Remote works off and on with the U-verse box

Contributor

Remote works off and on with the U-verse box

Here's a fun problem.  Our remote works intermittently with our box.  Sometimes the remote will only work if it is touching the U-verse box.  Other times it seems to work just fine.  We changed the remote batteries.  Nothing is blocking the "eye" of the box.  We even had a new box installed.  We bought longer cables to pull the box away from the TV and other AV equipment, and this seemed to help a little.  When the TV is off we can tell the remote is working because the little light on the box flashes when we hit buttons on the remote.  Our TV is a Sharp Aquos. Could it be the TV 

My next thought is that the gateway and battery back up are right behind the wall where the TV and AV equipment is.  Maybe if we move this equipment to another room this will fix the problem.

Has anyone had this problem? 

Message 1 of 33
Teacher

Re: Remote works off and on with the U-verse box

I had the same problem with my Sharp Aquos (se94u) when it was connected with HDMI.

When the remote wasn't working I could switch the HDMI input I used on the TV and it would work for a day-or-so. I switched to component cables a couple weeks ago and haven't had a problem since.

HDMI cable backfeed a signal to the device it is connected to.

Message 16 of 33
Teacher

Turns out for mine after trying tape, component cables, and removing batteries, all I had to to was turn of the OPC setting.

OPC setting (sharp lcd) detects the amount of light in a scene and automatically adjust the contrast.

Tags (2)
Message 17 of 33
Teacher

This has been driving me crazy since I bought a Samsung LCD TV. I can't find any TV settings that make a difference. I bought a longer HDMI cable and moved the receiver to within a couple of feet of the remote, and it still doesn't work well. Maybe I'm getting fewer cases where pushing a button does the wrong thing, but plenty of cases where pushing a button does nothing. I'm beginning to wish I could get a remote that uses a wire instead of IR.
Message 18 of 33
ACE - Expert

Then you could try the Glad press'n'seal solution: http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=Uverse_TV_Equipment&message.id=15715&query.id=2841...

:smileywink:

Chris

I want CBET Channel 9    Please NO SD stretch-o-vision HD Channels
1-800-983-2811 to avoid Mr. Voice Recognition

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 19 of 33
Scholar

jwwalker wrote:
This has been driving me crazy since I bought a Samsung LCD TV. I can't find any TV settings that make a difference. I bought a longer HDMI cable and moved the receiver to within a couple of feet of the remote, and it still doesn't work well. Maybe I'm getting fewer cases where pushing a button does the wrong thing, but plenty of cases where pushing a button does nothing. I'm beginning to wish I could get a remote that uses a wire instead of IR.

I had the same issue as you.  I too have a samsung TV.  I personally do not like the glad press'n'seal method, as I pride myself on my electronics (I am just VERY PICKY about presentation).  But it is your own opinion as to what works.  All I had to do was turn off the enery saving feature, and turned the color mode to the brightest it could be, within the factory settings, such as "Dynamic" or "Standard" (Samsung settings).  The "Movie" setting was too dark, and it also caused the issues with teh IR interferance.  I had to deal with this problem for probably 6 months until I started hunting around the internet and reading all these posts about people having the same issues.

Just making those few display changes has never made me happier.  Yes, I know that I am a power nazi, but I have to deal with the fact that for it to work, I have to have not power settings enabled.

JWWalker, let me know if the changing of the settings helped.

Message Edited by pennmw83 on 02-25-2009 03:36 PM

mibrnsurg wrote:
Then you could try the Glad press'n'seal solution: http://utalk.att.com/utalk/board/message?board.id=Uverse_TV_Equipment&message.id=15715&query.id=2841...
:robotwink:
Chris
I personally would LOVE to see some pictures of how the "press'n'seal" method looks aesthetically.   Sounds like you will have a wart growing off the mackine, IMHO.
Message Edited by pennmw83 on 02-25-2009 03:39 PM
Message 20 of 33
Teacher

I changed the picture and energy saver settings on the TV, and it seems to be helping, though the picture is now so bright that it kind of hurts my eyes.

What's the theory behind making it brighter?  I thought the problem was that the TV puts out too much infrared light, and I would expect that to go hand in hand with putting out a lot of visible light.

Message 21 of 33
ACE - Expert

We don't know why it works, but shutting off some of those settings make the remote work better, they must be throwing off IR when they are turned on.  You should be able to lower the brightness on that individual picture setting so it doesn't hurt your eyes. :smileywink:

Chris

I want CBET Channel 9   Please NO SD stretch-o-vision HD Channels

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (2)
Message 22 of 33
Scholar

mibrnsurg wrote:

We don't know why it works, but shutting off some of those settings make the remote work better, they must be throwing off IR when they are turned on.  You should be able to lower the brightness on that individual picture setting so it doesn't hurt your eyes. :smileywink:

Chris

I want CBET Channel 9   Please NO SD stretch-o-vision HD Channels

mibrnsug is right.  For some reason, some of the current LCD TVs almost have an IR pollution issue (in some form or fashion).  I know it it horribly bright ( I am the same way, it just took me some time to get used to it).  And also, you would think having it brighter would cause more of an issue, but it does not, which it very strange in it's own sense.

Turning down the brightness alone does not mess up the IR issue, as I have tried this and I have had success with this as well.  I never knew this issue existed until I got my UVerse.

Message 23 of 33
Contributor

One piece of blue masking tape worked like a charm!

I rather do this than mess with my power saving features of my TV or my picture settings.  After all thats part of the features of the TV... why should we have to loose them for this issue.  Blue tape... simple fix.  It worked.

Also note that I have a IR Motion Sensor in the same room and pointing in the direction of the STB.  Wonder if this was the real issue and not the TV's energy saving features.  My TV is an LCD Toshiba by the way.

Good luck!

Message Edited by JRunner01 on 07-26-2009 06:00 PM
Message Edited by JRunner01 on 07-26-2009 06:05 PM
Message 24 of 33
ACE - Expert

The problem is masking tape doesn't work for everyone. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 25 of 33
Contributor

Wonder why it works on some and not others ... the tape?  Maybe they need to use more?  Or depending on the opacity of the tape you may need one piece vs two peices that may cause a total block of the signal, thus not being able to change your channels at all.  If it works for some then it must be on the right track, just need to experiement with different tapes perhaps?
Message Edited by JRunner01 on 07-26-2009 06:04 PM
Message 26 of 33
ACE - Expert

Have a hunch it's some TVs putting out more IR interference than others (as the IR signal from the remote

gets through the masking tape)  or possibly the placement of the TV and DVR/STB. :smileywink:

Chris

Please NO SD stretch-o-vision or 480 SD HD Channels
YRMV IMHO Simply a U-verse user, nothing more

Message 27 of 33
Contributor

Techs around here dont even know this is the possible reason.  They were telling me to change from HDMI to COMPONENT cables to fix this issue.  Its amazing how ATT hasnt found this issue out already with all the new homes with LCD and the newer TVs with these features that send garbage IR.  Sure hope they are reading these forums in hopes a solution one day will surface in a new box or software update.

Message Edited by JRunner01 on 07-26-2009 06:58 PM
Message 28 of 33
Highlighted
Contributor

Had to register just to thank you in my reply.

I had read that the power savings feature was the problem on my Samsung when using the U-verse remote. While it helped to put the energy savings to off or low, the signal would still be dropped frequently and pushing the button would not work. Frustrating, say the least.

I tried everything. I even had the Samsung repair guy come out, and he said it was the cable box, not the TV. (I have an LCD 6 something series).

It wasn't until I read your post that I tried taking the backlight settings down to zero. The remote works a hundred times better. Still no response on some button pushes, but much much fewer times than before.  

Thanks again.

Message 29 of 33
Teacher

My Solution to the problem.  The glad press and seal did help some and got the remote working 50%. What really helped was stumbling upon this thread, http://forums.cnet.com/5208-13973_102-0.html?threadID=313706&start=780&tag=forum-w;forums06  .  I changed the backlight setting like others had and now the remote was 100%. Also buried in there (the thread is 791 posts long) was a recall notice for the exact same model TV (Samsung LN46A850) I had. I went to the Samsung site and lo and behold found this, http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/popup/pop_troubleshooting.jsp?ia_cd=02010100&model_name=LN46A850... . You will need to click on the link for remote control issues as it will not allow me to copy and paste it directly. I have placed a warranty service call with Samsung and soon hope to have this fixed. In the mean time might I suggest that others who have this issue check with their TV manufactures to see if they have issued a recall or even suggestions on the fix. Sincerely GM

Message 30 of 33
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T TV Hub!
We have some helpful articles located under TV Hot Topics.
On the left you will see DIRECTV and U-verse TV links. Click on those links for more information regarding Apps, Billing, and TV troubleshooting tips.

Additional Support