Ask a question

Posted Nov 28, 2008
7:00:57 AM
View profile
Recorded HD stream freezes on playback to SD TV

We record shows in HD whenever possible. When the recorded HD show is played back on an SD TV, the recording freezes and pauses irregularly. The shows are unwatchable due to this issue. I swapped boxes between locations in the house. I'll start looking at the network stats as indicated in another post, but so far I'm seeing all "112." All STB and the RG are connected via coax.

My question is: are the STB designed to play back HD streams to an SD TV?

Recorded HD stream freezes on playback to SD TV

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2008 7:18:12 AM
(0)
Mentor
yes that will not cause an issue, but you are running into the same issue I am having.  I think I am going to try and get a new DVR and if that doesn't work, I may switch to run everything CAT5.  I'll keep you guys updated.

Re: Recorded HD stream freezes on playback to SD TV

2 of 10 (849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2008 4:14:38 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

wiltshp wrote:
yes that will not cause an issue, but you are running into the same issue I am having.  I think I am going to try and get a new DVR and if that doesn't work, I may switch to run everything CAT5.  I'll keep you guys updated.

Since you are planning to get a new dvr, which means you will lose all of the recorded programs on your dvr.  Why don't you try doing a disaster recovery reboot?  To do that you have push and hold the power button, the ok button, and the down cursor button until the lights flash.  This will also cause you to lose your recordings but it will set the dvr back to the factory settings, and could resolve your issue.  Just a thought.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 10 (849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2009 1:13:23 PM
(0)
Mentor
same problem.  seems to be a buffer limitation when the HD to SD conversion takes  place.  When will this be fixed??? Thanks!
Message Edited by mw8485 on 03-30-2009 04:29 PM

4 of 10 (849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2009 1:19:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

mw8485 wrote:
same problem.  seems to be a buffer limitation when the HD to SD conversion takes  place.  When will this be fixed???

The only fix for that could be to have the dvr replaced.  Seeing that it could be a hardware issue and not software based.  IMO

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

5 of 10 (849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2009 1:33:30 PM
(0)
Mentor
So is it the DVR or the STB that translates the HD to SD? seems to be an intermittent problem btw.
Message Edited by mw8485 on 03-30-2009 04:34 PM

6 of 10 (849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2009 2:01:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
All of the stbs are hd ready.  All you have to do is subscribe to the hd service.  If you are seeing the hd channels then each dvr is "translating" the hd to sd for the specific television it is connected to.  I hope that answers your question.

mw8485 wrote:
So is it the DVR or the STB that translates the HD to SD? seems to be an intermittent problem btw.
Message Edited by mw8485 on 03-30-2009 04:34 PM

7 of 10 (849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2009 2:28:03 PM
(0)
Mentor
so the DVR may be in need of a firmware update?

8 of 10 (849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 30, 2009 2:30:25 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Or just needs to be replaced.

9 of 10 (849 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Aug 5, 2009 6:38:28 PM
(0)
Mentor

Mine seems to be fixed!  So far, recorded HD works fine on SD TVs!  Thanks to a very knowledgeable premise tech Josh!  I had a dispatch for Storms: Lag, video image distortion and digital noise interference today.   Resolution: Removed ground from balun and replaced coax splitter.  Prior to the fix the COAX network bandwidth was at 85 meg with tons of errors.  Post fix, 112 meg no errors.  :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: :smileyhappy: 

Important Note: Live HD (less bandwidth used on the COAX) on a SD TV was never a problem, only recorded HD.

10 of 10 (849 Views)