Helpful Links

Recording to TV number?

Teacher

Recording to TV number?

One of the reasons we want the able to record up to 4 programs is because with what we have now we have to record to one of the 2 main tv's that are being watched and which ever tv is recording is stuck on the channel it is recording and we want to be able to record to a tv that isn't being watched (such as the bedroom one) so we can go on watchng something else on the main tv's.

On U-Verse can you tell it which tv to record to as I do now?  Or do you have to go to the tv you want to record to and set it up from there?

Message 1 of 16
Professor

Re: Recording to TV number?

You can record from any TV and watch the recording on any TV if I'm understanding your concern correctly.
Message 2 of 16
Teacher

What I am trying to say is...  If I set up pre recording can I have it always record his wrestling to his tv and my soaps to my tv so that neither of us is interrupted by the others recordings.

Another scenario...(DVR is in Living room)

If I am in the kitchen cooking and see that there is 2 shows I want to watch can I send one of them to record to the tv in the bedroom?

I am told you can set up recordings from any room so I am guessing I would not have to go to the living room to set up scenario #2.

Message 3 of 16
Professor

KeeKee wrote:

One of the reasons we want the able to record up to 4 programs is because with what we have now we have to record to one of the 2 main tv's that are being watched and which ever tv is recording is stuck on the channel it is recording and we want to be able to record to a tv that isn't being watched (such as the bedroom one) so we can go on watchng something else on the main tv's.

On U-Verse can you tell it which tv to record to as I do now?  Or do you have to go to the tv you want to record to and set it up from there?

KeeKee, that "we want the able to", should be we want the ABILITY to or we want TO BE able to.Remember, if you have three TV'S all on different channels and you record something, you are not able to change channels. Furthermore, when you record, ALL the TV's get recorded.

Message 4 of 16
Teacher

Well it won't let me change the word able to the word ability so guess you can't edit after there is an answer. That was a mistype.

The way the previous poster stated the answer it sounds like if you hit record from anywhere then all tv's in the house will start recording what they are on.

Message 5 of 16
Professor

That's why it's called U-VERSE. When you hit the little red button on your remote it tells all your STB's to record. Your STB's talk to your computer(s) in internet protocol saying what shows you are recording., When you go to sign in on your U-verse account page at uversecentral.att.com and choose what programs you want to record, the computer talks to all your TV STB'S in internet protocol
Message 6 of 16
Professor

KeeKee wrote:

Well it won't let me change the word able to the word ability so guess you can't edit after there is an answer. That was a mistype.

The way the previous poster stated the answer it sounds like if you hit record from anywhere then all tv's in the house will start recording what they are on.

First of all, it was a grammatical, not a spelling error.If you are watching Channel 2 on your TV and you hit the record button and somebody is watching Channel 7 in another room, Channel 7 will not be recorded unless it was pre-programmed or the person that is watching Channel 7 hit the record button. Hope that helps.

Message 7 of 16
Teacher

Yes that was clearer.  And the way I thought it worked.

What I can do now with my dual DVR with Dish is....  If I am on tv 1 and want to record when I hit the red record button and get the setup menu it shows tv 1 but I can highlight it and change it to tv 2 and it will record in the other room without me having to get up and walk to the other room.

I'm not a grammer scholar but usually get my message across.  And no I don't get my feelings hurt for corrections as I feel the person is generally just trying to help.

Message 8 of 16
Teacher

Scratch that.   Just checked again and it does make you go to the other tv.  I sure thought that at one time we could record to the 2nd tv without going to the other room.
Message 9 of 16
Mentor

Maybe I can explain better,  No matter what tv you record shows on (up to 4 at a time) you can watch those shows on any tv in the house

Message 10 of 16
Teacher

Thanks John I do realize that we can watch any recordings anywhere.

But I think I have it figured out.  Basically whatever tv you want something to record to is the tv you have to go to and use that remote to set up recordings.

Message 11 of 16
Expert

KeeKee wrote:

But I think I have it figured out.  Basically whatever tv you want something to record to is the tv you have to go to and use that remote to set up recordings.

No, that is not correct.  I had Dish Network prior to the switch to U-verse, so I understand the way that you are thinking.  Unlike Dish Network, you are not "recording to a TV" with U-verse.  All U-verse recordings are made on the single DVR.  Thus, you can set up a recording from any TV and watch that recording on any TV connected to U-verse.

Message 12 of 16
Teacher

Ahhh so it records in the background and i can still watch whatever other channel I want to while the recording is happening.  Sort of like the old VCR.
Message 13 of 16
Expert

KeeKee wrote:
Ahhh so it records in the background and i can still watch whatever other channel I want to while the recording is happening.  Sort of like the old VCR.

Exactly!  Just remember that you have 4 live streams which are used to record and/or watch live TV.  If 2 or more TV's are tuned to the same live channel, that counts as the use of a single stream.
Message 14 of 16
Mentor

texasguy37 wrote:

KeeKee wrote:

No, that is not correct.  I had Dish Network prior to the switch to U-verse, so I understand the way that you are thinking.  Unlike Dish Network, you are not "recording to a TV" with U-verse.  All U-verse recordings are made on the single DVR.  Thus, you can set up a recording from any TV and watch that recording on any TV connected to U-verse.

Yes thats what I was trying to say
Message 15 of 16
Share this topic
Announcements

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Entertainment this holiday season!

Additional Support