment with the layers (how many) depending on the TV and how much interference it puts out.  But this should solve your problem. 

So I hope this helps

-Matt 

Kudos!
07-09-2008 12:06 PM

Message Edited by Sonyman on 10-09-2008 04:58 AM

7 of 33 (1,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2008 9:06:28 AM
(0)
Contributor

Just got set up with Uverse ... same problem with remote and LCD (Samsung). Using your logic I placed 1 piece of 'blue' masking tape on the DVR ... appears to mitigate the problem.

Thanks

Just got set up with Uverse ... same problem with remote and LCD (Samsung). Using your logic I placed 1 piece of 'blue' masking tape on the DVR ... appears to mitigate the problem.

Thanks

8 of 33 (1,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 4, 2008 12:01:29 PM
(0)
Scholar

Sonyman wrote:

That could be a resolution...  Do you have an LCD HDTV with power saving features?

LCD TVs with those settings cause major IR interference.

I love how people thing GladWrap is the answer.  It is not.  The energy savings modes on the TVs (when not set to the brightest factory setting) will cause the issue.  There are plenty of threads around the net explaining the same issue.  That is the less tacky of the two ways to answer your question.

If matt was an IR tech from AT&T (I am not saying anything against this) you would think that they would know that the energy settings would increase the IR interference.

Yes people will say tape fixes it.  Some instances it will, but others it will not.  I had this exact same issue, I tried the tape, saranwrap and everything.  Nothing worked.  I googled the issue, and come to find out it was the backlight from the LCD TV causing the interference.  Don't believe me, google it.  There are probably half a dozen forums out there that have similar posts.

In reference to your post shawford, I have a samsung 32" that was causing the same issues.  The tape is a good way to start for testing but changing the display settings might render a better answer.  Let me know if that helps.

Message Edited by pennmw83 on 11-04-2008 02:03 PM

Sonyman wrote:

That could be a resolution...  Do you have an LCD HDTV with power saving features?

LCD TVs with those settings cause major IR interference.

I love how people thing GladWrap is the answer.  It is not.  The energy savings modes on the TVs (when not set to the brightest factory setting) will cause the issue.  There are plenty of threads around the net explaining the same issue.  That is the less tacky of the two ways to answer your question.

If matt was an IR tech from AT&T (I am not saying anything against this) you would think that they would know that the energy settings would increase the IR interference.

Yes people will say tape fixes it.  Some instances it will, but others it will not.  I had this exact same issue, I tried the tape, saranwrap and everything.  Nothing worked.  I googled the issue, and come to find out it was the backlight from the LCD TV causing the interference.  Don't believe me, google it.  There are probably half a dozen forums out there that have similar posts.

In reference to your post shawford, I have a samsung 32" that was causing the same issues.  The tape is a good way to start for testing but changing the display settings might render a better answer.  Let me know if that helps.

Message Edited by pennmw83 on 11-04-2008 02:03 PM

9 of 33 (1,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2009 8:20:51 AM
(0)
Contributor

Just found a second solution.  Take batteries out of the TV remote.  This works for the Sharp Aquos.  Once everythins is set up on the TV the way you want it  You don't need that thing anyway.

Normans of Texas

Just found a second solution.  Take batteries out of the TV remote.  This works for the Sharp Aquos.  Once everythins is set up on the TV the way you want it  You don't need that thing anyway.

Normans of Texas

10 of 33 (1,313 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2009 8:54:20 AM
(0)
Scholar
Pennw83, if you had been thru as much frustration as I have had with this, you would be glad to find any fix.  Not only did I rely on mbritten, I also had three premium techs, one supervisor, one manager and a Sony Factory tech and they had no cluse as to what to try.  The Glad wrap fix was the first I had ever heard and I was just glad something worked.  I had tried all the power saving features before and nothing changed. I adjusted  the backlight and it worked better until ATT did an upgrade and I started having issues again.  I adjusted the backlight up some more and it seems to be working without the Glad wrap.  I am crossing my fingers that it will hold on the long run.
Message Edited by Sonyman on 01-02-2009 08:59 AM
Pennw83, if you had been thru as much frustration as I have had with this, you would be glad to find any fix.  Not only did I rely on mbritten, I also had three premium techs, one supervisor, one manager and a Sony Factory tech and they had no cluse as to what to try.  The Glad wrap fix was the first I had ever heard and I was just glad something worked.  I had tried all the power saving features before and nothing changed. I adjusted  the backlight and it worked better until ATT did an upgrade and I started having issues again.  I adjusted the backlight up some more and it seems to be working without the Glad wrap.  I am crossing my fingers that it will hold on the long run.
Message Edited by Sonyman on 01-02-2009 08:59 AM

11 of 33 (1,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2009 3:28:14 PM
(0)
Contributor

If you have a remote for the TV. take out the batteries.  This immediately stopps the IR communication between the TV and its remote.  That was the problem with mine.  Works perfectly now.  Some brands of TV )especially larger LCD and Plasma models ) have a constant communication scheme between the remote and the TV.  REally wreaks havoc on the weaker Motorola signal which seems to be intermittent.  Disable the remote and you disable the com link. 

Regards,

TLN

If you have a remote for the TV. take out the batteries.  This immediately stopps the IR communication between the TV and its remote.  That was the problem with mine.  Works perfectly now.  Some brands of TV )especially larger LCD and Plasma models ) have a constant communication scheme between the remote and the TV.  REally wreaks havoc on the weaker Motorola signal which seems to be intermittent.  Disable the remote and you disable the com link. 

Regards,

TLN

12 of 33 (1,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2009 5:55:16 AM
(0)
Contributor

I have a Sharp Aquos.  Itried removing the batteries from the remote...that didn't work for me but I did turn off the power saving OPC setting.  The picture is brighter than with the power saving feature turned on...and best of all, no interference with the U-verse box.

Rich

I have a Sharp Aquos.  Itried removing the batteries from the remote...that didn't work for me but I did turn off the power saving OPC setting.  The picture is brighter than with the power saving feature turned on...and best of all, no interference with the U-verse box.

Rich

13 of 33 (1,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 13, 2009 3:27:14 PM
(0)
Guru

There is a known issue occurring with some LCD and Plasma televisions. On occasion, the Uverse remote will fail to control Uverse receiver and TV functions because of TV brightness settings which conflict with remote's infrared signal. In some cases, pressing the remote up directly in front of the receiver causes it to work. The problem may appear as a battery issue, but replacing the batteries does not fix the issue. The following explains how to make adjustments on the television which will fix the issue.

• Do you have similar problems with your previous cable, satellite or other devices in the home around the TV’s? This is a common problem for most in-home IR entertainment equipment.
  • To determine if the devices close to the STB are causing the IR interference, try the following:

1. Turn off the other IR sourced devices and attempt to change the channels on the STB.
  2. With the STB connected and powered on, move it away from the device in question and test channel changing capabilities with the STB in different locations.

3. If you have no way of viewing video and are trying to isolate a TV as the source of the IR interference, turn the TV off. The data indicator will flash with traffic on the STB once it receives the remotes signal to change a channel.

• If the source of theinterference is determined to be an LCD or Plasma Television and moving the STB is not an option:
  1. It often stops once the TV has been on for a while, so simply wait a minute or so. This occurs when the Television goes into a cool down mode.

2. Change the backlight setting on the LCD (if possible).

3. Do not leave the TV on its default picture mode usually called Vivid or Dynamic. (A lot of sets come preset with this feature on to enhance colors to look more natural under certain types of lighting.

4. Turn off Optical Picture Control/OPC if applicable (not available on all displays). This auto adjusts brightness on LCD/Plasma displays.

5. If the item affected is in direct sunlight, move it to a place where it's not hit by direct sunlight.

6. Try to disable the energy saving mode if the television set has one.

Note: It is important to remember that while these methods are being used to possibly rectify an isolated IR problem, the best way is to move the STB away from the source.

There is a known issue occurring with some LCD and Plasma televisions. On occasion, the Uverse remote will fail to control Uverse receiver and TV functions because of TV brightness settings which conflict with remote's infrared signal. In some cases, pressing the remote up directly in front of the receiver causes it to work. The problem may appear as a battery issue, but replacing the batteries does not fix the issue. The following explains how to make adjustments on the television which will fix the issue.

• Do you have similar problems with your previous cable, satellite or other devices in the home around the TV’s? This is a common problem for most in-home IR entertainment equipment.
  • To determine if the devices close to the STB are causing the IR interference, try the following:

1. Turn off the other IR sourced devices and attempt to change the channels on the STB.
  2. With the STB connected and powered on, move it away from the device in question and test channel changing capabilities with the STB in different locations.

3. If you have no way of viewing video and are trying to isolate a TV as the source of the IR interference, turn the TV off. The data indicator will flash with traffic on the STB once it receives the remotes signal to change a channel.

• If the source of theinterference is determined to be an LCD or Plasma Television and moving the STB is not an option:
  1. It often stops once the TV has been on for a while, so simply wait a minute or so. This occurs when the Television goes into a cool down mode.

2. Change the backlight setting on the LCD (if possible).

3. Do not leave the TV on its default picture mode usually called Vivid or Dynamic. (A lot of sets come preset with this feature on to enhance colors to look more natural under certain types of lighting.

4. Turn off Optical Picture Control/OPC if applicable (not available on all displays). This auto adjusts brightness on LCD/Plasma displays.

5. If the item affected is in direct sunlight, move it to a place where it's not hit by direct sunlight.

6. Try to disable the energy saving mode if the television set has one.

Note: It is important to remember that while these methods are being used to possibly rectify an isolated IR problem, the best way is to move the STB away from the source.

14 of 33 (1,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 15, 2009 9:43:59 AM
(0)
Scholar

Haha...good one guys...you got me.  I put 20 layers of Glad Press N Seal on my DVR and low and behold it can't communite with my remote at all now.  Can't believe I fell for that :smileyhappy:

Wes

Haha...good one guys...you got me.  I put 20 layers of Glad Press N Seal on my DVR and low and behold it can't communite with my remote at all now.  Can't believe I fell for that :smileyhappy:

Wes

15 of 33 (1,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 18, 2009 4:37:19 PM
(0)
Teacher

I had the same problem with my Sharp Aquos (se94u) when it was connected with HDMI.

When the remote wasn't working I could switch the HDMI input I used on the TV and it would work for a day-or-so. I switched to component cables a couple weeks ago and haven't had a problem since.

HDMI cable backfeed a signal to the device it is connected to.

I had the same problem with my Sharp Aquos (se94u) when it was connected with HDMI.

When the remote wasn't working I could switch the HDMI input I used on the TV and it would work for a day-or-so. I switched to component cables a couple weeks ago and haven't had a problem since.

HDMI cable backfeed a signal to the device it is connected to.

16 of 33 (1,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2009 9:57:29 AM
(0)
Teacher

Turns out for mine after trying tape, component cables, and removing batteries, all I had to to was turn of the OPC setting.

OPC setting (sharp lcd) detects the amount of light in a scene and automatically adjust the contrast.

Turns out for mine after trying tape, component cables, and removing batteries, all I had to to was turn of the OPC setting.

OPC setting (sharp lcd) detects the amount of light in a scene and automatically adjust the contrast.

17 of 33 (1,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 24, 2009 11:27:45 PM
(0)
Teacher
This has been driving me crazy since I bought a Samsung LCD TV. I can't find any TV settings that make a difference. I bought a longer HDMI cable and moved the receiver to within a couple of feet of the remote, and it still doesn't work well. Maybe I'm getting fewer cases where pushing a button does the wrong thing, but plenty of cases where pushing a button does nothing. I'm beginning to wish I could get a remote that uses a wire instead of IR.
This has been driving me crazy since I bought a Samsung LCD TV. I can't find any TV settings that make a difference. I bought a longer HDMI cable and moved the receiver to within a couple of feet of the remote, and it still doesn't work well. Maybe I'm getting fewer cases where pushing a button does the wrong thing, but plenty of cases where pushing a button does nothing. I'm beginning to wish I could get a remote that uses a wire instead of IR.

18 of 33 (1,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2009 11:05:33 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Then you could try the Glad press'n'seal solution: http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=Uverse_TV_Equipment&message.id=15715&query.id=2841...

:smileywink:

Chris

I want CBET Channel 9    Please NO SD stretch-o-vision HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition

Then you could try the Glad press'n'seal solution: http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=Uverse_TV_Equipment&message.id=15715&query.id=2841#M15715

:smileywink:

Chris

I want CBET Channel 9    Please NO SD stretch-o-vision HD Channels

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

19 of 33 (1,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2009 1:31:22 PM
(0)
Scholar

jwwalker wrote:

I had the same issue as you.  I too have a samsung TV.  I personally do not like the glad press'n'seal method, as I pride myself on my electronics (I am just VERY PICKY about presentation).  But it is your own opinion as to what works.  All I had to do was turn off the enery saving feature, and turned the color mode to the brightest it could be, within the factory settings, such as "Dynamic" or "Standard" (Samsung settings).  The "Movie" setting was too dark, and it also caused the issues with teh IR interferance.  I had to deal with this problem for probably 6 months until I started hunting around the internet and reading all these posts about people having the same issues.

Just making those few display changes has never made me happier.  Yes, I know that I am a power nazi, but I have to deal with the fact that for it to work, I have to have not power settings enabled.

JWWalker, let me know if the changing of the settings helped.

Message Edited by pennmw83 on 02-25-2009 03:36 PM

mibrnsurg wrote:
Then you could try the Glad press'n'seal solution: http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=Uverse_TV_Equipment&message.id=15715&query.id=2841...
:robotwink:
Chris
I personally would LOVE to see some pictures of how the "press'n'seal" method looks aesthetically.   Sounds like you will have a wart growing off the mackine, IMHO.
Message Edited by pennmw83 on 02-25-2009 03:39 PM

jwwalker wrote:

I had the same issue as you.  I too have a samsung TV.  I personally do not like the glad press'n'seal method, as I pride myself on my electronics (I am just VERY PICKY about presentation).  But it is your own opinion as to what works.  All I had to do was turn off the enery saving feature, and turned the color mode to the brightest it could be, within the factory settings, such as "Dynamic" or "Standard" (Samsung settings).  The "Movie" setting was too dark, and it also caused the issues with teh IR interferance.  I had to deal with this problem for probably 6 months until I started hunting around the internet and reading all these posts about people having the same issues.

Just making those few display changes has never made me happier.  Yes, I know that I am a power nazi, but I have to deal with the fact that for it to work, I have to have not power settings enabled.

JWWalker, let me know if the changing of the settings helped.

Message Edited by pennmw83 on 02-25-2009 03:36 PM

mibrnsurg wrote:
Then you could try the Glad press'n'seal solution: http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=Uverse_TV_Equipment&message.id=15715&query.id=2841#M15715
:robotwink:
Chris
I personally would LOVE to see some pictures of how the "press'n'seal" method looks aesthetically.   Sounds like you will have a wart growing off the mackine, IMHO.
Message Edited by pennmw83 on 02-25-2009 03:39 PM

20 of 33 (1,195 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 25, 2009 8:26:57 PM
(0)
Teacher

I changed the picture and energy saver settings on the TV, and it seems to be helping, though the picture is now so bright that it kind of hurts my eyes.

What's the theory behind making it brighter?  I thought the problem was that the TV puts out too much infrared light, and I would expect that to go hand in hand with putting out a lot of visible light.

I changed the picture and energy saver settings on the TV, and it seems to be helping, though the picture is now so bright that it kind of hurts my eyes.

What's the theory behind making it brighter?  I thought the problem was that the TV puts out too much infrared light, and I would expect that to go hand in hand with putting out a lot of visible light.

21 of 33 (1,388 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2009 12:00:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

We don't know why it works, but shutting off some of those settings make the remote work better, they must be throwing off IR when they are turned on.  You should be able to lower the brightness on that individual picture setting so it doesn't hurt your eyes. :smileywink:

Chris

I want CBET Channel 9   Please NO SD stretch-o-vision HD Channels

We don't know why it works, but shutting off some of those settings make the remote work better, they must be throwing off IR when they are turned on.  You should be able to lower the brightness on that individual picture setting so it doesn't hurt your eyes. :smileywink:

Chris

22 of 33 (1,388 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2009 1:39:15 PM
(0)
Scholar

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

mibrnsug is right.  For some reason, some of the current LCD TVs almost have an IR pollution issue (in some form or fashion).  I know it it horribly bright ( I am the same way, it just took me some time to get used to it).  And also, you would think having it brighter would cause more of an issue, but it does not, which it very strange in it's own sense.

Turning down the brightness alone does not mess up the IR issue, as I have tried this and I have had success with this as well.  I never knew this issue existed until I got my UVerse.

mibrnsurg wrote:

Chris

mibrnsug is right.  For some reason, some of the current LCD TVs almost have an IR pollution issue (in some form or fashion).  I know it it horribly bright ( I am the same way, it just took me some time to get used to it).  And also, you would think having it brighter would cause more of an issue, but it does not, which it very strange in it's own sense.

Turning down the brightness alone does not mess up the IR issue, as I have tried this and I have had success with this as well.  I never knew this issue existed until I got my UVerse.

23 of 33 (1,388 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2009 2:35:41 PM
(0)
Contributor

One piece of blue masking tape worked like a charm!

I rather do this than mess with my power saving features of my TV or my picture settings.  After all thats part of the features of the TV... why should we have to loose them for this issue.  Blue tape... simple fix.  It worked.

Also note that I have a IR Motion Sensor in the same room and pointing in the direction of the STB.  Wonder if this was the real issue and not the TV's energy saving features.  My TV is an LCD Toshiba by the way.

Good luck!

Message Edited by JRunner01 on 07-26-2009 06:00 PM
Message Edited by JRunner01 on 07-26-2009 06:05 PM

One piece of blue masking tape worked like a charm!

I rather do this than mess with my power saving features of my TV or my picture settings.  After all thats part of the features of the TV... why should we have to loose them for this issue.  Blue tape... simple fix.  It worked.

Also note that I have a IR Motion Sensor in the same room and pointing in the direction of the STB.  Wonder if this was the real issue and not the TV's energy saving features.  My TV is an LCD Toshiba by the way.

Good luck!

Message Edited by JRunner01 on 07-26-2009 06:00 PM
Message Edited by JRunner01 on 07-26-2009 06:05 PM

24 of 33 (1,388 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2009 2:55:56 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

The problem is masking tape doesn't work for everyone. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

The problem is masking tape doesn't work for everyone. :smileywink:

Chris

25 of 33 (1,388 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2009 3:03:20 PM
(0)
Contributor
Wonder why it works on some and not others ... the tape?  Maybe they need to use more?  Or depending on the opacity of the tape you may need one piece vs two peices that may cause a total block of the signal, thus not being able to change your channels at all.  If it works for some then it must be on the right track, just need to experiement with different tapes perhaps?
Message Edited by JRunner01 on 07-26-2009 06:04 PM
Wonder why it works on some and not others ... the tape?  Maybe they need to use more?  Or depending on the opacity of the tape you may need one piece vs two peices that may cause a total block of the signal, thus not being able to change your channels at all.  If it works for some then it must be on the right track, just need to experiement with different tapes perhaps?
Message Edited by JRunner01 on 07-26-2009 06:04 PM

26 of 33 (1,388 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2009 3:12:20 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

Have a hunch it's some TVs putting out more IR interference than others (as the IR signal from the remote

gets through the masking tape)  or possibly the placement of the TV and DVR/STB. :smileywink:

Chris

Have a hunch it's some TVs putting out more IR interference than others (as the IR signal from the remote

gets through the masking tape)  or possibly the placement of the TV and DVR/STB. :smileywink:

Chris

27 of 33 (1,388 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2009 3:57:06 PM
(0)
Contributor

Techs around here dont even know this is the possible reason.  They were telling me to change from HDMI to COMPONENT cables to fix this issue.  Its amazing how ATT hasnt found this issue out already with all the new homes with LCD and the newer TVs with these features that send garbage IR.  Sure hope they are reading these forums in hopes a solution one day will surface in a new box or software update.

Message Edited by JRunner01 on 07-26-2009 06:58 PM

Techs around here dont even know this is the possible reason.  They were telling me to change from HDMI to COMPONENT cables to fix this issue.  Its amazing how ATT hasnt found this issue out already with all the new homes with LCD and the newer TVs with these features that send garbage IR.  Sure hope they are reading these forums in hopes a solution one day will surface in a new box or software update.

Message Edited by JRunner01 on 07-26-2009 06:58 PM

28 of 33 (1,388 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 23, 2009 4:16:57 PM
(0)
Contributor

Had to register just to thank you in my reply.

I had read that the power savings feature was the problem on my Samsung when using the U-verse remote. While it helped to put the energy savings to off or low, the signal would still be dropped frequently and pushing the button would not work. Frustrating, say the least.

I tried everything. I even had the Samsung repair guy come out, and he said it was the cable box, not the TV. (I have an LCD 6 something series).

It wasn't until I read your post that I tried taking the backlight settings down to zero. The remote works a hundred times better. Still no response on some button pushes, but much much fewer times than before.  

Thanks again.

Had to register just to thank you in my reply.

I had read that the power savings feature was the problem on my Samsung when using the U-verse remote. While it helped to put the energy savings to off or low, the signal would still be dropped frequently and pushing the button would not work. Frustrating, say the least.

I tried everything. I even had the Samsung repair guy come out, and he said it was the cable box, not the TV. (I have an LCD 6 something series).

It wasn't until I read your post that I tried taking the backlight settings down to zero. The remote works a hundred times better. Still no response on some button pushes, but much much fewer times than before.  

Thanks again.

29 of 33 (1,388 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2010 10:09:13 AM
(0)
Teacher

My Solution to the problem.  The glad press and seal did help some and got the remote working 50%. What really helped was stumbling upon this thread, http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_102-0.html?threadID=313706&start=780&tag=forum-w;forums06  .  I changed the backlight setting like others had and now the remote was 100%. Also buried in there (the thread is 791 posts long) was a recall notice for the exact same model TV (Samsung LN46A850) I had. I went to the Samsung site and lo and behold found this, http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/pop_troubleshooting.jsp?ia_cd=02010100&model_name=LN46A850... . You will need to click on the link for remote control issues as it will not allow me to copy and paste it directly. I have placed a warranty service call with Samsung and soon hope to have this fixed. In the mean time might I suggest that others who have this issue check with their TV manufactures to see if they have issued a recall or even suggestions on the fix. Sincerely GM

My Solution to the problem.  The glad press and seal did help some and got the remote working 50%. What really helped was stumbling upon this thread, http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_102-0.html?threadID=313706&start=780&tag=forum-w;forums06  .  I changed the backlight setting like others had and now the remote was 100%. Also buried in there (the thread is 791 posts long) was a recall notice for the exact same model TV (Samsung LN46A850) I had. I went to the Samsung site and lo and behold found this, http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/pop_troubleshooting.jsp?ia_cd=02010100&model_name=LN46A850S1F . You will need to click on the link for remote control issues as it will not allow me to copy and paste it directly. I have placed a warranty service call with Samsung and soon hope to have this fixed. In the mean time might I suggest that others who have this issue check with their TV manufactures to see if they have issued a recall or even suggestions on the fix. Sincerely GM

30 of 33 (1,388 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments